Previous owner sold me a tank with multiple leaks... options?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a very large tank (240) and was told the tank was in outstanding condition, it was even set up when I picked it up. Upon leak testing and inspection once getting it home I found 2 leaks over the sump, awfully convenient place for the previous owners. It appears some silicone was possibly scraped back and there may have been a repair attempt? I am not sure, previous owners aren't giving up much ground.
Wondering what my options beyond spending 5k on a new one are, I know the risks of trying to apply silicone to an already put together tank, but any other options would be helpful.
Also curious if anyone is aware of the legalities if I decide to have this tank dumped in the previous owners driveway. (with many more "leaks")

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dispute the charges with your credit card company or pay pal if you used that sort of payment method. If not, you could try small claims court. Keep the tank in the same condition though, you would need it for evidence. I wouldn’t try to fix it personally, I would always have the nightmare scenario of a 240 gallon saltwater flood on my mind.

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume the tank is just full of water currently and nothing else..?
I leak test every tank and pipe work - even new- with FW before I’d dream of putting anything in.

drain it out and repair it?? Any pictures of where the leaks are?

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dispute the charges with your credit card company or pay pal if you used that sort of payment method. If not, you could try small claims court. Keep the tank in the same condition though, you would need it for evidence. I wouldn’t try to fix it personally, I would always have the nightmare scenario of a 240 gallon saltwater flood on my mind.
yea that works or you could buy a new tank and then try to dispute that lol

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sucks. When I bought a used tank I did reseal with silicone. Scraped off all the old silicone and resealed it. I didn't take it apart just scraped the old off and laid a new bead all around. It worked good and held water with no leaks but it also wasn't the size of tank your dealing with either.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it was a cash deal. I have the same nightmare. I probably don't have many options beyond buying a new one.
Spent the last month designing everything around this particular tank, woohoo

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the water leak coming from the bulkhead? That could have happened just from disconnecting and reconnecting. That happened with my used 90 a few years back. I considered that operator error and it was fine once I went back, tightened things up and siliconed everything.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the water leak coming from the bulkhead? That could have happened just from disconnecting and reconnecting. That happened with my used 90 a few years back. I considered that operator error and it was fine once I went back, tightened things up and siliconed everything.
Bulk heads are good, I replaced 3/4 no leaks there, leaks are at a front and rear corner.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was thinking it could be a leaky bulkhead as well. How is it leaking directly over the sump if its not a bulkhead? You'd see a crack otherwise wouldnt you?

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking it could be a leaky bulkhead as well. How is it leaking directly over the sump if its not a bulkhead? You'd see a crack otherwise wouldnt you?
Bulk heads are good, plus when I noticed the leak there wasn't even any water in the overflows. I leak tested it without filling those

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not eliminate the possibility that the tank was not leaking for them. Moving a tank (especially that large) is going to put a lot of stress on it. In any case whether paid in cash or not I dont think there is any recourse whatsoever in this scenario I cant imagine even a small claims court judge siding with you in the circumstances.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not eliminate the possibility that the tank was not leaking for them. Moving a tank (especially that large) is going to put a lot of stress on it. In any case whether paid in cash or not I dont think there is any recourse whatsoever in this scenario I cant imagine even a small claims court judge siding with you in the circumstances.
My concern is as to why the silicone has been scraped away in the 2 areas in question.
You are probably right, cut the losses and start from scratch. What a shame.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, I agree with @mdb_talon on this one. a judge would say... it was filled a running when you bought it, the you drained it and drove it across town, moved it blah blah blah.... I think that you own this puppy.
Hang in there. It may be worth saving if it is not cracked.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is as to why the silicone has been scraped away in the 2 areas in question.
You are probably right, cut the losses and start from scratch. What a shame.

Ya it does suck I feel for you. I have bought countless tanks off CL and never had an issue, but especially after moving one that size (not even considering the money) I would be extremely bummed. Sadly I think you are right though it just time to cut the losses and move on from there.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post up pics of the damaged silicone/attempted repairs? Resealing a tank seems hard, but can be done quite easily in a weekend.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post up pics of the damaged silicone/attempted repairs? Resealing a tank seems hard, but can be done quite easily in a weeken
I can get some pictures later. The tank also has trim around it and one of the leaks seem to come from a seam under the trim. It all sounds awfully nightmarish to me and I cannot lie I am beyond livid. I have put a lot of lost time into this, not to mention the monetary cost as a low income individual.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get some pictures later. The tank also has trim around it and one of the leaks seem to come from a seam under the trim. It all sounds awfully nightmarish to me and I cannot lie I am beyond livid. I have put a lot of lost time into this, not to mention the monetary cost as a low income individual.
One thing to look at is reef clubs around you. I see you are in NC. I know @Bleigh is around Charlotte and has a reef club she is involved with. She may know of someone near you with experience resealing tanks.

If you were in TN or AL. I could point you to 20+ people who can do it and have done it a ton.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it was a cash deal. I have the same nightmare. I probably don't have many options beyond buying a new one.
Spent the last month designing everything around this particular tank, woohoo
What brand is it?

Back