Pro Clear ProStar 220 Build... A first on R2R I think........

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have this same tank but totally baffled why 2 overflows at exactly the same height.
So far, I have not been able to silence both, loudest overflow I have heard to date.
Have a gate on each and a DC controllable pump.
1 month in, still the loudest tank I’ve ever heard.
Perhaps 2 same height overflows is a big mistake,

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the words of Britney Spears......... "Oops I did it again"

I know I know. I need to update this thread and start another........

IMG_6694.jpg

Needed another for my quarantine office. And yes there are gaps on the aquarium bottom at the corners, I just reinstalled the IM leveling at after the picture.....

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is no longer the new and shiny tank for you, but I wanted to thank you for all the information you provided on this tank, it was very helpful to learn about it from someone with first hand experience. Pro Clear should have retained you as their ambassador :).

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is no longer the new and shiny tank for you, but I wanted to thank you for all the information you provided on this tank, it was very helpful to learn about it from someone with first hand experience. Pro Clear should have retained you as their ambassador :).
Yea, like a free tank :)

So far as I posted on a few other forums no big issues. Some rust on some hinges and an overflow with some noise (not enough to bother me) been happy so far. Got 10 months with water.

The rust happens to be the area of the sump at the end I don’t have a cover on.

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear all is well. The rust seems to be common across all brands. I have seen people post about rusted hinges and feet for Red Sea and water box as well. A shame really that they all cut corners on $5 parts. Presumable easily remedied by switching out with new hinges. If I do go with this tank - still trying to source it in Canada - or any really, I’ll be coating the hinges with silicone.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Big C had time to get cought back up on your build.
do you still feel at the new price point of 3K might as well look else where?

kinda playing around with a fish only project.
Hard question. If I where building my "dream" tank I would save up and go custom. Mine was my first "new" tank as I bought my last one used. If you are looking for budget there is nothing wrong with this tank. Biggest drawback is the overflow. Would I pay 20% more for Waterbox or Reefer, probably not. Nothing against them but for what I got for the money it was good for me.

When Jake Adams put his together he did a fish only. Looked like a decent setup for a fish only. However, the new sump I can't comment on. I have the V1 which I like all the open space to do what I want.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard question. If I where building my "dream" tank I would save up and go custom. Mine was my first "new" tank as I bought my last one used. If you are looking for budget there is nothing wrong with this tank. Biggest drawback is the overflow. Would I pay 20% more for Waterbox or Reefer, probably not. Nothing against them but for what I got for the money it was good for me.

When Jake Adams put his together he did a fish only. Looked like a decent setup for a fish only. However, the new sump I can't comment on. I have the V1 which I like all the open space to do what I want.

thanks for the replay bigC IDK I love the rimless look for leaning towards an 8 footer euro braced. to bad they dont make a rimless 96x30x24...that would be heavy expensive and risky...but a guy can dream eh.

I did like the price point on the V1. maybe if they offer a crazy sale I might pick one up. maybe santa will bring it. haha

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the ProStar has been "wet" for a year and 10 months since inhabitant (minus bacteria ;)) went in. I wanted to review how things are going with the tank (as I think it's a pretty good deal) and the setup. I'll go over the good (finally LPS, SPS are taking off) and the bad (hint, added coral WAY to early for my system).......

Currently water parameters have stabilized at (have a higher bio load):

1.025 SG
78 oF
440 Ca
1375 Mg
8.5 Alk
5 ppm nitrates
0.06 phosphates

Dosing:
Aquaforest 1,2,3 Components (mix it up myself) but replaced KH buffer with NaOH
Aquaforest -NP
Aquaforest Pro Bio S
Dr. Tim's Ecobalance every 2 weeks

AWC at 2.8 gallons/day
Every 5-6 weeks water change to clean the sand bed

I'll break down my posts into bit size sections, starting from the bottom (stand) to the top, lights.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro Clear ProStar - **THE STAND**

Really no complaints on this. After a year the stand/tank are still completely level. Doors function as normal (using the left door several times a day).

Stand.jpg

Good:
  • Like the materials of construction for the doors, white hides salt :) and they are easy to wipe down
  • Lots of space in the stand (as the tank has a metal frame allowing the stand to open up)
  • Still like the layout, left side open to run electrical and middle and right sections solid to mount piping

Bottom.jpg

Bad:
  • Leveling feet would have been nice (believe this is on the newer versions) but it remains level
  • Hinges on the sump side are rusting out (i see this on "other" manufacturers stands as well) but hasn't impacted operations YET
  • One magnet pusher broke and had to replace
  • The door frames are not magnetic so the magnetic pushers don't hold the door shut

hinge.jpg

Modifications:
  • Add a piece of plastic to prevent splashing and salt creep to the electronics which has worked well
  • Added some plastic bins to hold misc. items

Stand 2.jpg

Door.jpg

So after one year no major complaints and would buy it again.

Last edited:

Justin Aretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Just got my 150 peninsula running. This is the first tank I’ve purchased where I didn’t build the stand and plumb myself. I am finding that surface skimming is non-existent. I am not a fan of subsurface inlets into the overflow box. I also find that it is challenging to tune the return ball valves in the location they’re in. Have you experienced either of these issues?

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Just got my 150 peninsula running. This is the first tank I’ve purchased where I didn’t build the stand and plumb myself. I am finding that surface skimming is non-existent. I am not a fan of subsurface inlets into the overflow box. I also find that it is challenging to tune the return ball valves in the location they’re in. Have you experienced either of these issues?

Agree surface skimming (and the overflow box) have a bit to be desired. I mounted two gyres on each side with lots of surface agitation so I don't see a lot sitting on the top. I have them pushing to the middle and seems to be working so far (but again have lots of surface agitation). I think the overflow box is the biggest drawback (primarily overflow pipe design and noise).

This thread is pretty long, so a lot to read. I had posted when I first bought the tank I knew the ball valves were.....to say the least......garbage. I knew this going in and bought hard piping and a gate valve, I have really good control. Both water levels in the sump and display are always spot on.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted a bit on equipment but wanted to make sure folks know things are actually growing in it :)

Amazingly haven't lost a single fish and only two invertebrates (minus a few small snails) urchins (same shipment from Saltwater fish) since startup.

As I mentioned did have some mortality as I tried to add coral WAY to early. Tank was too young (after this tank believe in bio diversity) and didn't have nutrients as stabilized as I thought.

Below are some pics of some coral finally growing! Just need to remind myself to take it easy now! Before and after are a month to a few months apart. Right now I don't feed any coral.

Pre
pre mad.jpg

Pre
pre paly.jpg

Pre
pre zoa.jpg

post paly garden.jpg

Pre
pre chalice.jpg

post chalice.jpg

Don't have pre pictures but some test/starter acros that made it through my to early entry into the tank...... they are growing back over the Ulva, encrusting on the plug and coming back!

post acro 2.jpg

post acro 3.jpg

post acro.jpg

Back