OP
OP
Jose Mayo

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just letting the mind walk ... if the infectivity of Vibrio vulnificus is iron dependent, and if this microorganism plays an important role in coral diseases, as a very present part of the microbial complex involved, perhaps the concentration of iron in our aquariums has an importance higher than previously predicted and perhaps its induced limitation with the use of chelators, if necessary, may represent a pathway to be followed for the control of these diseases, especially STN.

There is a specific chelator for iron (which is also capable of binding to aluminum), which has been developed for use in human medicine, but has also been used in testing and is known to be safe for corals (but not for zooxanthellae). whose study for use in aquaria may perhaps be developed. This chelator is desferrioxamine B (Desferal® Vials, 500mg or 2g - Novartis Lab) and appears to be very effective.

However, there is a limit that should not be exceeded in iron depletion because it is also a very important element for the proper functioning of zooxanthella photosystems and when their concentration is below or above optimal levels, also depending on temperature and of the intensity of illumination to which the coral is submitted, oxidative stress bleaching may occur, as read in the article below:

https://digitalcommons.library.umaine.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1301&context=orsp_reports

Regards

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very interesting. So I'm assuming a product like Seachem Kanaplex would suffice? I wonder at what ratio you would mix?

As I said I am going through an STN event and who knows I may try this...if I do I will sure document.

Yes kanaplex is kanamycin. She said there's no set ratio/dose so just try mixing in a little.

OP
OP
Jose Mayo

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting about the iron. I had high iron on my Triton test.
I was quite surprised, with the possibility that maybe the iron is a possible cause of the altered balance between coral and its surface microbiota, especially Vibrio vulníficus.

I'll have to look for more information ...

Regards

Ashley Kekua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ampicillin is a beta-lactam antibiotic, which are known to be fairly unstable in aqueous environments. That being said, it looks like ampicillin in saline tends to only degrade abnout 10% in 2-3 days so the one dose may be sufficient.

Thanks for the reply. I actually did dose iodine slowly over the last week up to NSW level so maybe that will help :)
did the iodine help?

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, there is still no experience in aquarism with this treatment, but some things I know, I can say:

- The best ampicillin for aquaristic purpose is the injectable, for human intravenous use. It comes in bottles of 500 or 1000 mg in the form of powder for diluition in distilled water for injections or RO / DI.

- It is diluted with 2 to 3 ml of water in the vial itself, and then this first dilution and re-diluted in 98 or 97 ml of water, giving a concentration of 5 or 10 mg / ml at this dilution.

- At this dilution, at room temperature, it is stable for up to 12 hours, after which time autocatalysis begins. For this reason, it should be administered to the aquarium every 12 hours, with partial changes of water, to avoid accumulation.

- The dosage used in the experiment under controlled conditions and with pharmaceutical grade drugs of known origin was 1.0 mg / liter every 12 hours with 50% water exchange.

- Ampicillin alone was able to halt the WBD process in the tested acropores, being considered cured with six days of treatment without progression of the lesions.

- Ampicillin did not act on the protozoan Philaster lucinda, who is able to eat live coral tissue on the banks of the lesion, but Metronidazole did the job of eliminating it, at the same dosage of 1 mg / liter 12/12 hours.

- The combined use of the two drugs, at the dose described, appears to have potential to control coral disease under aquarium-hospital conditions within six days, according to the study presented above.

Although this study seems promising, there is so far no use protocol that contemplates this approach in aquarism. In an approximate drawing, and in my opinion, the sick coral should be transferred as soon as possible to a treatment environment with the minimum support conditions, such as water oxygenation (air injection by porous stone), blue spectrum light, good circulation and stable temperature, according to the requirements of the species. Because of frequent water changes, I believe that levels of ammonia and nutrients are not a concern.

Best regards
Hey Jose,
Long time no hear ;-)

Concerning this section here:

- Ampicillin did not act on the protozoan Philaster lucinda, who is able to eat live coral tissue on the banks of the lesion, but Metronidazole did the job of eliminating it, at the same dosage of 1 mg / liter 12/12 hour

So for a 1000 Liter Reef tank,
I would only need 1gram of Metronidazole to kill the Philaster???

Do I get this right?

-Andre

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it would be a good time to breathe life back into this thread. I have an Acropora dominate system. I went through a tank crash a couple of months ago. I dosed Vibrant for two months, then Chemiclean, then Fluconazole all back to back. At the same time, I had low iodine and high potassium and also switched out my low end LED's for all ATI T5's. It was a recipe for disaster. I lost about 40 pieces throughout all of this.

Everything is looking good now with growth and color but I still have a couple of existing pieces that have STN at the bottom and working their way up. My thoughts were that all of the things I dosed wiped out or majorly affected the Biome and killed off good bacteria. I often wonder if this did happen then maybe bad bacteria such as Vibrio,etc have taken over.

I purchased a bottle of Dr. Tim's ECO-Balance because it is supposed to be good bacteria and help to fight against Vibrio, etc.

What is everyone's opinion on this? I really am against making any other changes at this point but would like to stop the STN if possible through adding good bacteria as ECO-Balance.

These are a couple of corals with STN. I have about 5 corals out of 40 that look like this. The rest look good.

Secale
P3020688.jpg

P3040747.jpg

Nasuta
P3040750.jpg
P3020727.jpg

One week later on Nasuta
P3140957.jpg

P3140960.jpg

P3140961.jpg

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it would be a good time to breathe life back into this thread. I have an Acropora dominate system. I went through a tank crash a couple of months ago. I dosed Vibrant for two months, then Chemiclean, then Fluconazole all back to back. At the same time, I had low iodine and high potassium and also switched out my low end LED's for all ATI T5's. It was a recipe for disaster. I lost about 40 pieces throughout all of this.

Everything is looking good now with growth and color but I still have a couple of existing pieces that have STN at the bottom and working their way up. My thoughts were that all of the things I dosed wiped out or majorly affected the Biome and killed off good bacteria. I often wonder if this did happen then maybe bad bacteria such as Vibrio,etc have taken over.

I purchased a bottle of Dr. Tim's ECO-Balance because it is supposed to be good bacteria and help to fight against Vibrio, etc.

What is everyone's opinion on this? I really am against making any other changes at this point but would like to stop the STN if possible through adding good bacteria as ECO-Balance.

These are a couple of corals with STN. I have about 5 corals out of 40 that look like this. The rest look good.

Secale
P3020688.jpg

P3040747.jpg

Nasuta
P3040750.jpg
P3020727.jpg

One week later on Nasuta
P3140957.jpg

P3140960.jpg

P3140961.jpg
Read up this FB post on the Witchhazel treatment and other useful info what to avoid and to do.

1616184096848.png

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read. I’m still quite interested how the Philaster’s (scavengers) always know exactly when show up at the scene. It made sense to me (judging by their body shape) that they could be the primary cause for the actual RTN event itself. They are literally long, slender, and rapid moving critters (Not to mention their massive numbers). They’re comparable to a Greyhound or Cheetah in the natural world. They appear to be built for speed. Exactly what’s needed to wipe out an entire tank within hours. Although... they didn’t appear to be the first cause, they definitely finished the job. Every time I see a video of those things it freaks me out.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me a thousand of these Philaster’s couldn’t swarm an Acro colony and make it RTN in 30 minutes. Thing is built for extreme speed.
1D66CC97-5008-42EF-9DF9-93D9A80B1B8A.jpeg

reefpizza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i finish my research here, i have "non sense" STN/RTN i think i have found the reason, any news about the treatment above?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back