Product comparison for a Noob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mjforbes33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain the sifference between the fluidized media reactor and the spyglass reactor?

From my research, this is the main difference:

Fluidized media reactor = external, sntads alone outside aump

Spyglass reactor = inside sump

Am i correct with this?

I have minimal space so i am looking for a carbon reactor to stand alone without needing to be in sump. I think the MR5 is what i want but just want to be sure before ordering.

Thank you on advance

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct. If you want an external reactor dedicated to carbon then the MR series is the right choice. The Spyglass works better for fluidizing finicky media and is easier to service but with normal carbon you are better of with the MR. If you wanted to use Rox .8 carbon and mix a little GFO in with it, the Spyglass would be the better choice, but you would need to find room in your sump.

OP
OP
mjforbes33

mjforbes33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I placed my order. And being brand new to the hobby, true to form I screwed something up.

AVAST noticed, emailed me to correct it, and didnt even charge me for the difference... I've only been a customer for a few hours but with service like that I'll be a customer for life. You dont see that level of service very often in 2018.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's rare for a noob to get it right the first time, and you found Avast right away, good for you and now you won't have to sale a bunch a beginner junk. Happy Reefing

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back