Princess parrot quarantine

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my princess parrot fish in my first 10g quarantine tank, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with her but maybe he’s sad/tired of being in the bland tank?
Treating with copper - he’s been in for 1-week.
Noticed today he seems to be maybe a bit lethargic, slightly on his side but he does self correct….

video!:::
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZp9bCVZJo5ryQ9C5p0x621aUUezqbVxNE6X

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems fine but you should get at least a 20L for him.
How are you measuring copper? What kind of copper? What’s the ammonia and ph reading?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got my princess parrot fish in my first 10g quarantine tank, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with her but maybe he’s sad/tired of being in the bland tank?
Treating with copper - he’s been in for 1-week.
Noticed today he seems to be maybe a bit lethargic, slightly on his side but he does self correct….

video!:::
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZp9bCVZJo5ryQ9C5p0x621aUUezqbVxNE6X
Tank is sort of small but provide Good water quality monitoring ammonia with a reliable test kit. They cocoon at night and are messy housekeepers. As for tired, although in copper, it will need a piece of rock/coral (which may absorb copper) but they sharpen their beak like teeth daily on rocks.
Copper- What level are you running and how are you testing it? They dont do well in copper environment and I recommend not to exceed 2. therapeutic level

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, the tank is small for a parrotfish. It isn’t breathing fast, so that’s good.
Is it eating?
What is the ammonia level?
Jay

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is sort of small but provide Good water quality monitoring ammonia with a reliable test kit. They cocoon at night and are messy housekeepers. As for tired, although in copper, it will need a piece of rock/coral (which may absorb copper) but they sharpen their beak like teeth daily on rocks.
Copper- What level are you running and how are you testing it? They dont do well in copper environment and I recommend not to exceed 2. therapeutic level
I only dosed the Cooper per the cupramine bottles directions; 1ml the first day then again 48hrs later… which according to the bottle is .5 mg/L

here’s another vid with some extreme close ups; I’d feel better if I’d seen him eat today but nothing thus far today…

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only dosed the Cooper per the cupramine bottles directions; 1ml the first day then again 48hrs later… which according to the bottle is .5 mg/L

here’s another vid with some extreme close ups; I’d feel better if I’d seen him eat today but nothing thus far today…

Ditch the cupramine and use coppersafe or copper power instead.

also get a Hanna checker. Cost a bit more but it’s worth it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It looks pretty stressed out and the fish still not eating is a bad sign.
Have you tested the ammonia?

Jay

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH and ammonia in my QT tank are both high —- water change??

ph 8.4
ammonia 4.0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

ph 8.4
ammonia 4.0
Absolutely on water change.
Are you testing the copper level ? If so- how?
Do a 25% water change and then for next 7 days, change 1-2 gallons daily. With the new water, you will have to reset the copper level before entering it into quarantine. The Cupramine is fine to use with this fish- Just be sure NOT to exceed the therapeutic dosage

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ph 8.4
ammonia 4.0
Ammonia at 4.0? Good lord its a miracle this fish is still living, As @vetteguy53081 said please waterchanges asap. Parrotfish arent the easiest fish to keep and qting a fish like this is even harder. I assume you are using a HOB filter for the qt, buy some seachem matrix and put it in the HOB filter and get some fritz turbo start. The copper will not kill the bacteria and the matrix gives them something to colonize. It will help QT immensely. If you have to use antibiotics at anytime you will have to start the bacteria over of course.

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s another vid - def on his side more today, anything else to do besides change some water?

Also Nitrite levels are 5ppm and Nitrate is 10ppm

at this rate his probably better off in the DT where at least the numbers are not all out of whack!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here’s another vid - def on his side more today, anything else to do besides change some water?

Also Nitrite levels are 5ppm and Nitrate is 10ppm

at this rate his probably better off in the DT where at least the numbers are not all out of whack!
Disregard nitrite which applies to FW unless sky high.
I suspect you may have false reading on ammonia and I would not be concerned with matrix as water changes will be most effective. On the power filter- did you removed carbon from cartridge?
On the ammonia also, get a second test source by taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once I do the water change how long should it take for him to perk back up ?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going to be ongoing water changes. As in once per day, maybe twice. Its a small tank at 10g and doesnt take much ammonia to make it toxic.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
once I do the water change how long should it take for him to perk back up ?
It will depend on actual toxicity level and amounts of water exchanged. There is no actual number of days to determine other than by water testing with reliable test kit. 5 days will show reduction

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add more beneficial bacteria? Either from an established filter or from bacteria in a bottle products? Another trick is to low the pH which will reduced the toxicity of the ammonia - but that takes pH lowering chemicals and a good way to measure the pH.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back