Problem With Newly-Installed 6-stage RO/DI & Booster (Keeps Cycling Back “On”)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BD95D390-145B-46B3-BE55-F51B37E08839.jpeg

Just finished this set-up, and tested it. The good news is, no leaks. (It’s a very good thing I bought and installed a booster pump, since without it the system pressure is only about 35. The booster pump raises it to 80.)

Here’s the problem:

Until my water tank arrives and I get to install a float valve on the exiting ‘good water’ line (Blue), I have put a ball valve at the end of the line which I can close to simulate a full water tank. Soon thereafter, the pressure switch on the Blue line signals a rise in pressure to the system (at 90) as it is supposed to do, and the booster pump shuts off power; waste water (Black line) ceases. HOWEVER the system pressure-drops and after about 30-40 seconds the booster pump kicks back on... for about 15 seconds, producing waste water, until the pressure from the closed Blue line ball valves raises pressure back to 90 and shuts off the booster pump again.

Certainly something must be malfunctioning, as I would be cycling the pump and sending waste water down the drain throughout the day at this rate. Thoughts/help about the pressure drop, please...?

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your ball valve is faulty and is leaking water, causing pressure to drop. From what I understand, this a a common issue with ball valves. With your booster pump installed, it might also be adding increasing pressure on that ball valve.

OP
OP
JumboShrimp

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you; I can certainly see a cheap plastic ball valve being the weak link in the chain. So then let’s hope when I remove the ‘test’ ball valve and get the float valve hooked up, it will be ‘problem solved.’ Overall, do you think 80 is too much pressure— there is a screw to adjust it downward, but I don’t want to defeat the purpose of the booster pump— so maybe 70-75?

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, your RO membrane will work better with higher pressure. 80 is absolutely fine. Some run up to 100-150 PSI. As long as your RO setup is solidly constructed, you will be fine at max output of your booster pump.

Last edited:

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a you made any buckets of water with the setup maybe there is just some trapped air working it’s way through your system.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back