Status
Not open for further replies.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much discussion, among staff members, and after taking considerable time, to edit posts and thread titles, we've decided to make an announcement, regarding the use of Masked Vulgarity. This is directed at ALL MEMBERS.

In case you're unaware of what "Masked Vulgarity" is, it's the use of keyboard symbols, in place of actual vulgarity. It's generally used as a way to get by the Vulgarity filter, on forums. To be honest, we all know what Masked Vulgarity is. I didn't think it needed to be said, but I suppose it does...this is a "Family Oriented" forum. All members need to keep that in mind, when they're posting. The Masked Vulgarity needs to stop.

Staff members do not have time to "police" every thread that's made, nor should we need to. From here on out, when Masked Vulgarity is encountered, we will not take the time to edit it. Instead, we will DELETE the thread or post, completely. We will also issue a warning. This warning will come in the form of an infraction. The reason for an infraction is so staff members have a record of what has occurred. Continued use of Masked Vulgarity, by someone who's received a warning, may result in a temporary loss of posting privileges. Further violations may result in the member being banned.

We staff members do not want to have to enforce this. There's no reason for mature people to need to use Masked Vulgarity, on a family oriented website. Let's all keep R2R family friendly and clean.

Thank you all, Very Much, for your cooperation!!

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying, from all staff members, THANK YOU! We've noticed a HUGE reduction in the use of Masked Vulgarity and that is appreciated!

Since it's been almost a month, since this announcement was made, enough time for members to familiarize themselves with this policy, we're going to start enforcing this, as outlined above.

We will delete offending posts, without warning and issue an infraction. Please keep in mind, Infractions are not permanent, nor will initial infractions reduce anyone's abilities on the forums. An infraction is just a way to inform a member of an issue and a way for staff members to track the enforcement of this policy.

Thank you all for your understand and cooperation. In case anyone is unclear, I'll reiterate...

Swear words are not allowed on our family friendly site. We have a "swear filter" that automatically replaces swear words with Asterisks. We have had issues with posts including Masked Vulgarity, as a way around the filter. We've also had issues posts that include swearing that the filter does catch. There's absolutely no need for this and it will not be tolerated.

Last edited:

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a reminder that we have started giving infractions for offenders of this rule so please don't break it, I hate giving them...

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it's time for another reminder of our policy. Please review and familiarize yourself with this thread. Staff members don't like issuing infractions, but we will not be wasting our time editing to remove vulgarity/masked vulgarity either. Please don't force us to issue infractions for something so easily avoided.

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reminder of the definition, from the original announcement post...

In case you're unaware of what "Masked Vulgarity" is, it's the use of keyboard symbols, in place of actual vulgarity. It's generally used as a way to get by the Vulgarity filter, on forums. To be honest, we all know what Masked Vulgarity is. I didn't think it needed to be said, but I suppose it does...this is a "Family Oriented" forum. All members need to keep that in mind, when they're posting. The Masked Vulgarity needs to stop.

So, for those who are using symbols, such as &#* etc. in place of letters, to "spell" a vulgar word, you are in violation of our Masked Vulgarity Policy and will receive an infraction.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been issuing infractions and have adopted a zero tolerance policy for this problem. Please don't use profanity on Reef2Reef, we absolutely hate it and hate giving infractions. There are much better ways to get the same point across than using profanity.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another reminder, please review the rules above and refrain from using vulgarity in your posts. Team R2R IS currently handing out infractions for violations of this rule.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. This rule includes abbreviated vulgarity and asterisks and symbols used to get around the profanity filter.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for another reminder....

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that this thread needs a bump as a gentile reminder that vulgarity is not allowed....

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that this thread needs a bump as a gentile reminder that vulgarity is not allowed....

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let me start by saying, from all staff members, THANK YOU! We've noticed a HUGE reduction in the use of Masked Vulgarity and that is appreciated!

We will delete offending posts, without warning and issue an infraction. Please keep in mind, Infractions are not permanent, nor will initial infractions reduce anyone's abilities on the forums. An infraction is just a way to inform a member of an issue and a way for staff members to track the enforcement of this policy.

Thank you all for your understand and cooperation. In case anyone is unclear, I'll reiterate...

Swear words are not allowed on our family friendly site. We have a "swear filter" that automatically replaces swear words with Asterisks. We have had issues with posts including Masked Vulgarity, as a way around the filter. We've also had issues posts that include swearing that the filter does catch. There's absolutely no need for this and it will not be tolerated.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Friendly reminder bump :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Friendly reminder :bump:

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another friendly reminder...we've seen a lot more intentional use of Masked Vulgarity lately and we're going to start cracking down on it...again...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a friendly reminder. :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys, lately the vulgarity/profanity use is happening a lot more frequently. Unfortunately, that means we're going to have to be stricter on those posts once again. Please help us out by avoiding words that may be offensive to others (even if they aren't offensive to you), and also avoid abbreviations that involve those terms. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back