Pro And Con to Diatom Filters

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

I am in search for the pro effects and con effects to a mixed reef with a diatom filter used intermittently every month or so?

Thanks in advanced

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a chap here who uses one to control parasites .... Robert something.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one. It is simply extremely effective mechanical filtration. It is so effective it plugs quickly.
I have the original Vortex and would add I dont think it would be much use on a tank over 75 gallons.
Having one lets you do things like stir up the bottom and suck all the goo out. Then you recharge it and put it away for another day.

OP
OP
Chewbacca

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I had then the vortexes I know how effective they are, but in a reef system i am unsure

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use the D1 with the optional Super Char powdered activated carbon after every water change on my Discus aquariums. It did a great job of polishing the water, but not sure if there would be any big benefit to a reef tank.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul B uses it as part of his maintenance on his tank. I don't recall how often he uses it, maybe he'll chime in.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What unit is everyone using as the original diatom filter isn’t made anymore (I think)
Corey

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can still get a Vertex. On smaller tanks some use the Merineland Mangnum in big systems people use pool DE filters. Really you can charge any pleated cartridge filter with DE powder so nuclear, liegard, etc can work

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a Hayward (pool size) diatom filter on friend’s tank to try to filter ich out. After about 2 months the re-infection rate is visibly lower, but could be just natural.

pros - very clear water
Cons - clogs fast, if you get a smaller one it may clog in hours. Hayward clogged on average after 2-3 days, it has a handle that you can use to “regenerate” but it only lasts 12-24hrs and then goes back to very low flow.
The other con is maintenance, they’re not built to be regularly maintained, it’s a hassle to do indoors...

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size Hayward and what size tank is it running on? I have been thinking about installing one on a 650 gallon with a bypass so if wanted I could just run it intermittently.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size Hayward and what size tank is it running on? I have been thinking about installing one on a 650 gallon with a bypass so if wanted I could just run it intermittently.

EC40ac and it’s on a 1000g tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back