Pro’s-con’s of In wall vs against wall tank setup?

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. Building a house and have the opportunity to set the basement/fish tank up how I would “dream” it.
So as I try and think through it all, wondering what the pro’s and con’s of an in wall are versus a regular setup free standing in a room (against a wall)? At a minimum I would have all Mechanicals in a fish room behind the tank, but trying to determine if in wall is “better option”? For those with in-wall, do you miss the side views?
Cheers!

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say maintenance having everything. Accessible would be amazing but I don’t like the look . So I would to the tank on the outer wall and do a fish room behind that’s my dream

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, The downsides are that there are no side views, cleaning the front glass, you will be stuck with that size tank until the end of time, and the fact that should you decide to sell, the majority of buyers probably won't think much of a big hole in a wall.

The benefits? Nice, clean look, doesn't waste valuable space in the finished area.

When I finished my basement the original plan was to put my 150 long in-wall. Now that that tank is gone and remodel #2 is in process, I'm very glad that I decided against it and just built a nice stand and hood for it (that added to the selling price when I did pass it on to it's next owner.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're definitely having a fish room behind the tank then I'd say definitely go for the "out of wall" option. I think the ability to see the sides of the tank give a new perspective plus you can have some more fun with placement of corals and aquascaping.

OP
OP
SaracensRugby

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In wall looks cleaner but it isn't for me.

I prefer being able to see in the sides as well. How big of a tank are you planning?
Thinking range of 300-400 gallons. Thanks for all feedback so far; every tank I have had I always go “on my next one I need to do this”....

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking range of 300-400 gallons. Thanks for all feedback so far; every tank I have had I always go “on my next one I need to do this”....

Just to tack onto my point, if you're doing a tank that size that's a lot of size room, that's a 20g long worth of space you can enjoy looking at on each side!

Just my opinion though lol either way is an absolute winner imo, in wall looks real clean

Psychedelic Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the in-wall option, but that was to be able to view both long sides from two different rooms. If only viewing on one long side, I think it is a taste and space decision. What is the physical space you have to work with and what is your personal preference? I love that the "right" option is the one that works best for you. Good luck!

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about either a "peninsula" partition or "corner in wall"

A peninsula partition will still give you that clean floor to ceiling look but tank maintenance will be a bit more difficult than a tradition on wall. The partition can also give your basement room some unique organization with 3 way viewing.

Corner inwall is like a compromise, easier maintainable and 2 viewable sides.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DKmoo's suggestion on the peninsula is a good one! I was thinking of a combo; against the wall BUT with a fish room behind it! Instead of a full tank sized cut out in the wall … just enough for plumbing. That way you get the benefits of side views with all the workings easily accessible in the fish room.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pics to hopefully give you some inspiration first one is a peninsula partition, second, a corner in wall, third is what I think @Patientman is suggesting.
Custom-See-through-Saltwater-Reef-Aquarium.jpg

bb35ff3ce51e92c77abbae3ba313c5f7.jpg

blue-planet-aquarium-services-temp-bg-13b.jpg

On the third one instead of cabinet tops, just make it a wall so you can access and maintain from the room behind it

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pics to hopefully give you some inspiration first one is a peninsula partition, second, a corner in wall, third is what I think @Patientman is suggesting.
bb35ff3ce51e92c77abbae3ba313c5f7.jpg
If started a design from scratch, I would do this. I have always loved the corner "in-wall" design.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely like the idea of the peninsula or corner view idea. If that’s not an option then personally I would go with an out of the wall set up. You’ll still likely see cords from power heads but at least you get more viewing space

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. This is the first I have heard of using a chiller in the winter time, especially in NY state.

Anyway, have you consider a circulation fan? Quickly move warm air from the radiator to other areas of the room/house. Might solve your problem of the radiator and improve the heat flow.

And I agree with Montantk that it might not even better a problem.

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost would be costs. Make sure your fish is room is built to last, and plan ahead for spills and moisture. My fish room gets hot, so I had to add a chiller plumbed into my garage. I also still may add an exhaust fan. Also access to tank for maintenance. Pros would be the aesthetic. In wall looks amazing and clean. I have a cube in the corner of a wall, with two viewing angles.
76D5CF7D-C406-4334-B21E-F3D40A45C59C.jpeg

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back