Pro Clear ProStar 220 Build... A first on R2R I think........

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings :) R2R I have been silently looking around R2R for a year gathering information and learning the hobby (learned a ton of good stuff), thought I better make my first contribution!

Talked the family into upgrading from my existing 75 gallon reef (luckily it didn’t take much talking) which I bought a few years ago in average but somewhat neglected condition. Spent a few years and some $$$$ to see if I would like the hobby and found out I do. Below you’ll see some before and after. The aquarium even survived 1.5 years with me living in China, family (and LFS) did a good job keeping it alive! Now that I am back (for good I hope) time to up size!

Before (shots at the old owner’s location):

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG

Current Tank:

IMG_5047 (1).JPG

IMG_5073.JPG

IMG_5071.JPG

Decided to start my own tank from scratch and jumped up to a 160 gallon build (the biggest that would fit on my main floor ). Wanted to pick out more of my own corals and aquascaping. I thought this would also be a good build thread as I decided to go with a Pro Clear ProStar Rimless after reading some of the Reefer 750 stories and the sump was just too small on the Aquabox. I haven’t found many reviews on this unit. It was a bit of a last minute decision as I first saw them at Chicago Reefapolooza and bought it on the spot (discount of course). There are some modifications I plan on making and will detail those out in the thread.

First of all the new build (so far):

Pro Clear ProStar 220 Rimless White

Radion XR30 G4 Pro (x3) – Move two from the old tank
Maxspect Gyre XF250 (x2) – Move both pumps from old tank w/battery backup
Neptune Wav (x2)
Skimz Leopard Return Pump (got it on the cheap during BRS discount)
Neptune Controller
Temperature​
Salinity​
pH​
WXM module (Radions)​
Par Module​
FMM Module (ATK)​
Neptune EB832​
Reef Octopus Regal 200INT 8” Varios
BRS titanium heaters and controller (600 and 300 watt)
BRS dual reactor (carbon and GFO) – Move from old tank (only use GFO if necessary)
Skimz Macro Algae Reactor
GHL 2.1 Doser 3 head doser (Aquaforest 3 part dosing)
200 lbs Caribbean special grade sand
160 lbs Reef Saver rock both including some shelf pieces
Tropic Marine Pro Salt (decided to switch from AF after BRS review)

I am thinking about auto water changes using the Apex programming and 4 level switches from a post I saw on here earlier.

**Question** What % auto water change removal do folks replace on a daily basis, 1.5-2% total system volume?

Misc. items where a backup generator, small UPS (for clean power to controllers and dosing pumps) and a whole house dehumidifier. Also had a structural engineer come out and evaluate to make sure my main level could support the weight.

First had to move an annoying TV out of the way, who watches that anyway (you can see the blue outline for the new tank :))……..

IMG_4550.JPG

IMG_5152.JPG

Added some outlets on different breakers and additional openings for piping for mix station and top off water that is located directly behind the wall. (Goodies in the corner).

Also did a test with fresh air on my skimmer on the existing aquarium, holy cow what a difference. Wanted to make sure it proved out before drilling a hole through my house.

Prior to test (with CO2 absorbent):

IMG_5255.PNG

After test (more stable and increase in pH by several tenths without absorbent) on October 1st you see the rise in pH:
IMG_5254.PNG

My house is so sealed up my pH really dips when there are a lot of people in the house. To stabilize the system and reduce my CO2 absorbent spend I piped fresh outside air. Small pipe on the right.

IMG_5155.JPG

After that was completed time to receive the goods!!!!! The tank arrived within a week of ordering, no issues with shipping timeline. Unloading when very smoothly as well. One guy with a lift and pallet jack got it into the garage.

NOW THE GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_5159.JPG

IMG_5160.JPG

(You can see the new paint colors the wife wants before we move this to its final resting place ).

IMG_5167.JPG

Came on one pallet, two boxes with stand fully assembled. That was one item that I really liked was the aluminum stand that 1) won’t rust 2) kept the entire bottom open for a larger sump and control equipment 3) glass panels look sharp and easy to clean. However, not entirely happy with the sump but at that price could put in one I wanted…….more on that later.

Currently in China for work but will post more during the next few weeks as I hope to get the aquarium in place and water tested prior to Thanksgiving.
I hope this build helps folks consider (or not) a ProStar Aquarium. Right now, so far so good, just one issues with the cabinets doors not leveled but will address that when the aquarium is in its final spot. So far Aquatic Sea Life has been very responsive!

I'll hold off on the sump and aquarium pics till next post.... Hopefully keep some folks watching the thread.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, thanks for joining.

You’ve got a really great build going there. I saw you had the same wet dry I have. I still have mine and plan on using it again one day for something.

We have another member in Hong Kong now, you near there? Also stop by the meet and greet section to formally introduce yourself of you like.

And #WelcometoR2R

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got back home to the USA, I don't get over to Hong Kong, work up in Northeast China.

How does the wet/dry work for you? I took it out when I took over the 75g from the previous owner and for now won't put it in the new build.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to pull the trigger on the WaveEngine. Hope to keep the electrical clean and this should help with the Gyres and Skimmer and power blocks. Also really lazy and Marine Depot had their controller board on sale so picked that up as well. Have a ton of room on the side of the cabinet and is well vented.

Some picks of the sump. First three are mine and the others where the display at Reefapolooza Chicago.

B341926D-FE8D-43C0-B1C1-E5BD4831E46E.jpeg
AEE7E56C-5176-4BA3-ACD5-A18C4047C62A.jpeg
70ECDE5C-F358-4EA8-86F4-6398EF3615BE.jpeg

From the display at Reefapolooza:

31FD180F-5DD9-4030-99BB-0EE7A3A1B167.jpeg
B07E8F69-4018-45A9-91BA-726F9DE1E54E.jpeg
A5B79143-3DBA-447E-A89E-3DFC5037B06E.jpeg

You will noticed I circled the sick filter. It’s a metic sized sock special for the sump. I already cut out the top and will replace with a glass one that fits standard (BRS) socks and silicon back in. I’ll post once it’s done.

Time to start on plumbing. Plan on 1.25 inch (it’s going to be tight) with a manifold with two valves, then a gate valve to adjust flow and a check valve. The piping is metric and bought the conversion prices from BRS and the fit perfect in the return bulkheads.

Did run into an issue where the stand was missing a leg. Got the living room painted but was kind of bummed as I was planning on setting up the stand and aquarium today so I could adjust doors. Contacted customer service they are getting one out ASAP.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting for a few parts from Pro Clear Aquatics, they are quick to get back to me but parts sent my snail mail :).....

In the meantime working on the "underneath". You can see the plumbing I'm putting together. The standard plumbing is metric (DN) and comes with a valve but is pretty cheap. I knew this and understand at this price point and have no issues with it. I didn't mind as I wanted to do my own plumbing anyway. After reading on R2R it looks like most folks re-plumb the others ones such as RS and WB.

In the lower right is the existing valve that came with the aquarium, the new plumbing (BRS) takes up the rest of the photo (still cutting and dry fitting).

IMG_5285.jpg

Also bought some under cabinet lighting. I really like it, comes with mounting tape (or clips and screws), tip tie holders and mounting tap for cord management on/off and dimming switch (I'll plug directing into APEX). Its pretty bright and low profile. Setup was perfect for a 6' cabinet.

IMG_5291.jpg

IMG_5292.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great.

I know your in building phase so you may have on the to do list. The wires hanging from the lights I would tack up to the bottom of the stand. It will avoid you getting tied up in them during maintenance underneath. Those 3m command clips are great. Stick em, clip the wire in, can be removed with no marks.

Keep pics coming

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great.

I know your in building phase so you may have on the to do list. The wires hanging from the lights I would tack up to the bottom of the stand. It will avoid you getting tied up in them during maintenance underneath. Those 3m command clips are great. Stick em, clip the wire in, can be removed with no marks.

Keep pics coming

Thanks for the note. Keep the suggestions coming!

The light kit actually comes with them. Just waiting to run the wires for the rest of the system before I start mounting.

Again like them so far:
Litever Kitchen Under Cabinet LED Lighting Kits,3 PCS 1 Feet Super Bright LED Light Bars per Set, Daylight White 20W 1200 Lumen Dimmable Plug in for Kichen Cabinets Counters Cases 5000K (3 Bars Kit)

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new toy today, seemed smaller in the picture....

IMG_5300.jpg

My sump runs around 9" which is about 0.5" higher than recommended. Looked around for a stand and found a bunch of expensive options. Then I found this NSF/FDA approved cutting board I decided to modify and color happened to match :)

IMG_5302.jpg

IMG_5303.jpg

It's 1/2 in thickness and had some extra board left so I decided to use the trimmings as feet and got 1" of extra height for $11 and little effort. I'll silicone them on and should work well.

dgarrets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good so far, best of luck on the new build! I am looking at getting a Pro Clear as well - probably the 102 gallon peninsula - going to follow along to see how yours goes.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below are some pictures of my display tank I hope to get on the stand and water test in the next few days;

Overflow box (the silencers not installed on the drain pipes):

4CC903E1-E54F-4B3B-B890-AA159D2C9FF2.jpeg

Tried to get a picture of the connections at the bottom of the overflow box:

615D4551-6312-4E7F-9A63-C2D5B4165E9E.jpeg

Overflow box close up:

3125BF11-43AA-437C-877E-FE3B640A3713.jpeg

Pictures of the glass:

4610670F-9595-4A45-BAA4-3FAED371B1D5.jpeg

ED6C64E8-D94F-453F-A5C3-F15457C3D74E.jpeg

D940A655-A1AC-41BB-B5D1-218C02977E91.jpeg

C6F121E7-5F8B-4866-9459-4ECF1EF21962.jpeg

If anyone wants pictures of anything particular let me know and I'll try to grab them.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piping is coming along. A bit tighter than first laid out and had to make some adjustments. I'll end up with some tubing for the two returns. It's over the sump in the event of a small leak and allows for a point to remove if needed.

Also decided to go with the BRS pipe supports. They are a bit expensive but they are nice and make for an easy install (or removal) and look clean. I had to make up some brackets to offset them for two reasons: 1) the metal stand supports are wider than the offset of the support 2) I wanted two screws for each support versus the one on the BRS support since this is screwed into MDF board. I could have bolted and drilled a hole through with a large washer on the backside of the stand but want to keep the back of the stand clean.

IMG_5314.jpg

IMG_5315 - Copy.jpg

Maybe went a bit overboard but wanted to make sure none of the supports pulled out.

IMG_5325.jpg

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to get ready for the rock..... family wants it off the living room floor ;)

Any suggestion or feedback would be great. Left room around the entire edge for a magnetic scrapper (and hand in the back if needed). Also tried to leave some open space for future addition/modification. SPS would be up high for flow and light and LPS down low protected a bit from high flow. Have two 250 on the top sides and two Wavs, one on the bottom right side wall low and the other back wall left side low. Going in a 6' (160 display).

I have two levels, not sure if I should add some additional height on the shelf on the left.

Also posted in the Aquascaping forum.

D06767ED-AB89-4EE4-B852-B5D90E105CFB.jpeg

E0455DE0-B7B1-44D5-ABD3-914046E9AFFC.jpeg

2AA93DB7-2DAF-4C76-B6C4-25B0FB3544C0.jpeg

814647B0-24BA-4865-A3E9-5A5BD106120D.jpeg

9A942A12-5A56-47EB-8D58-8511D14C71C6.jpeg

Thanks!

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINALLY it got set and WET!!!!!!!

4 guys and these suctions cups from Amazon worked great! However, the suction cups were at there maximum and wouldn't recommend them on anything bigger (mine was about 430 lbs). Bought two two packs so each guy had a handle. Moved it about 20' and up onto the stand.

Amazon Glass Suction Cups

IMG_5336.jpg

Middle legs took some shimming but afterwards pretty level and doors lined out.

IMG_5341.jpg

What I found out about this tank is beneath the white trim is a metal frame (I believe). Not only do I like the trim makes me feel a lot better about the integrity. I can try to grab some pictures if folks wish.

Finally the test, so far no leaks.................................

IMG_5343.jpg

Now trying to finish the piping. The return was a bear at 1.25" and had to give up on the check valve and as much as I hate it had some tubing on the return. Once I get some time I'll swap out the drains. Bought some unions adapters that go from metric to inch.

Adapters for the drain here Drain metric to standard
Adapters for the return were the ones off BRS

IMG_5345.jpg

Time to get back to the controller board. Did fire up the WaveEngine and got it to connect!!!!

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks absolutely beautiful! So fresh and so clean! When you add fish you might want to get a screen to prevent jumpers, but wow did you think of everything! Are you by chance an engineer?

welcome to reef to reef!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back