OP
AZ_Reef

AZ_Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We agreed on $1,700 and I am going to see the tank tonight. If there is nothing wrong with it, I'll pick it up next weekend as I need to prepare for it. Any advises on transporting the fish and corals? I live in the North so it's very cold outside and I have to drive 1.5 hours. I am think to put corals in a large container or multiple containers and wrap the container with hand warmer and keep the car temperature at high all time. Same for the fish but with Dr. Tim's stress relief. Can I put Dr. Tim's stress relief in the container for corals?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We agreed on $1,700 and I am going to see the tank tonight. If there is nothing wrong with it, I'll pick it up next weekend as I need to prepare for it. Any advises on transporting the fish and corals? I live in the North so it's very cold outside and I have to drive 1.5 hours. I am think to put corals in a large container or multiple containers and wrap the container with hand warmer and keep the car temperature at high all time. Same for the fish but with Dr. Tim's stress relief. Can I put Dr. Tim's stress relief in the container for corals?
Sounds like a deal! I will leave other pro tank transporters to answer your question. My biggest concern is not to get the tank chipped or scratched, so bring plenty of towel or whatever to protect it.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a truck or trailer? I always transported large amounts of fish/corals in a 40g brute with a heater, bubbler and small powerhead to circulate the water. As for live rock, I’ve just transported them in normal plastic totes with the tank water.

ZaneGreay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get battery powered bubblers for everything and when I bought my new house I used Menards 27g black totes fill 1/2 with tank water and 1/4 new water because they will need a major water change after transportation. And then they tank just wrap with towels or moving blankets if you have real ones. I would bring a little uhaul tow behind just to make sure you can carry everything comfortable and won't risk dumping water every and possibly damaging the interior of your vehicle. I Moved monsters to Ohio fish rescue and that's what we did to get them there

OP
OP
AZ_Reef

AZ_Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a deal! I will leave other pro tank transporters to answer your question. My biggest concern is not to get the tank chipped or scratched, so bring plenty of towel or whatever to protect it.
I bought 170 ft of bubble wrap to protect the tank and stand.

OP
OP
AZ_Reef

AZ_Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a truck or trailer? I always transported large amounts of fish/corals in a 40g brute with a heater, bubbler and small powerhead to circulate the water. As for live rock, I’ve just transported them in normal plastic totes with the tank water.
How did you connect the heater and powerhead to the car?
I have a minivan and planning to rent a trailer from U-Haul for the tank and stand.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a minivan and planning to rent a trailer from U-Haul for the tank and stand.
If you got one of those computer back up battery. Mine will last about 8 hours for a small power head and a heater.

OP
OP
AZ_Reef

AZ_Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some of the pictures I took today. Corals look very healthy to me.

79530971-FFF1-4D89-A872-074261360A99.jpeg 55E2C6DB-C8E7-4C91-BEED-C4961E83BF50.jpeg 2BB2EBC3-A37B-4BD7-95E6-0CBE67E8E566.jpeg 221A43EE-B166-4B0B-8264-9F97BE2B351A.jpeg AD7F9864-7144-4049-A4A2-235C5840916D.jpeg

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally I feel like that goby may be on the thinner side. But kind of hard to tell with the dirty glass. Corals look healthy. Remember to wear protective gear if handline zoas/palys as some have palytoxins...which are not fun. How did the tanks glass in terms of scratches look.

OP
OP
AZ_Reef

AZ_Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I feel like that goby may be on the thinner side. But kind of hard to tell with the dirty glass. Corals look healthy. Remember to wear protective gear if handline zoas/palys as some have palytoxins...which are not fun. How did the tanks glass in terms of scratches look.
I didn’t see any scratches on the tank. Thanks for the advise. I forgot about the gloves. Haha

OP
OP
AZ_Reef

AZ_Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seller said fish only like frozen algae and vitamin and doesn’t feed corals.

Last edited:

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My truck has a 12v outlet in the bed. Does your minivan have a cigarette lighter plug? You could get a charger adapter that plugs in and turns it into two outlets :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back