Pro Clear ProStar 220 Build... A first on R2R I think........

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks absolutely beautiful! So fresh and so clean! When you add fish you might want to get a screen to prevent jumpers, but wow did you think of everything! Are you by chance an engineer?

welcome to reef to reef!

I have an open top 75 display right now with no screen, learned quickly which fish I could (and couldn't :eek:) keep. I am going screen less for now but realize it will limit my fish selection.

Yes, ChemE ;).

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are moving along. I finally have my controller board mounted. I was looking at the standard french cleat but seemed a bit expensive: Marine Depot Controller Board French Cleat. Well after walking around Menards for a bit and staring at the mounting tools found this:

IMG_5352.jpg

It's cheap, $6, aluminum (no corrosion) and worked well. Really easy to take off and service (which is key to actually doing it). Got some of the equipment on the board. Waiting to mount the cords in the back until finished. As part of this project I bought a portable generator that runs on propane (will convert to NG) that can run most the house. To protect the controllers I am running them through a small UPS (to the bottom left). UPS isn't really to power stuff, more to make sure I don't damage the sensitive stuff.

IMG_5361.jpg

Got the aquarium 2/3 full. Looks really good, glass is super clear (or maybe just doesn't have any algae yet ;) ).

I'll get some pics up tonight.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that Liveaquaria has some rock bottom prices and getting a few questions I'll try to update, if anyone has questions let me know.

Below in the red circle (hard to see I know...) you can see the metal frame that supports the aquarium (hidden by the white or black trim). Makes me sleep better at night......

IMG_5366.jpg

Tank full and still standing upright on the main floor :oops:

IMG_5365.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW cool build. I am curious to see how this holds up. I have a RS 750XXl but would like a peninsula tank to :D

how do you feel about the AL stand? think it will last the test of time?

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW cool build. I am curious to see how this holds up. I have a RS 750XXl but would like a peninsula tank to :D

how do you feel about the AL stand? think it will last the test of time?
For the stand the doors are all glass/plastic and metal. I think the hinges will be the first to go but easily replaceable. The sides and back are still MDF (I believe) and are coated with a plastic film. Depending on how clean my maintenance is will dictate the lifespan. Saltwater is pretty harsh but I do think it will/would outlast an total MDF stand and the doors will look clean for years (won't absorb water/salt from spilling).

I think this is a good large budget friendly tank but time will tell. I am just know on the initial build using a modified 3 month BRS cycling plan. I'll share more on my ideas on that in a bit. The few reviews (very few) I did find didn't signal any huge red flags.

Bubba-Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is perfect, thank you for sharing! I just purchased the exact same tank in black. Will begin set-up later this month. I have a very basic and dated 125 gallon that was screaming for an upgrade of everything, so I decided why not. I’ve been doing this for 20 years now - it’s about time. I’m glad I can follow along with your set up... giving me lots of ideas. I’ve already purchased the cabinet lights you installed :)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the stand the doors are all glass/plastic and metal. I think the hinges will be the first to go but easily replaceable. The sides and back are still MDF (I believe) and are coated with a plastic film. Depending on how clean my maintenance is will dictate the lifespan. Saltwater is pretty harsh but I do think it will/would outlast an total MDF stand and the doors will look clean for years (won't absorb water/salt from spilling).

I think this is a good large budget friendly tank but time will tell. I am just know on the initial build using a modified 3 month BRS cycling plan. I'll share more on my ideas on that in a bit. The few reviews (very few) I did find didn't signal any huge red flags.

oh the sides and back are MDF? hmm interesting I guess the aluminum frame is doing all the heavy lighting and that is there for stability and looks then.
I just browsed LA proStare line up looks pretty darn good.
fallowing for sure!

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got some equipment going.

The WaveEngine:

1. Having a sporadic time connecting to the WaveEngine App when I am on my home WiFi, works fine on wireless data. Need to look into this further.

2. Made a BIG ASSUMPTION......:rolleyes: you know what happens to assumptions...... Thought the Varios 4 was the same (or least functions the same) as the Varios 4S. I wanted to run my new Regal 200 INT skimmer of the WaveEngine to reduce one more controller and power brick. Went to run it and......

IMG_5380.PNG

Got this error. Contacted CoralVue and Carlos was super responsive. With the pinwheel on the S it will not work with the current Varios 4 setup at 100% output. I got to about 85ish% prior to cutting out. He has the engineers working on it, didn't make promises on release dates (can understand as it was my fault) but at least working on it. Thanks @Carlos@CoralVue for the quick and great response!!!

Running at 20% output:

IMG_5379.PNG

So running the skimmer on the Varios controller just to be on the safe side until then.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with the return working tried the manifold. The over sized pump as no problem, manifold worked great. Decided to run the Tunze Macro Reactor off my manifold versus the pump. Too bad I couldn't just by the reactor. Reactor has no leaks and the lid should make it easy to harvest.

IMG_5384.jpg

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Stunning job everything looks super clean!
Thank you for the link to the lights under the stand, I am looking for the same type of lights.
I really like your aquascape i think it will look great filled out with corals. Plenty of caves, hiding spots and contrast add you look at it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your early adopter experience with us @Big C . Hoping it all continues well for you!

Curious if you've given any consideration to installing a cabinet divider wall. From your pics it looks feasible.

I take a small bit of comfort from having a "dry-side" cabinet for all my controllers, power bars, etc. It isn't waterproof or anything, but does provide a little bit more protection from splash, creep, rogue skimmers, pinholed hoses, and other mistakes of my own making.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your early adopter experience with us @Big C . Hoping it all continues well for you!

Curious if you've given any consideration to installing a cabinet divider wall. From your pics it looks feasible.

I take a small bit of comfort from having a "dry-side" cabinet for all my controllers, power bars, etc. It isn't waterproof or anything, but does provide a little bit more protection from splash, creep, rogue skimmers, pinholed hoses, and other mistakes of my own making.
Thanks for the note. It should be pretty easy, mount a L bracket on the top and bottom, bolt it up. May go to Menards again and walk up/down the isles until I find it!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back