Products That Might Help Seed Dry Rock?

ChrisP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I've been reading and hearing a lot about reefers having much less success with dry rock tanks vs. live rock. Is anyone aware of any products or combination of products that might speed up the process - i.e. making dry rock more similar to live rock in less time?

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple products are on the market to speed up cycling time, creating a nitrifying bacteria population that can support fish much quicker than without using such products. But I think what you're referring to is making a tank 'SPS-ready' which seems to just take a really long time with dry rock and the reason doesn't seem to be well understood.

The prevailing theory I think is that it's related to bacteria, but maybe not so much nitrifying population as other species and/or overall diversity.

You could try a bunch of different bacteria products, 'seeding' with live rock from another source, and/or try adding hardy tester coral. I'd expect some deaths tho, at least initially if you add them too soon.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some stuff from ipsf that I am hoping increases my chance of success with a dry rock tank. My order comes in tomorrow.
4872B36B-C8CF-4EDB-A877-709AD1AB13C5.png

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I've been reading and hearing a lot about reefers having much less success with dry rock tanks vs. live rock. Is anyone aware of any products or combination of products that might speed up the process - i.e. making dry rock more similar to live rock in less time?
You could add some gulfliverock.com or equivalent if you have room. The live rock life will spread to the dry rock.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
the fact that people are having less success in "dry rock" tanks, i believe it to be the lack of ecosystem to support all the life that reefers are just tossing into their tanks.

Sure, most people will use DR Tims one and only, but that just to get the cycle going,,, fact is the cycle never ends;; having said that, give it time to mature, if you cant wait or want to get things going a bit faster, start a refugium tank, and plumb it to your sump, find a local guy on offer up or CL that will sell or trade you live rock, or rock from a mature tank (always ask if they have encountered any pests in the past), and get some pods in there as well; i got pods from a chunk of chaeto from another reefer who had an established tank and that helped me seed my refugium and save money on purchasing the pods , this will help start an ecosystem for the life you want to add.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The doctor tims line is great for establishing mulitple strains of beneficial bacteria. One and only, eco balance, waste away and refresh are all different strains of bacteria that benefit the tanks ecosystem. And dont forget to ghost feed the rock system every once in a while

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add some gulfliverock.com or equivalent if you have room. The live rock life will spread to the dry rock.

$85 for 17 lbs shipped.
I agree.
It might seem like a lot to pay but.......
You can pay now, or pay later, with unwanted algea and possibly dinos.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should any of these products/or could any of these products be added to an established tank for simply adding diversity?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the products listed work well. However there is nothing in a bottle that will give you what comes with aged wet rock. Everything in the bottles just gets the process rolling.

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a clam flat and dig you own "wonder mud" haha
So if u lived near the beach, would u get a shovel full and mix it with your sand or put in sump?
Just wondering setting up my upgrade tank after I move

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if u lived near the beach, would u get a shovel full and mix it with your sand or put in sump?
Best bet is to get a cup full a few times a year. Place it inside of a Tupperware and set it in the tank. Take it back out after a week or so. If I was by the ocean I would do it regularly

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uber controversial and alot of people on here would say not in a million years but if you can find an area you know isnt polluted that has sand without alot of organics you could put in in a rubbermaid and do water changes until you got 0 ammonia and add it to a sump. But you would likely end up with silica sand and possibly hitchhikers so I was just kidding around. Although tbh I have sand and mud from a beach near me in my sump with a mangrove planted in it. So would I? Yes would I suggest someone do that no.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some really cool pieces of dry rock that you really want to use, that is cool, but I would mix it up with some live rock. I don't think this hobby has progressed enough to lay down a blueprint on how to succeed without live rock. I'm sure some people have, but they are in the minority and probably more lucky than good.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't worry about hitchhikers. There's an entire industry available to remove what ever you don't want. I've always viewed the positives from diversity far outweigh the negative. That's all personal philosophy though.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some live rock there is No real substitute for Mother Nature

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back