Pro-Clear 230 Overflow Box -both overflows same height?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought one over flow should be slightly higher than the other, as an emergency drain if the main gets blocked.
This Pro-Clear 230G has both drains exactly at the same height and each has an “insert” that looks a bit like a child’s circular slide.
Anyone heard of this?
Seems very difficult to tune and make quiet. I have to tune both.
Doesn’t make sense

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no emergency drain. And yes you would need to tune both if you added valves. I didn’t add valves to reduce the change of plugging or water backing due to high flow. Overflows straight to the sump. I posted some pics on my build and think there are some other links to ProClear builds.

OP
OP
Uncle99

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess (and hope) the fact that’s there is two drains is the protection if one gets blocked.
Thank you, I will search for those photos

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Uncle99 I am looking into getting this tank (the 150 version). I see you are in Ontario as well. Where did you get it? I don’t see it advertised anywhere online. Are you happy with it? Did you get the overflow quietened down? If not, would it be possible to convert it to Herbie by cutting down one overflow and/or extending the other?

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know on my version the overflows go right to the top so you wouldn’t be able to put a cover on if you extended. If you shorten one you would just decrease the level in your display.

Mine, the previous version the overflows where siliconed in.

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know on my version the overflows go right to the top so you wouldn’t be able to put a cover on if you extended. If you shorten one you would just decrease the level in your display.

Mine, the previous version the overflows where siliconed in.
Thanks Big C. Are the valves provided for the drains ball valves or gate valves?

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe they are ball valves but pretty low quality. I was worried about them possibly blinding over/reduced flow and since there is no emergency drain I didn’t install any. A few folks did and a few replaced them with the BRS (forgot their brand) ones. I replaced the ball kn the return with a BRS gate.

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. From previous experience, you’d need the best possible gate valve to control the drain if converting to Herbie flow - the level on the drain has to be exactly adjusted so that the water level stays just at the emergency drain level, with a slight trickle down it. It requires a lot of patient adjustment, but once you dial it, it is silent. Even the Diaphragm valves provided with Red Sea seem to not cut it after a couple of years based on many comments. Metric piping will make it more challenging to find a good gate valve - I guess could use a converter like you did and add a standard Spears gate valve.

OP
OP
Uncle99

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Uncle99 I am looking into getting this tank (the 150 version). I see you are in Ontario as well. Where did you get it? I don’t see it advertised anywhere online. Are you happy with it? Did you get the overflow quietened down? If not, would it be possible to convert it to Herbie by cutting down one overflow and/or extending the other?
Hi Sordfish
Here are my findings on this tank.
Stand. Excellent. Aluminum Framed. Stunning. I took the feet off it and went right to the floor.
Tank, appears well built, the 230, which to me, was a 165 with a 35 sump) 19mm glass, black back and bottom.
Sump, glass, ok, I used my own.
Overflow. 1 in from return, then divided into 2 outlets. 2 overflows, same height, with some kind of silencer inserted. Yup, silenced, absolutely must have the gates. Took some really small adjusts, but she seems perfectly quiet now.

Cautions
My tank overflows were in metric, did not find this out until installing. Needed metric to standard adaptor to fix. Place in Florida has tons of this stuff....three nice gates 90 bucks.

As Big C mentioned and I agree with, changing the overflow would not be possible.

I got mine from BIg Als (Mississauga) tank and stand for $1000, so, in the end, a couple of mods I was happy to make. They usually get rid of stuff that hasn’t moved in their Tent Sale.

I “hear” that these “final sale items” are Version 1 tanks, and now they are selling V2?
Then again maybe just story.

For the price, happy so far...
F0BF3783-B760-4548-A5F9-42A368243E52.jpeg

Last edited:

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sordfish
Here are my findings on this tank.
Stand. Excellent. Aluminum Framed. Stunning. I took the feet off it and went right to the floor.
Tank, appears well built, the 230, which to me, was a 165 with a 35 sump) 19mm glass, black back and bottom.
Sump, glass, ok, I used my own.
Overflow. 1 in from return, then divided into 2 outlets. 2 overflows, same height, with some kind of silencer inserted. Yup, silenced, absolutely must have the gates. Took some really small adjusts, but she seems perfectly quiet now.

Cautions
My tank overflows were in metric, did not find this out until installing. Needed metric to standard adaptor to fix. Place in Florida has tons of this stuff....three nice gates 90 bucks.

As Big C mentioned and I agree with, changing the overflow would not be possible.

I got mine from BIg Als (Mississauga) tank and stand for $1000, so, in the end, a couple of mods I was happy to make. They usually get rid of stuff that hasn’t moved in their Tent Sale.

I “hear” that these “final sale items” are Version 1 tanks, and now they are selling V2?
Then again maybe just story.

For the price, happy so far...
F0BF3783-B760-4548-A5F9-42A368243E52.jpeg
Very nice tank and Thanks for your input. This is very helpful. Glad to hear you were able to silence the drain. Which Florida company did you use for the adaptors - Pro Clear themselves?

I’ll reach out to Big Als re pricing and version. I am nearest to the North York one, but I highly doubt I’ll be able to replicate your deal ever again at any Big Als.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back