Pristine water quality for ultimate SPS (and coral) health?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no... not another nutrient/building blocks/NO3 and PO4 debate.

There are so many ways to keep a successful SPS tank, but it all boils down to one thing we can all be responsible for: source water. @UCF Alum got me thinking about this when he asked me if I have ICP results, I told him I didn’t feel like it was worth it for me at the moment, and here’s why

Ever since this reboot, one thing I’ve been really proactive about is making sure my source water is always clean and to always change out the filters ahead of schedule. My water supply does have chloramines, so I really have to be careful as I think my last crash was related to that.

I change my sediment and carbon filters every 4 months, thinking that may be ok. I added another DI canister, now running three. Since my tank is at a point where there’s no turning back anymore, I am super cautious even more.

Enter my DIY Chloramines Killer: cheaper than the BRS unit by $70-80. If you’re facing chloramines and want to make sure what’s entering the tank is clean, make sure you change your filters often (despite what TDS reads) and ensure your. Source. Water. Is. Clean. I credit this reincarnation of my tank as being successful because of the incoming RODI, mainly. Now it’s guaranteed cleaner.

What you’ll need:
20” Pentek big blue filter
Pentek CRFC20-BB Carbon Filter Cartridge
Thread compound
2 x 1” to 1/2” reducer bushings (Home Depot)
2 x 1/2” to quick connect John guest fittings (Home Depot)

enjoy chloramine free water for 19k gallons.
2A172158-14EB-4B9C-8825-ACD976FF1D72.jpeg
58BFDDF2-E74A-4CAD-BF94-D3724F715032.jpeg

happy sps’ ing, guys and hopefully by adding something like this or being proactive about filters will help us all in being successful.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna add this to my home! St lucie county in Florida uses chloramines.

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got it going. Good work.
I have it running before my RO membranes on my 7 stage unit. I’ve noticed TDS jumped up after installing it, assuming it’s from the carbon fines.

Hey, you inspired me to make one!

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it running before my RO membranes on my 7 stage unit. I’ve noticed TDS jumped up after installing it, assuming it’s from the carbon fines.

Hey, you inspired me to make one!

I noticed the same thing. I actually put two other big blues on my home point of entry and feed my rodi off that line AFTER all three filters.

I hope it helps you out.

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the same thing. I actually put two other big blues on my home point of entry and feed my rodi off that line AFTER all three filters.

I hope it helps you out.
Are you suggesting I move the big blue to before the whole RODI unit? I thought about where to put it, and after the two carbon blocks made sense as I wanted it to really be polishing more before the RO membranes, am I wrong?

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you suggesting I move the big blue to before the whole RODI unit? I thought about where to put it, and after the two carbon blocks made sense as I wanted it to really be polishing more before the RO membranes, am I wrong?

No. Keep it how you have it.

njb2345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to make it clear you guys put this after you sediments and carbon filter from the RODI unit.

I just ordered one today and i also ordered a larger 5 micron sediment filter for another big blue and am lost on to where to put it now.

At first i was thinking the big blue 5 micron sediments then big blue chloramines filter and then into my 7 Stage RODI unit but maybe i am thinking wrong now.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never worried about chloramines before but recently added one because my tank is not taking off like they have in the past. Figured it wouldn’t hurt. I am just irritated at the price of the filter on brs, is there a cheaper option?

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to make it clear you guys put this after you sediments and carbon filter from the RODI unit.

I just ordered one today and i also ordered a larger 5 micron sediment filter for another big blue and am lost on to where to put it now.

At first i was thinking the big blue 5 micron sediments then big blue chloramines filter and then into my 7 Stage RODI unit but maybe i am thinking wrong now.
correct; mine goes sediment>universal carbon>universal carbon>Chloramine killer>membranes...
I called BRS and they said some people do it before the whole RODI unit, but then it depends on the sediment coming in too, and to me, I didn't want to kill a $125 filler prematurely, so I would rather change out the sediment and carbon filters before needing to change out the big chloramine filter. If I were you and you bought a separate sediment filter, I'd run the sediment filter and the chloramine killer before the RODI unit. The guy at BRS says he runs BRS sediment>carbon>carbon>20" sediment>chloramine killer>membranes....

I have never worried about chloramines before but recently added one because my tank is not taking off like they have in the past. Figured it wouldn’t hurt. I am just irritated at the price of the filter on brs, is there a cheaper option?
The filter is the most expensive part, and I got it for $125 off of Amazon. But you figure $10/month for a year isn't bad, I'm thinking of changing mine out annually, maybe longer as it's rated to remove chloramines from 19k gallons

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no... not another nutrient/building blocks/NO3 and PO4 debate.

There are so many ways to keep a successful SPS tank, but it all boils down to one thing we can all be responsible for: source water. @UCF Alum got me thinking about this when he asked me if I have ICP results, I told him I didn’t feel like it was worth it for me at the moment, and here’s why

Ever since this reboot, one thing I’ve been really proactive about is making sure my source water is always clean and to always change out the filters ahead of schedule. My water supply does have chloramines, so I really have to be careful as I think my last crash was related to that.

I change my sediment and carbon filters every 4 months, thinking that may be ok. I added another DI canister, now running three. Since my tank is at a point where there’s no turning back anymore, I am super cautious even more.

Enter my DIY Chloramines Killer: cheaper than the BRS unit by $70-80. If you’re facing chloramines and want to make sure what’s entering the tank is clean, make sure you change your filters often (despite what TDS reads) and ensure your. Source. Water. Is. Clean. I credit this reincarnation of my tank as being successful because of the incoming RODI, mainly. Now it’s guaranteed cleaner.

What you’ll need:
20” Pentek big blue filter
Pentek CRFC20-BB Carbon Filter Cartridge
Thread compound
2 x 1” to 1/2” reducer bushings (Home Depot)
2 x 1/2” to quick connect John guest fittings (Home Depot)

enjoy chloramine free water for 19k gallons.
2A172158-14EB-4B9C-8825-ACD976FF1D72.jpeg
58BFDDF2-E74A-4CAD-BF94-D3724F715032.jpeg

happy sps’ ing, guys and hopefully by adding something like this or being proactive about filters will help us all in being successful.

How did you know you had them in your water?

thanks

Back