• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Pricing on this Anemone?

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this black widow anemone for 80 dollars from a LFS. I've looked up some prices for these black widow anemones and some go for upwards of 500 dollars. This anemone is over 6" at least, however I'm not sure just how long it is.

Did the fish store mis-identify this anemone? Is it worth anything more than 80$?

Thanks,
Will

IMG_1954.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO bubble tip anemones are very hard to ID and they are becoming like zoas, the designer name of the month.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this black widow anemone for 80 dollars from a LFS. I've looked up some prices for these black widow anemones and some go for upwards of 500 dollars. This anemone is over 6" at least, however I'm not sure just how long it is.

Did the fish store mis-identify this anemone? Is it worth anything more than 80$?

Thanks,
Will

IMG_1954.jpg
They can be quite easy to ID when you know what you're looking for. What is the color of the oral disk and foot?

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be quite easy to ID when you know what you're looking for. What is the color of the oral disk and foot?
I attached a better pic of the anemone here...

I think the oral disc thing your referring to is white/clear when it comes out. The nem also has white stripes along the rim of the body. The foot is very dark compared to the rest of the nem, I would say it almost looks purple.

Thanks

0.jpg

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached a better pic of the anemone here...

I think the oral disc thing your referring to is white/clear when it comes out. The nem also has white stripes along the rim of the body. The foot is very dark compared to the rest of the nem, I would say it almost looks purple.

Thanks

0.jpg
1587156373587.png

Would you say the disk is dark, somewhat black with white striations? Are the tentacles a metallic red color? I can't quite tell with the quality of the pics.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1587156373587.png

Would you say the disk is dark, somewhat black with white striations? Are the tentacles a metallic red color? I can't quite tell with the quality of the pics.
The disc appears to be lighter than the disc the the nem you showed, however the white striations are present. The tentacles are orange, and get a little darker towards the bottom.

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt look like a black widow to me. they defo are more darker. do you have a top down picture?

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it colors up, I think you will see a result that is a black widow, or very close, judging by what I see right now because it looks a bit bleached, but has what appears to be most of the characteristics of the black widow except saturated color.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it colors up, I think you will see a result that is a black widow, or very close, judging by what I see right now because it looks a bit bleached, but has what appears to be most of the characteristics of the black widow except saturated color.
I've had it for a little less than a month, how do I prevent bleaching?

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had it for a little less than a month, how do I prevent bleaching?
I don't think it's bleached per se, but I think it is stressed from being in a new system. Give it time, good light and feed it small stuff like reef roids. It sounds like it's well on it's way if the foot is dark purple-ish

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back