Pro Clear ProStar 220 Build... A first on R2R I think........

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doser installed! Will be running tubing to the end of the sump the next few days.
I have been able to login into the hotspot in the GHL 2.1 Doser but still can’t get the thing to connect to WiFi :rolleyes:

I have combed the internet and nothing as worked.

28A54C5E-6E6A-4D08-B263-1BF9DD3DEA94.jpeg

Looking good. I just luv a well laid out/clean sump area.

Reef Raff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there slits in the middle sides and bottom. Hard to see but you can barely make them out in the picture. You have to zoom in the side middle left.

C108B165-79D7-4F23-9FE1-8DBD0FA6C050.jpeg
Did you close them, or will you just rock with them? Maybe detritus issue?

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Gotta get friends to help bring it into the basement. :)

F8CDD2BC-6B52-4A73-B060-49E368E594FA.jpeg
I have been looking into these aquariums and it is interesting that the model/gallons on the side of the box doesn't match the specification on their webpage. 74, 100, 128 vs. 80, 110, 140

Even adding up display volume + sump volume + ATO volume I don't seem to get any of the numbers to match up.
PCPS Specs.JPG

EDIT: Never mind. It appears that the box pictured above is a "KFH-" item number and the newer ProStar Rimless have a "CD-" item number.

Last edited:

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at upgrading my tank to this monster but I have some questions about what adapters needed to go from the metric bulkheads to standard.
You said that 2 of these were needed for the drains correct?

What adapters did you get for the returns as I will be doing 3/4 on mine but need to find out what adapter I need from 3/4 standard to the metric returns?

I am so glad I found this build as I was going to buy a Red Sea xxl750 but this stand really sold me. I am calling them Monday to place the order so I want to get all the important fittings and stuff I need that are not included in the tank.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at upgrading my tank to this monster but I have some questions about what adapters needed to go from the metric bulkheads to standard.
You said that 2 of these were needed for the drains correct?

What adapters did you get for the returns as I will be doing 3/4 on mine but need to find out what adapter I need from 3/4 standard to the metric returns?

I am so glad I found this build as I was going to buy a Red Sea xxl750 but this stand really sold me. I am calling them Monday to place the order so I want to get all the important fittings and stuff I need that are not included in the tank.

The unions you have in the link WILL NOT WORK. I tried this and the threads are different. It would have been nice (perfect in fact) but I now have a $30 paper weight. So this is what I did (and will do):

See the pictures below.

Returns: My piping wasn't glued so the BRS metric adapters (yes, misspelled in the picture...) would fit directly into the unions on the returns. The 25mm to 3/4" adapter.

Drains: The drain piping was glued into the union. Since the adapters fit into a metric FITTING (such as an elbow, union, coupling, etc.) I couldn't use it. I called up Pro Clear and they were able to send me the unions without the piping glued. Now I can use the union to glue in the BRS adapter and finish my drain piping. The 32mm to 1" adapter. I haven't started this yet as I just got the unions the other day.

The adapters take up some room and i finally just did some tubing (yes I know......) but so far a month no leaks. I does make it nice when I need to remove.

Let me know if you have more questions.

I do have to give a shout out to Pro Clear! They were really quick to respond and I had no issues getting these! Thanks again Pro Clear!

I know some folks don't want to glue their piping (plug and play) but it would be nice to leave these unglued if you do want to do something like this on your aquarium piping.

IMG_5562.jpg
IMG_5563.jpg

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unions you have in the link WILL NOT WORK. I tried this and the threads are different. It would have been nice (perfect in fact) but I now have a $30 paper weight. So this is what I did (and will do):

See the pictures below.

Returns: My piping wasn't glued so the BRS metric adapters (yes, misspelled in the picture...) would fit directly into the unions on the returns. The 25mm to 3/4" adapter.

Drains: The drain piping was glued into the union. Since the adapters fit into a metric FITTING (such as an elbow, union, coupling, etc.) I couldn't use it. I called up Pro Clear and they were able to send me the unions without the piping glued. Now I can use the union to glue in the BRS adapter and finish my drain piping. The 32mm to 1" adapter. I haven't started this yet as I just got the unions the other day.

The adapters take up some room and i finally just did some tubing (yes I know......) but so far a month no leaks. I does make it nice when I need to remove.

Let me know if you have more questions.

I do have to give a shout out to Pro Clear! They were really quick to respond and I had no issues getting these! Thanks again Pro Clear!

I know some folks don't want to glue their piping (plug and play) but it would be nice to leave these unglued if you do want to do something like this on your aquarium piping.

IMG_5562.jpg
IMG_5563.jpg
Thank you so much for the reply :) I might not worry about the one inch drain as it seems like it will work for me just like it comes but I will be doing the 3/4 as I plan on doing a manifold just like yours.
I have contacted them Pro Clear and think I want to order one of their really nice looking red flex sumps to go with it.
Can the sump that comes with the tank be removed?

By the way I seen where you wanted to do a AWC on this system. I do one with my current tank with the Apex and DoS running 88 feet to my tank from under the house.
Very easy to set up with Apex and I do 1.2 gal a day(4543ml)
This is the single best thing I have ever done for my system and will be using the same AWC setup on my Pro Clear.
Let me know if you have any questions about setting up the AWC.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the reply :) I might not worry about the one inch drain as it seems like it will work for me just like it comes but I will be doing the 3/4 as I plan on doing a manifold just like yours.
I have contacted them Pro Clear and think I want to order one of their really nice looking red flex sumps to go with it.
Can the sump that comes with the tank be removed?

By the way I seen where you wanted to do a AWC on this system. I do one with my current tank with the Apex and DoS running 88 feet to my tank from under the house.
Very easy to set up with Apex and I do 1.2 gal a day(4543ml)
This is the single best thing I have ever done for my system and will be using the same AWC setup on my Pro Clear.
Let me know if you have any questions about setting up the AWC.
I was thinking about replacing the sump but for my current setup I think I will stick with it as I just need it to hold equipment. The Pro Clear sump looks nice.

I was going to use a couple of Avast diaphragm pumps and Apex optical sensors for water change but with some extra Christmas money will be buying a DOS. @Manose Where do you take out and add for the AWC?? I just don't want to take out the water I just put in :)

To remove the sump I think you might need to remove the front left white support. As you probably know would want to do this with no weight on the stand. If you take that out you should be able to slide the sump out. I only slide it from side to side to access a few items i dropped behind the sump while installing the piping. Its held in place with a bracket and two screws on the top and bottom each.

IMG_5566.jpg

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about replacing the sump but for my current setup I think I will stick with it as I just need it to hold equipment. The Pro Clear sump looks nice.

I was going to use a couple of Avast diaphragm pumps and Apex optical sensors for water change but with some extra Christmas money will be buying a DOS. @Manose Where do you take out and add for the AWC?? I just don't want to take out the water I just put in :)

To remove the sump I think you might need to remove the front left white support. As you probably know would want to do this with no weight on the stand. If you take that out you should be able to slide the sump out. I only slide it from side to side to access a few items i dropped behind the sump while installing the piping. Its held in place with a bracket and two screws on the top and bottom each.

IMG_5566.jpg
I have a very long run(88 feet) so I used different colored RO tubing so I wouldn't be confused on my lines.
I have a yellow color that draws water from the overflow as this will be the place where the water is at its dirtiest.
Then after lots of messing with different configurations I ran a red line(new water) from the DOS to the return section of my sump and that has proved so successful.
It is really good to hear about the sump being able to be removed as I am looking at doing some interesting things in that area.
How long is the sump by the way?

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very long run(88 feet) so I used different colored RO tubing so I wouldn't be confused on my lines.
I have a yellow color that draws water from the overflow as this will be the place where the water is at its dirtiest.
Then after lots of messing with different configurations I ran a red line(new water) from the DOS to the return section of my sump and that has proved so successful.
It is really good to hear about the sump being able to be removed as I am looking at doing some interesting things in that area.
How long is the sump by the way?
45.5”

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your setup. As for that GHL doser they can be a pain it the neck to setup. I know my unit was, however once it’s setup it runs great with no problems. The problem may be that your computer is not recognizing the data packet that you are sending it when you go thru the process. Ghl has a video on how to send the data packets. It works however you may have to send the data several times before it’s accepted. Ghl did a remote tie in with my computer to help me and that’s what they had to do to get my doser to work. After which things started working like it should. Please keep the pictures coming.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea adjustable feet and 26in wide with all 1inch and 3/4 plumbing included. Seems like the stand is taller at 36in.
2” of depth will be nice. Same pricing? When I got mine back in late October I almost waited for those features but just didn’t want to wait another 4 months....:rolleyes: and got a decent price at Reefapalooza.

jmcdona6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2” of depth will be nice. Same pricing? When I got mine back in late October I almost waited for those features but just didn’t want to wait another 4 months....:rolleyes: and got a decent price at Reefapalooza.

New here, but I thought I would take this opportunity to both join and contribute at the same time. I have been following this tank and thread and finally pulled the trigger today and placed an order.

Before I ordered I called ProStar/ProClear and talked to one of their reps. They confirmed that the new models would (A) have adjustable feet (B) change the overflow bottom drain to be 6 inches above the floor to fix the debris issue, (C) include a 3/4 plumbing kit and (D) have some vaguely described improvements in the sump.

Pricing will not be exactly the same. The new tanks are different dimensions and volumes, overflows will be different to suit plus the piping will be better quality. The best I could ascertain from my conversation and the new models listed on preorder there will be a step above and step below the 220 in general size...you will likely end up paying the same for a slightly smaller but better designed system, or a good bit more (but still cheaper per gallon than the RS/WB) for the same upgrades but larger tank. Oh and its going to be 2 inches taller (stand not tank) to match the height of the RS and WB overall.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New here, but I thought I would take this opportunity to both join and contribute at the same time. I have been following this tank and thread and finally pulled the trigger today and placed an order.

Before I ordered I called ProStar/ProClear and talked to one of their reps. They confirmed that the new models would (A) have adjustable feet (B) change the overflow bottom drain to be 6 inches above the floor to fix the debris issue, (C) include a 3/4 plumbing kit and (D) have some vaguely described improvements in the sump.

Pricing will not be exactly the same. The new tanks are different dimensions and volumes, overflows will be different to suit plus the piping will be better quality. The best I could ascertain from my conversation and the new models listed on preorder there will be a step above and step below the 220 in general size...you will likely end up paying the same for a slightly smaller but better designed system, or a good bit more (but still cheaper per gallon than the RS/WB) for the same upgrades but larger tank. Oh and its going to be 2 inches taller (stand not tank) to match the height of the RS and WB overall.
Thanks for the information. Luckily my floor was pretty level but its a nice feature. What are they changing on the overflow? Interested to know what I need to look out for. The plumbing wasn't the best but I mentioned I wanted to do my own regardless of what system I purchased. The sump isn't bad but would like an adjustable weir at the end and I had to modify to fit 4" standard socks.

Did you end up ordering?

Thanks again.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back