Problem algae

paraletho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have recently been having a problem with what I thought was dinos. I think this is the one. This algae lives in places like the Great Salt Lake, the Red Sea. It outcompetes other species because of it's ability to live in a variety of salinities. Dunaliella salina. How is it getting to my tank? Salt Mixes? Once established it sounds like it will be hard to get rid of. Actually one of the few algaes that produces abundant amounts of B-carotene when in a hypersaline environment. It is commercially harvested for vitamin producers. My fish eat it like crazy when I scrape the glass, but I don't think it is doing my corals any good. In low nutrient environments it creates a food vacuole and attacks whatever it can find to eat. ie my corals, coraline algae, etc.

Any algae experts out there that can give some advice or correct my ID.

oscarinw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those microscopic pictures? Could you upload a regular picture of your tank problem areas? I am no expert but I have had a few episodes with algae. At the very least, I'd like to learn something from your question.

OP
OP
paraletho

paraletho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those microscopic pictures? Could you upload a regular picture of your tank problem areas? I am no expert but I have had a few episodes with algae. At the very least, I'd like to learn something from your question.
Yes they are. I will try to take a growth habit picture and post it. These pictures are at X900. the cells are very motile, but I have yet to see flagellum leading me to believe they are not dinoflagellates. They start early in the day when the lights come on and form a film first then progress if left undisturbed into reddish brown snotty strings full of gas bubbles.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back