Problems with this method of Fallow and Quarantine?

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so despite all my best efforts, something has made it back in my display. Naturally I have acquired more fish since my last fallow episode so I’m a bit torn on what I should do. I’m actually in the midst of hunting for a larger tank as an upgrade so am thinking of doing these two things simultaneously (since I’ll be pulling the tank apart regardless) I’m wondering if this is a possibility since my plan is to upgrade my DT.

What if instead of pulling all my fish, i pull all the rock, coral and inverts, house them in their own tank and treat the DT with something like chloroquine. Obviously copper would be out of the question. I know chloroquine will kill algae, inverts etc but curious if it’s ever been attempted? Hypo would be another option. I do have the unique position due to my aquascape and current coral stocking to literally house all that in a separate tank, take my DT down to nothing but Sand and PVC and treat that way. I could literally use my current DT as a quarantine tank and would only have to move the fish temporarily when I go to set up my new larger display. The rock, coral and inverts will have been sitting in their own tank with no fish for the appropriate amount of time to starve out any parasites that may hatch. I also shouldn’t have to worry about any cycling in my temporary rock/coral/invert tank with all the rock in there.

I suppose I’d have to worry about sand absorbing the CP and rendering it ineffective right? I do like the idea of having my sump, skimmer, reactors, etc on hand in the event I need to rid the water of something in a hurry. Plus once treatment is over, and I have the new tank ready to go, I only need to House my fish somewhere very temporary to make sure the new tank isn’t going to go through a major cycle, but all my rock will have been sitting and waiting in it’s own tank ready with the bio filtration on hand and free of hatched parasites.

Also given that my tank/sand is almost two years old, I’d probably start with fresh sand in the new DT.

Thoughts?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I’d have to worry about sand absorbing the CP and rendering it ineffective right?

Your biggest problem is going to be the biofilm that has built up in your display and in your sand that will render the CP useless in quick order. You'd probably be better off using copper in this situation. Just toss the sand and get new for the new tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your biggest problem is going to be the biofilm that has built up in your display and in your sand that will render the CP useless in quick order. You'd probably be better off using copper in this situation. Just toss the sand and get new for the new tank.

+1

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back