Pro Clear ProStar 220 Build... A first on R2R I think........

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some turf algae outbreak, was slow getting the CUC as I didn’t want them to die off. Well..... it’s still undersized and they got plenty to eat.

It was getting bad and stated to ponder a quick solution, Vibrant or the such. It’s a young tank so decided to wait it out. Turned up the light duration on the cheato RX and with the CUC finally getting it they are starting to make a dent...

Found some sea lettuce that no one is touching so I’ll manually remove while its minimal.

Top rock was covered a few days ago.
B412F13B-E7E7-48E1-89C5-3E70E05B2B90.jpeg
338BF187-8450-4B82-9E70-26F5356984C5.jpeg

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking your ProStar and gear so far? I just picked up the 200g V2 and I'm starting to select gear to fit into it. Anything you'd change or wish you did different on your setup?

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking your ProStar and gear so far? I just picked up the 200g V2 and I'm starting to select gear to fit into it. Anything you'd change or wish you did different on your setup?

Love the stand, sump is huge on V1, heard they added more compartments on V2 and kept the same total volume. I run a cheato RX and BRS reactors so have no need for compartments. Glass is clear and silicon job is nice. Like the look of the tank and stand combo. Cabinet outside easy to clean.

I knew the dimensions but next tank will be 4-5 wider.

1. Overflow a bit noisy, not bad but not totally silent. So far none of us has figured a good way to silence. There is a thread were someone added a valve on the two drains. I haven’t done that yet.

2. Skimmer and pump are oversized.

3. A lot of light. With my Hybrid fixture 12” off the surface still getting +200 par on the floor.

4. Really like all the equipment. Really like the AWC, cheato reactor, hybrid fixture.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a note, the skimmer is a little big. Luckily worth the Varios and controller I turned the pump down and is working ok. Thicker skim and only need to empty the cup one a week.

Radions were at a 50% intensity with diffusers. Used the Apex Par modules for readings.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I thought the tank was older than what it was, right a round the 4 month point. No fish loss, a few snails dropped the bucket but nothing major.

Constant AWC seems to be going well, no salinity swings. Only performed 1 water change (15%) since startup to clean the sand bed.

For corals all the LPS are doing fine and growing. A few tested acros are doing OK, growing slow but then again it’s a new tank and just testing the waters. Two corals out of 25ish had some issues. A free chalice bleached out and after three weeks of solid growth 1/2 my bubblegum digi died overnight. It’s still hanging on so I’ll see if I can nurse it back.

Parameters are stable. Nitrate 5-12 (Nyos) and phosphate 0.03-0.06. All solid at 8.2 and calcium solid at 420.

Turf algae still around but the CUC is finally getting ahead. Found some sea lettuce so manually removing before it takes hold.

524C5558-4F68-475D-9E25-D0BA1E61364C.jpeg
80C57027-1B02-427E-8622-88837FCF83F7.jpeg

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What depth is the sump on this sucker? Trying to pick up my skimmer and i'm excited about Bubble Magus but noticed you said you're running your sump at 9".

Can I do a 10" depth?

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started getting an alk and Ca decrease the last month. Noticed coralline algae start to take off and corals are getting g some growth. Not a whole lot but some. Dosing AquaForest components that I mix up myself. Forgot that I never posted my final dosing setup:

684404C4-7E8A-4AB7-9991-E5A47959E2FE.jpeg

gammarho55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started getting an alk and Ca decrease the last month. Noticed coralline algae start to take off and corals are getting g some growth. Not a whole lot but some. Dosing AquaForest components that I mix up myself. Forgot that I never posted my final dosing setup:

684404C4-7E8A-4AB7-9991-E5A47959E2FE.jpeg
What are you using for the doser brackets? Been using the cheapy ATO container the tank came with to set mine on lol.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AB Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this tank at my LFS... very nice tank for the price! I think like roughly around $2200? But for that big of a tank compared to the red sea reefers they have a really nice price on them! And they look awesome in person! Love the glass like doors on them because they would be so easy to clean. Also very sharp looking in person!

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ProStar 200 v2 came on Thursday. Will get a build thread spun up as my wife and I get this thing setup.

Love the tank so far. Glass is super clear and cabinet is slick. The whole thing was a 4-guy move job (we safely used masks and gloves to prevent any socializing). Would not have survived if we didn't have a furniture dolly - they claim the tank only weighed 280 but it was significantly more.

Will probably have a bunch of weird gripes as I get this setup. First one that already jumps out to me is the sump. The thing doesn't make any sense. The refugium chamber is super small and in the back where you can't effectively position a light, the skimmer chamber is the size of texas, the return section is too large, the filter sock section doesn't fit a filter roller.. the ATO container is tiny as heck and blocks access to the fuge and return section.. my list goes on.

I am either going to have to cut the silicon and redo the sump or I may just pull the whole thing out and replace it.

Had some feet get damaged in transit as well and the glass doors didn't arrive leveled (crossing my fingers this is fixed once water is in the tank and I level the whole thing out).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ProStar 200 v2 came on Thursday. Will get a build thread spun up as my wife and I get this thing setup.

Love the tank so far. Glass is super clear and cabinet is slick. The whole thing was a 4-guy move job (we safely used masks and gloves to prevent any socializing). Would not have survived if we didn't have a furniture dolly - they claim the tank only weighed 280 but it was significantly more.

Will probably have a bunch of weird gripes as I get this setup. First one that already jumps out to me is the sump. The thing doesn't make any sense. The refugium chamber is super small and in the back where you can't effectively position a light, the skimmer chamber is the size of texas, the return section is too large, the filter sock section doesn't fit a filter roller.. the ATO container is tiny as heck and blocks access to the fuge and return section.. my list goes on.

I am either going to have to cut the silicon and redo the sump or I may just pull the whole thing out and replace it.

Had some feet get damaged in transit as well and the glass doors didn't arrive leveled (crossing my fingers this is fixed once water is in the tank and I level the whole thing out).

I would agree it’s not designed for a refugium but I was always planning on a macro reactor. I actually like the big skimmer compartment. Setup allows my to keep all my equipment in the sump. The larger return section allows me to take out more water for my AWC without worrying too much about getting a low level for my return pump. The sump is pretty basic but knew that from seeing in person and pictures. Yea, ATO sucks for volume. I just connect the existing float to my RODI barrel and gravity drain.

Their website stated about 440 lbs for the tank for V1. Assuming this is on par with others this size.

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree it’s not designed for a refugium but I was always planning on a macro reactor. I actually like the big skimmer compartment. Setup allows my to keep all my equipment in the sump. The larger return section allows me to take out more water for my AWC without worrying too much about getting a low level for my return pump. The sump is pretty basic but knew that from seeing in person and pictures. Yea, ATO sucks for volume. I just connect the existing float to my RODI barrel and gravity drain.

Their website stated about 440 lbs for the tank for V1. Assuming this is on par with others this size.

I think I might follow your lead and just go with a Macro reactor and not try to futz with cutting the fuge chamber out. I just dry fit my RO 200INT SSS skimmer in and had plenty of room so that gives me confidence to mod the sock compartment and move that a few inches over to accommodate the Clarisea 5000.

Did you like the brand of Macro Reactor you went with?

Back