Proactive Question About Anthias and Uronema

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering adding a group of Lyretail Anthia to my system. I currently have 3 other fish in the system (Kole, McCosker’s, Blue Star Wrasse). All the fish were brought through a commercial QT process.

I have seen that Anthias are prone to Uronema, similar to Chromis. Assuming that I use this same QT service, and it is within driving distance of my home, how much of a risk am I really looking at?

Attn: @Jay Hemdal

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am considering adding a group of Lyretail Anthia to my system. I currently have 3 other fish in the system (Kole, McCosker’s, Blue Star Wrasse). All the fish were brought through a commercial QT process.

I have seen that Anthias are prone to Uronema, similar to Chromis. Assuming that I use this same QT service, and it is within driving distance of my home, how much of a risk am I really looking at?

Attn: Hemdal
Overall not a high risk until one catches it
You can do a formalin bath with quick cure or ruby rally pro

OP
OP
RGoltz

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall not a high risk until one catches it
You can do a formalin bath with quick cure or ruby rally pro
Assuming that the fish are proactively QT’d and treated for 45 days is the parasite not neutralized? What should I be asking the QT vendor about in terms of prophylactic treatment (e.g. a 10-14 day regimen of Chloroquine Phosphate or Metro)?

Again, I’m perhaps being a little cautious here. But I will absolutely be using a QT service and want to understand whether there is some unaccounted risk here..

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely see Uronema on anthias. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, and I've QT'd hundreds of them. If you choose to do so, they need to be run through formalin first, as by the time you see the tell tale "cut," it's too late.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Assuming that the fish are proactively QT’d and treated for 45 days is the parasite not neutralized? What should I be asking the QT vendor about in terms of prophylactic treatment (e.g. a 10-14 day regimen of Chloroquine Phosphate or Metro)?

Again, I’m perhaps being a little cautious here. But I will absolutely be using a QT service and want to understand whether there is some unaccounted risk here..
I have 6 and no concern
If they’re truly quarantined by vendor- should be clear

OP
OP
RGoltz

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at you guys! Thanks for the quick responses and all the information.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back