Pro Clear ProStar 220 Build... A first on R2R I think........

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might follow your lead and just go with a Macro reactor and not try to futz with cutting the fuge chamber out. I just dry fit my RO 200INT SSS skimmer in and had plenty of room so that gives me confidence to mod the sock compartment and move that a few inches over to accommodate the Clarisea 5000.

Did you like the brand of Macro Reactor you went with?

So far but have a few reservations if it’s big enough. It’s growing but my phos and nitrates are gradually going up. It’s a new tank so we’ll see where it pans out. To bad you can’t just buy the reactor and save some money. I have it running off my return pump header. I wonder if a algae scrubber might be a better option. I am using an AWC for the first time and need to dail that in as well. Only one larger water change since Dec to stir/clean the sand bed.

Don’t forget pics and descriptions of your mods :)

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far but have a few reservations if it’s big enough. It’s growing but my phos and nitrates are gradually going up. It’s a new tank so we’ll see where it pans out. To bad you can’t just buy the reactor and save some money. I have it running off my return pump header. I wonder if a algae scrubber might be a better option. I am using an AWC for the first time and need to dail that in as well. Only one larger water change since Dec to stir/clean the sand bed.

Don’t forget pics and descriptions of your mods :)

Yea, biggest concern I have with a Macro Reactor in there is harvesting, if I get one big enough for the 200 I have no idea how I would get the core out, hahaha.

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got wife approval and we are going for the Reef Octopus LR-200; she likes the idea of an algae-less sump.

Waiting until the Clarisea and the macro reactor arrive before I make cuts to the inside of the sump but I'm thinking I will remove the glass baffle where the overflow drains down to make room for the Clarisea 5000 and then I will move the glass baffle that divides the original refugium chamber in the back and the return chamber in the front to make a larger fuge chamber for the reactor.

Either that, or I can run the reactor out of the sump on the left side and do a separate electrical cabinet.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harvested the first batch out of the Tunze Macro Reactor 3181.

Pros:
- Removal was a breeze, probably one of the easiest pieces to maintain, really easy to harvest with minimal head space clearance required
- Actually had some pods within the reactor, must get pretty dizzy :oops:
- Moderate growth, could have probably waited a bit but wanted to see (probably 4-5x increase but new tank)
- Some had mentioned the algae stopped spinning, mine was till turning well with room on the valve (off my return header) to increase flow if needed

Cons:
- Had some hair algae within the cheato, not sure if that came with the cheato, had to wipe down the sides to remove
- Some cheato does escape from the reactor and ends up in the display, not much and the only place I see it is in my gyre screens

Time will tell if this is big enough for the tank. With a total water volume of 175ish so far it's kept nutrients in spec and I have a fairly large fish load on a new tank (transfer from the old). I will also need to tune/watch nutrients after harvesting to figure out how much and when to remove.

Initial new cheato from Algae Barn, the smallest size I think, 1 oz

IMG_5710.jpg

Harvest (a little over 2 months on a new tank, same white bowl for reference, cheato more dense)

IMG_6088.jpg

Super easy maintenance:

IMG_6087.jpg

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, time to air out the dirty laundry. A new tank I new I would probably struggle a bit on SPS, and I have.....

Bubblegum Digi - Have no idea but literally overnight had 90% die. Some is still hanging on but we'll see...:( . Also had one purple bonsai die, I tried one other time with those and just can't get them. My purple acro (test coral) is still doing OK and getting coraline algae growth all around the tank.

IMG_6076.jpg

Hoping these frags far better. There a few weeks old and will be the last bunch for awhile.

IMG_6083.jpg

Nursing a cool blasto I got for dirt cheap, high end piece but was fragged poorly (was about half of what you see a few weeks ago). Filling out better.

IMG_6086.jpg

The BTA is doing really well.

IMG_6080.jpg

Rest of my LPS's are doing well:

IMG_6066.jpg

Most (minus rasta and eagle eye) started off as single polyps

IMG_6084.jpg

IMG_6085.jpg

IMG_6081.jpg

IMG_6058.jpg

IMG_6067.jpg

IMG_6069.jpg

This guy seems to be stressing a bit....
IMG_6077.jpg
IMG_6075.jpg

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, time to air out the dirty laundry. A new tank I new I would probably struggle a bit on SPS, and I have.....

Bubblegum Digi - Have no idea but literally overnight had 90% die. Some is still hanging on but we'll see...:( . Also had one purple bonsai die, I tried one other time with those and just can't get them. My purple acro (test coral) is still doing OK and getting coraline algae growth all around the tank.

IMG_6076.jpg

Hoping these frags far better. There a few weeks old and will be the last bunch for awhile.

IMG_6083.jpg

Nursing a cool blasto I got for dirt cheap, high end piece but was fragged poorly (was about half of what you see a few weeks ago). Filling out better.

IMG_6086.jpg

The BTA is doing really well.

IMG_6080.jpg

Rest of my LPS's are doing well:

IMG_6066.jpg

Most (minus rasta and eagle eye) started off as single polyps

IMG_6084.jpg

IMG_6085.jpg

IMG_6081.jpg

IMG_6058.jpg

IMG_6067.jpg

IMG_6069.jpg

This guy seems to be stressing a bit....
IMG_6077.jpg
IMG_6075.jpg

Took the photos with a new lens kit for my iPhone. Really like it so far.

ORPHEK LENS – 2020 Kit for...

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second that you can use Red Sea socks and cups. I’ve ordered both and they fit perfect.

After @craftbrews gets his roller installed and reviewed :) I’ll probably just rip mine out (again) and cut down time on one more chore and install the roller.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big C Thank you for this build thread. I have been wanting to upgrade from my RS 250 to a larger tank and your build thread has pointed me towards the Prostar. After going through this build would you do anything different? Like going to 7 inch socks or to a Filter roller. Different Macro Alga reactor? Things like that.

I just ordered this same tank V2 from my LFS and he is giving me a SERIOUS discount. I did have to give him a few high end Acro frags as well. No big deal there.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big C Thank you for this build thread. I have been wanting to upgrade from my RS 250 to a larger tank and your build thread has pointed me towards the Prostar. After going through this build would you do anything different? Like going to 7 inch socks or to a Filter roller. Different Macro Alga reactor? Things like that.

I just ordered this same tank V2 from my LFS and he is giving me a SERIOUS discount. I did have to give him a few high end Acro frags as well. No big deal there.

NP, glad this could help folks.

1. V2 should be easier to hard plumb the returns. But mine hasn’t leaked and like the flexibility. My overflow has reduced in noise over the last month.

2. Too much flow. Instead of the WAV should have went with some MP10 or 20 in the back. I really like the WaveEngine.

3. Return pump is to big but I can throttle back with the gate valve and have plenty of flow for other equipment.

4. Don’t cement all your rock in.....

5. I don’t mind the socks, maybe a roller in the future. They socks are easy to take in/out.

6. The algae reactor I think is a bit small, I would consider a ATS. But the tank is still new and I’m figuring out this AWC and what volumes I should be doing. The thing grows cheato and is really easy to harvest.

7. To much light for a LPS tank. Had issues finding shaded spots below 200 par with radions at 30% and hybrid 12” off the glass. Any higher it really bleeds light into the room/eyes......

8. Ended up using a Jager heater in the BRS controller as my BRS heater took a dump and got tired of the BRS heater product issues.

Other than that I haven’t had issues. Glass is really clear and love all the room in the cabinet.

Let me know if you need anything else.

bilabong73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my 150 peninsula delivered this week. I love it so far and anticipate a very close setup.

78C6B671-9087-471B-BCF8-B14E0F61476D.jpeg 6EDF3766-3D20-4FD8-A2B8-3DA0C628E28E.jpeg

Justin Aretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my 150 peninsula delivered this week. I love it so far and anticipate a very close setup.

78C6B671-9087-471B-BCF8-B14E0F61476D.jpeg 6EDF3766-3D20-4FD8-A2B8-3DA0C628E28E.jpeg

hey man, thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. Can youexplain ...are both long sides of the peninsula identical in terms of appearance. And are both sides operable with doors? the website only gives photos of one side which is theopposite side of what you’re showing. Thanks in advanced

bilabong73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey man, thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. Can youexplain ...are both long sides of the peninsula identical in terms of appearance. And are both sides operable with doors? the website only gives photos of one side which is theopposite side of what you’re showing. Thanks in advanced
I had to cut a hole in the opposite side to swap the tank 180 and flip the plumbing and sump around.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back