Process for sterilizing/re-using a QT tank?

Stretch886

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have a decent understanding of how to setup a QT tank for new or sick fish. My question is what needs to happen afterwards to make it ready to use again.

I plan to keep some type of media brick/ball in my sump, so that I can transfer to QT when needed, but am I allowed to transfer that media back to the sump after QT? Do I need to then quarantine the media or let it dry out for a period so that it doesn't take any sickness back into my DT? Can I keep the media in the QT and use it for the next new or sick fish? What about mechanical filters, carbon and such? Do I need to dispose of all that after each use? I figure I need to drain out all the water and clean any PVC or whatever was in the tank as well right?

Is the QT maintenance this complicated between uses or am I over thinking it?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do two things, fisrt is rinse it a out with tap water then just leave it outside in the sun for a few weeks. If I want to reuse it quickly I'll empty it, spritz it with H2O2 really well, do that a couple more times over an hour or two then rinse it well with tap water and set it back up.

OP
OP
Stretch886

Stretch886

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do two things, fisrt is rinse it a out with tap water then just leave it outside in the sun for a few weeks. If I want to reuse it quickly I'll empty it, spritz it with H2O2 really well, do that a couple more times over an hour or two then rinse it well with tap water and set it back up.
Thanks.

Do you use any filtration media that you move back and forth between tanks? If so what's your process for that? Otherwise how do you establish your cycle?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to sterilize , just reuse and treat again.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll move rock, sand and water from the display tank the animals will be going in to the QT in most cases.
Then what do you do with the rock sand afterwards? That never gets covered. Do you tras
No reason to sterilize , just reuse and treat again.

Treat with what? For what?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then what do you do with the rock sand afterwards? That never gets covered. Do you tras

Treat with what? For what?

Depends. Sand looses it's buffering capacity over time and some gets thrown out when I tear down a QT. SOmetimes I soak it in H2O2 and after setting out and drying well gets reused. SOmetimes to reuse the rock I'll let the QT go fallow for several months and sometimes the rock gets hosed off well outside with tap water and tossed on a pile to be reused at some later date.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back