Prime HD, Hydra 26HD, and Hydra 52HD Upgrade Pucks by Luxdium!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not swapped with anything, it's a High Energy Violet (which is what the UV is in the AI lights), I don't think they're the exact same chips (could be wrong) but it's still a Near UV LED according to the product pages linked above.
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know... Whether they kept that chip the same (so it still behaves like UV) or whether it was changed to another blue. Honestly if the UV kind of but doesn't really give UV then I wouldn't have mind it if they changed it to a more useful blue. :)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@Karen00 see here:
1656955436488.png

1656955467123.png

1656955495094.png
are there any visual comparisons to these “engines”? would like to see the differences in color

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! I was trying to find this on their site before I asked the question but I must've missed it. I thought it would be on each light puck's page but I didn't see anything.
Yep, it's on each lights puck page in the images, that's where I grabbed them from :-D

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if the UV kind of but doesn't really give UV then I wouldn't have mind it if they changed it to a more useful blue. :)
The 'UV' does add a fluorescent 'pop' even if it's not actual UV. Definitely does something different than the blues so I'm glad they kept it (though I wish they'd have put in some 360nm or 385nm diodes)

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but AI has always maintained that they will be enabling Wifi on the new lights at some point, so I believe they're using a combo bluetooth/wifi controller in the unit and simply need to enable it in firmware. The reason that hasn't happened yet, I suspect, is because after EcoTech bought them out (after previous Gen of lights already on market, but before current-gen actually hit the market) they didn't want the fact that AI has Wifi and EcoTech doesn't to pull market share away. Both companies are stating at the moment that "They will be enabling wifi in the near future" and I suspect it's EcoTech that is holding that up...
WiFi, BLE I really don't care. as long as I can connect to my Ipad and control ramps, intensity, color. Something with a good UX/UI That I can connect to a NonHD. That with these new pucks would bring old lights into the present tech.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@luxdium Now if you were to make a chip that would replace the WiFi chip in the non-HD models Plus your new pucks and come up with a controllable app. I mean ppl are paying almost $200 bucks on ebay for the old controllers.
OMG!
There is too much waste in this industry. I understand that that AI wants to keep selling units, But I don't want to throw away a light just because there is some new technology out there. Especially since AI lights are so modular, They can be upgraded easily. This is very exciting, but I think you are going to make me go broke! I have two 24HD, one 24 and one 52 non-HD

WiFi, BLE I really don't care. as long as I can connect to my Ipad and control ramps, intensity, color. Something with a good UX/UI That I can connect to a NonHD. That with these new pucks would bring old lights into the present tech.
Ahh, I misread your first post. I didn't see the 'non-HD models' part or I overlooked it. I understand now. Yeh, it would be really neat if someone could make a Wifi controller/Bluetooth for those... for sure.

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know... Whether they kept that chip the same (so it still behaves like UV) or whether it was changed to another blue. Honestly if the UV kind of but doesn't really give UV then I wouldn't have mind it if they changed it to a more useful blue. :)

They produce more UV than the stock ones, for sure.

UV Comparison.png

UV Comparison -Luxdium, Instagram

In our view, if LEDs don't peak below 395nm, they're not "UV." Many manufacturers have been mislabeling 400-420nm LEDs as "UV," but it's time we challenge the status quo of mislabeling colors. The reason for the 395nm threshold is some variations in LED binning can make those LEDs test around 400nm. Additionally, the human eye being more receptive to violet light wouldn't discern the differences between 395 and sub-400nm apart from the former being dimmer. We could go at or below 395, but the shorter the wavelengths get, the less efficient the LEDs become and the more light is absorbed by the lenses rather than transmitted to the tank. We even had a prototype with 395nm running over a tank for 3 years, but never went that route considering the increased risks of optics overheating over a saltwater environment. As a general rule, plastics and UV don't mix well. So extra care had to be made to ensure ours didn't cross the limits for the materials. The thermal substrates were also redesigned to accommodate the heat produced by more LEDs in the violet band. Despite no thermal paste under either of the clusters, our boards do a better job of transferring heat compared to the factory-installed ones.

Here we can see the hottest point at the center of LUX Engine is about the same temperature as the coldest point in the factory puck in this 26HD. (Left: factory, Right: LUX Engine)

Boards.png

Side-by-Side Thermal -Luxdium, Instagram

These updates allow us to make some pretty beefy upgrades to the spectrum without sacrificing much power.

Spectrum Quality Overlay.png

Spectral Overlay -Luxdium, Instagram

But above all, perhaps the coolest thing is these clusters can now emit AB+ at full tilt and their rendition of that spectrum exceeds the spectral quality of the flagship lights the presets were designed around.

AB+ of all lights.png

AB+ By Various Lights - Luxdium, Instagram

Sidenote: We also have an Instagram where we publish data collected by us and crowdsourced by others. So give that a follow if you want to see more.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They produce more UV than the stock ones, for sure.

UV Comparison.png

UV Comparison -Luxdium, Instagram

In our view, if LEDs don't peak below 395nm, they're not "UV." Many manufacturers have been mislabeling 400-420nm LEDs as "UV," but it's time we challenge the status quo of mislabeling colors. The reason for the 395nm threshold is some variations in LED binning can make those LEDs test around 400nm. Additionally, the human eye being more receptive to violet light wouldn't discern the differences between 395 and sub-400nm apart from the former being dimmer. We could go at or below 395, but the shorter the wavelengths get, the less efficient the LEDs become and the more light is absorbed by the lenses rather than transmitted to the tank. We even had a prototype with 395nm running over a tank for 3 years, but never went that route considering the increased risks of optics overheating over a saltwater environment. As a general rule, plastics and UV don't mix well. So extra care had to be made to ensure ours didn't cross the limits for the materials. The thermal substrates were also redesigned to accommodate the heat produced by more LEDs in the violet band. Despite no thermal paste under either of the clusters, our boards do a better job of transferring heat compared to the factory-installed ones.

Here we can see the hottest point at the center of LUX Engine is about the same temperature as the coldest point in the factory puck in this 26HD. (Left: factory, Right: LUX Engine)

Boards.png

Side-by-Side Thermal -Luxdium, Instagram

These updates allow us to make some pretty beefy upgrades to the spectrum without sacrificing much power.

Spectrum Quality Overlay.png

Spectral Overlay -Luxdium, Instagram

But above all, perhaps the coolest thing is these clusters can now emit AB+ at full tilt and their rendition of that spectrum exceeds the spectral quality of the flagship lights the presets were designed around.

AB+ of all lights.png

AB+ By Various Lights - Luxdium, Instagram

Sidenote: We also have an Instagram where we publish data collected by us and crowdsourced by others. So give that a follow if you want to see more.
Wow, most excellent! Thanks for sharing this! I will definitely catch you on Instagram. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back