Pro Clear ProStar 220 Build... A first on R2R I think........

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I don’t think I’ll need much power from my Radions. For now these are APPROXIMATE values and distances. Once I get the other two Radions I’ll get more detail. Some par numbers just from the Hybrid 61” X18:

Light off the water level - 11”
Sand bed from water level - 20.25”
Apex Par Sensor

Bottom Middle
160 Par (makes sense as no bulbs in middle and Radion was off)
A64EBE09-290D-4265-B396-3DC130F4FDA7.jpeg

Bottom Front
210 Par
3E8EAA4C-C329-4A5F-A852-B1DDABF006B3.jpeg

Approximate Middle
220 Par
205C2399-2F39-4088-B0E9-278A0262E0C5.jpeg

Approximate Middle Front
260 Par
EEBBF55D-4D08-4216-8D6C-412D4610F1C5.jpeg

jgalvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick question as might order an existing model. the plumbing and bulkheads were in metric, correct? you replaced everything with standard?

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick question as might order an existing model. the plumbing and bulkheads were in metric, correct? you replaced everything with standard?

I used metric to standard adaptors from the unions that are located on the bulkheads.

I tried to order metric to standard unions but the threads were different.

jgalvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used metric to standard adaptors from the unions that are located on the bulkheads.

I tried to order metric to standard unions but the threads were different.
Thanks for the reply, sorry for dumb question, but why not just replace it all (use standard bulkheads from BRS)? I have a SCA tank (came with metric) and just swapped everything vs conversions. Also how bad is what comes with the tank? Usable? I don't have any reactors, etc. Thanks much, really appreciate it.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, sorry for dumb question, but why not just replace it all (use standard bulkheads from BRS)? I have a SCA tank (came with metric) and just swapped everything vs conversions. Also how bad is what comes with the tank? Usable? I don't have any reactors, etc. Thanks much, really appreciate it.

See my post #157. Really didn’t want to mess it up and it really didn’t bother me.

jgalvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #12 has a picture. Two overflows are the same height. What is not pictured are the two silencers. They kind of work but will look for mods in the future. Not super load but you can hear them.
Thanks saw that pic, but hard to tell from top town, a herbie would be great as dead silent.

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow and maintenance looks like it will be no problem on your aquascape. Lots of room for corals :)

That's one item I made sure was the fact I can reach around all the aquascape and my scrapper fit all around the glass.

I do have a lot of rock but the fish (especially the tangs) like zipping in and out and everyone seems to have their own hiding spot .

I did have to add the two extra Wav pumps (on top of my 2 Gyre 250) to ensure I had movement to keep detritus building up at bay.

Thanks! Yeah flow is crazy right now I have the Gyre 350’s running only 30% max otherwise the sand starts to lift. I might have go extra course sand in some spots. Im Hoping with coral growth it will disperse the flow before hitting the sand once the Acros grow in. So far that’s one down fall I see with minimal rock.

Definitely need to reach back behind the rock and walls for me that's a must. Learned that one the hard way.

I thought about the fish too with minimal rock. I know there will be a battle ground in my tank.
In my pics it's hard to see but I do have most of it lifted off the sand. You will have no problem keeping the piece with all those caves and over hangs. Your aquascape looks great for hiding spots.

Yep more rock more flow for sure. My 35 was a struggle for flow. I'm hoping the opposite on this new tank so when the tank starts to fill in I can ramp up the pumps with the growth. Time will tell if I'm on the right path. Worse case bare bottom or something heavy. Not really bad at all going either route I just like the asthestic of the smaller sand grains mixed with heavier crushed coral.

Gotta get my tank thread started to share the Journey with everybody.

Did you keep the black sleeve tubes in on the overflow?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful tank! Your scape and plumbing look fantastic.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah flow is crazy right now I have the Gyre 350’s running only 30% max otherwise the sand starts to lift. I might have go extra course sand in some spots. Im Hoping with coral growth it will disperse the flow before hitting the sand once the Acros grow in. So far that’s one down fall I see with minimal rock.

Definitely need to reach back behind the rock and walls for me that's a must. Learned that one the hard way.

I thought about the fish too with minimal rock. I know there will be a battle ground in my tank.
In my pics it's hard to see but I do have most of it lifted off the sand. You will have no problem keeping the piece with all those caves and over hangs. Your aquascape looks great for hiding spots.

Yep more rock more flow for sure. My 35 was a struggle for flow. I'm hoping the opposite on this new tank so when the tank starts to fill in I can ramp up the pumps with the growth. Time will tell if I'm on the right path. Worse case bare bottom or something heavy. Not really bad at all going either route I just like the asthestic of the smaller sand grains mixed with heavier crushed coral.

Gotta get my tank thread started to share the Journey with everybody.

Did you keep the black sleeve tubes in on the overflow?
Yea, not sure if I needed them or not so I just left them on. What about you?

jmcdona6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s crazy $1000 price increase for 2“ increase in depth

I agree, I posted earlier about being fortunate enough to get one of the last of the older models in stock...well a week later I got a call from Live Aquaria that their stock count was wrong and would not be able to ship the order. Live Aquaria was really cool about it, called me to explain and gave some in-store credit to soften the mistake. Top notch customer service at least.

I talked to Pro Star about the new features afterward and I just don't see the value in their new pricing model. At $3K you might as well go all-in on a Waterbox or RedSea. Not to mention all the problems with the rimless tanks lately, how good will the warranty support from Prostar be? At $2K it was a great deal and worth accepting a little more risk, at least for me. At $3K...I ended up going the SCA150 and custom stand route.

Your tank is coming along great btw!

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, not sure if I needed them or not so I just left them on. What about you?
I ran them for a bit then I pulled them once the sand went in. The tank almost overflowed on me. I caught it just in time. The water was even with the top the glass. The ports started to clog from the sand sediment settling out. I kept looking at the tiny ports thinking it was going to be a issue later on with algae and other marine critters clogging it. I didn't like how high my water line was too when I first set them up. Removing them dropped my water line a 1/2" more. I can sleep better now if my pumps kick on full blast on accident.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran them for a bit then I pulled them once the sand went in. The tank almost overflowed on me. I caught it just in time. The water was even with the top the glass. The ports started to clog from the sand sediment settling out. I kept looking at the tiny ports thinking it was going to be a issue later on with algae and other marine critters clogging it. I didn't like how high my water line was too when I first set them up. Removing them dropped my water line a 1/2" more. I can sleep better now if my pumps kick on full blast on accident.

image.jpg

Agree they really reduce the flow you can get through the overflow with them. I had to back off on my return pump. How is the noise compared to them on?

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree they really reduce the flow you can get through the overflow with them. I had to back off on my return pump. How is the noise compared to them on?
It sounds the same to me once the tank flow levels out.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back