Pro Clear ProStar 220 Build... A first on R2R I think........

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And its off to the race. Finally started cycling.

Using Instant Ocean to cycle (cheaper salt) and then will transition over to Tropic Marine as I do the water changes.

IMG_5364.jpg

Apex probes connected and calibrated.

Salinity 34
pH 7.95
Temperature 78.5

Water cleared up quickly.

IMG_5477.jpg

As I mentioned early I added 3 different bacterial start up solutions. Added those and then added the ammonium chloride. As you can see I started with 0 and after about 15 mL ended up at the recommended 2.0 ppm.

IMG_5481.jpg

Did have one issue come up. My brand new Wav pump crapped out before I added the salt. One Wav pump and the return pump was enough movement to dissolve the salt. Now I have to wait around for a call from Neptune on Monday to troubleshoot. I don't understand why they just can't send it. (Yes, I updated the firmware, yes I tried different ports, yes I did the IT typical reboot....).:rolleyes:

IMG_5475.PNG

redtigrinus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big C Amazing build! Forgive me if you already addressed this, but how quiet is the overflow? I've been seriously considering one of these tanks for the last month. How many people did you need to get it in the house?

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big C Amazing build! Forgive me if you already addressed this, but how quiet is the overflow? I've been seriously considering one of these tanks for the last month. How many people did you need to get it in the house?
The sound so far is the only issue (small one). It took a bit to get it to quiet down. Not dead silent but not a bunch of gurgling sounds either. I plan on repiping the overflows to 45s. I will try to take a video later. Right now I just stared cycling and took the socks out which made it a bit noisy.

Took 4 guys to get in. However I had only 1 step and then set it on two flat rollers and rolled it 20’. So we didn’t have to do much work.

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sound so far is the only issue (small one). It took a bit to get it to quiet down. Not dead silent but not a bunch of gurgling sounds either. I plan on repiping the overflows to 45s. I will try to take a video later. Right now I just stared cycling and took the socks out which made it a bit noisy.

Took 4 guys to get in. However I had only 1 step and then set it on two flat rollers and rolled it 20’. So we didn’t have to do much work.

If you had to go downstairs with it about 12 steps into a basement would 4 guys be easy enough Or is going to be a back breaker? I'm thinking about making a sled crate like tidal garden did with that 500g onYouTube
video.https://youtu.be/shG1ulvbuUg

Great idea on cycle salt by the way.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had to go downstairs with it about 12 steps into a basement would 4 guys be easy enough Or is going to be a back breaker? I'm thinking about making a sled crate like tidal garden did with that 500g onYouTube
video.https://youtu.be/shG1ulvbuUg

Great idea on cycle salt by the way.
Sled idea is great. I also saw something on the forum that included some 2x4 rails.

I just don't think 4 guys could get it down the stair case as you can only fit one person on the side of the tank and it would be difficult to get two guys with a good grip on the end. I would hate to be on the downhill side ;). Whoever is on the downhill side would pretty much have the 450 lbs of weight to carry.

I used one guy on each end with suction cups and then staggered two more on each side using those furniture lifting straps.

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sled idea is great. I also saw something on the forum that included some 2x4 rails.

I just don't think 4 guys could get it down the stair case as you can only fit one person on the side of the tank and it would be difficult to get two guys with a good grip on the end. I would hate to be on the downhill side ;). Whoever is on the downhill side would pretty much have the 450 lbs of weight to carry.

I used one guy on each end with suction cups and then staggered two more on each side using those furniture lifting straps.

Sled it is! Tank strapped down. Im going to see if I can locate a long enough chain fall pully and use a 4x4 across my door frame/brick area and lower it slowly down the stairs. I have a good idea how to set this part up. The one hang up I have is to go up 4 stairs into a back porch area turn the tank then place it on the sled it's a straight shot down from there. This is going to suck. LOL.

You are right about the guys being on the bottom end of that tank. That thought alone made me research ideas on how to bring a big tank down stairs.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sled it is! Tank strapped down. Im going to see if I can locate a long enough chain fall pully and use a 4x4 across my door frame/brick area and lower it slowly down the stairs. I have a good idea how to set this part up. The one hang up I have is to go up 4 stairs into a back porch area turn the tank then place it on the sled it's a straight shot down from there. This is going to suck. LOL.

You are right about the guys being on the bottom end of that tank. That thought alone made me research ideas on how to bring a big tank down stairs.
I think the sled is the best/safest way to go. Don’t forget about the stand. That comes fully assembled and is still a few hundred pounds with all the glass.

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the sled is the best/safest way to go. Don’t forget about the stand. That comes fully assembled and is still a few hundred pounds with all the glass.
Right! I didn't forget I'm just so focused on the tank since it weighs the most.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank hasn't been running long but was interested in what type of evaporation I'll see versus my 75 gallon display. Surprisingly the first few days were lower than I thought you'll see below water level dropped only 1.5 gallons. The water makeup (siphon from my RODI bucket) seems to be working well so far (surprised). This will get replaced with my Apex ATK. I think the sump cover that comes with the sump does a decent job of keeping some evaporation down. I'll buy a new piece to cut to fit the new equipment.

Level in the RODI day 1:
IMG_5484.jpg

RODI Level Day 2:
IMG_5494.jpg

Need to cut a new piece (found one on Amazon for $15) but like I said I think it's helping keep the water in :)

IMG_5495.jpg

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went looking around Reefapalooza Chicago I came across this torch. Absolutely loved the coloring, the bright neon green body so I picked up an put it in the frag tank for the new build even though I'm months out for corals. First frag or any kind of reefing show I had been to so I had to come away some coral :)

IMG_5131.JPG

IMG_5487.jpg

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the tank cycles had some time to start that not so fun stuff.... cord management. There is a ton of information out there and ways to do it. For me it as to be easily maintainable. This means easy to access, remove cords (replace pumps, clean equipment, pull and calibrate probes...). I went with something pretty simple. I ran my probe wires separate from the power to help eliminate any interference. I also left a about a 1.5' loop in the wire so I can pull and calibrate without taking out all the zip ties and have enough cords. Went with zip ties as they are easy and cheap. The red ones look nice against the black :) I'll clean up the control board once everything is in.

Here is what I used:

4" Red Zip Ties

Zip Tie Holder

IMG_5502.jpg

IMG_5503.jpg

IMG_5504.jpg

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doser installed! Will be running tubing to the end of the sump the next few days.
I have been able to login into the hotspot in the GHL 2.1 Doser but still can’t get the thing to connect to WiFi :rolleyes:

I have combed the internet and nothing as worked.

28A54C5E-6E6A-4D08-B263-1BF9DD3DEA94.jpeg

Reef Raff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool build, I was wondering if the overflow had slits/openings in the lower/middle portion of the overflow or just the top?

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool build, I was wondering if the overflow had slits/openings in the lower/middle portion of the overflow or just the top?
Yes, there slits in the middle sides and bottom. Hard to see but you can barely make them out in the picture. You have to zoom in the side middle left.

C108B165-79D7-4F23-9FE1-8DBD0FA6C050.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%

Back