Profilux 4 WiFi Firmware Update - Locks up USB Port

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vinny@GHLUSA,

I updated to the latest WiFi/Web firmware this morning (webinterface V3.11.3, WiFi-Firmware 7087) and now the WiFi radio doesn't work (no lights on the front of the controller) but more importantly - the USB port locks up the Profilux 4 each time its connected to my computer. Update indicated it was successful.

Profilux 4 Firmware: v7.24

My Controller is now completely out of commission. I backed up both the settings and the sensor data before doing the WiFi update but I'm unable to plug the USB cable in to load those backed up files into the P4.

I'm running on my emergency heater and have connected my pump, skimmer & ATO to spare connections on my UPS.

Please advise corrective course of action soonest. My Doser is completely offline as well.

Thanks!

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you reset your P4 after the update? what does it say on the panel? Does it say operational mode if it does reset the unit.

You can use the emergency update tool also at:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Ditto say - you need to reset the P4. Just take out the power cable for a couple of seconds and let it start up again.

You may also need to rewrite the networks settings.

Sometimes you need a new reset when you have add the networks settings again

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
RickSanford

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto and @Lasse ,
Thanks for your replies. Yes - I reset the P4 after the update (momentary push of the reset button) and I unplugged the unit to re-install the cover per the emergency instructions (followed them to the letter). It came back up in factory default mode.

The sensors are working and reading correctly. The WiFi lights are dark. If I plug in my USB cable connected to my PC laptop, the P4 completely freezes. The only way to unfreeze it is to power cycle the unit.

Fortunately I have a back up of settings - but I need to be able to communicate with the unit over USB in order to load them correctly (since WiFi is completely out).

I regressed the firmware back to 7.21 with the same exact result. The emergency instructions for the WiFi firmware assume you can connect to the unit either via WiFi or the USB interface as well.

Thanks again - any other suggestions?

Apologies for the delayed response - was outside clearing 2‘ of snow here in Woodland Park, CO.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto and @Lasse ,
Thanks for your replies. Yes - I reset the P4 after the update (momentary push of the reset button) and I unplugged the unit to re-install the cover per the emergency instructions (followed them to the letter). It came back up in factory default mode.

The sensors are working and reading correctly. The WiFi lights are dark. If I plug in my USB cable connected to my PC laptop, the P4 completely freezes. The only way to unfreeze it is to power cycle the unit.

Fortunately I have a back up of settings - but I need to be able to communicate with the unit over USB in order to load them correctly (since WiFi is completely out).

I regressed the firmware back to 7.21 with the same exact result. The emergency instructions for the WiFi firmware assume you can connect to the unit either via WiFi or the USB interface as well.

Thanks again - any other suggestions?

Apologies for the delayed response - was outside clearing 2‘ of snow here in Woodland Park, CO.
Have you opened a ticket with support?

It freezes as soon as you plug in the USB? Or when you try to connect with GCC?

Tony

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wifi firmware is independent to the P4 base firmware. You can even have it corrupt and the unit will remain functioning. Just would only be able To communicate with it via the USB port.

I assume since you said you took the cover off you did these instructions:

If you did this then follow these instructions again and get your firmware back to 7.24. You will not be able to restore your settings of your backups are 7.24 to 7.21.

After you do that reboot the unit. Make sure you shutdown the emergency P4 tool on your PC as both the emergency P4 tool and emergency wifi tool use the com port to the P4.

Connect to your P4 again but use the GHL desktop software it going to say it needs to factory default it. Go ahead and save the settings. Then close the desktop software.

Then open and run the emergency wifi tool and reboot the unit again.

After you do that you should be back in business to restore your settings and configuration.

And agree with @Tristren open up a suppprt ticket also.

OP
OP
RickSanford

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wifi firmware is independent to the P4 base firmware. You can even have it corrupt and the unit will remain functioning. Just would only be able To communicate with it via the USB port.

I assume since you said you took the cover off you did these instructions:

If you did this then follow these instructions again and get your firmware back to 7.24. You will not be able to restore your settings of your backups are 7.24 to 7.21.

After you do that reboot the unit. Make sure you shutdown the emergency P4 tool on your PC as both the emergency P4 tool and emergency wifi tool use the com port to the P4.

Connect to your P4 again but use the GHL desktop software it going to say it needs to factory default it. Go ahead and save the settings. Then close the desktop software.

Then open and run the emergency wifi tool and reboot the unit again.

After you do that you should be back in business to restore your settings and configuration.

And agree with @Tristren open up a suppprt ticket also.
I moved the firmware back to 7.24 and shut down the Flasher program when the update was completed (I tried everything multiple times before posting here).

I even tried rebooting the PC before trying to connect with the GHL desktop software in order to ensure there wasn’t an open COM port call in Windows 10.

Will wait to see what support says and advise.

Thank you for your suggestions!

OP
OP
RickSanford

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto @Lasse @Tristren

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) - I have completed the Wi-Fi firmware update and I'm back up and running normally.

The rest of the story..........

I opened a ticket with GHL and actually ended up talking with Vinny live. He indicated GHL had never seen this issue before and said I'd need to ship my P4 back to the factory to have it diagnosed.

I'd gathered my packing materials (original bubble wrap & popcorn from the factory box plus the FEDEX box I was going to use to ship the P4 and USB cable in) and had printed the shipping label this morning. Just before heading to the drop-off location this afternoon, I decided to do one final Hail Mary and use my wife's Dell PC laptop to see if I got the same issue with the P4 lockup when the USB cable was inserted as I did with my more recent/much less expensive HP.

I've attached screen shots of the Windows 10 system on each machine.

The HP I was originally using to attempt the update is running Windows 10 Home v20H2 OS build 19042.867 [updated 11/08/20].

The Dell I used today (SUCCESSFULLY) to do the update is running Windows 10 Home v2004 build 19041.746 [updated 10/19/20].

The Dell - despite running the GHL USB driver installer included with GCC 1.1.3.2 - defaulted to USBSerial Driver on COM5 (as viewed in Device Manager) - absent the 'GHL Virtual Communications Port' moniker seen on the HP (COM3) after running the same driver installer (I realize which COM port is selected is irrelevant as they're machine dependent).

My guess is I've stumbled across an issue/bug in the GCC 1.1.3.2 beta code in terms of compatibility in the GHL USB Driver with the latest version of Windows 10 Home.

I apologize for the fire drill. I should have tried a second computer just like I tried a second cable - AND/OR - I should have reverted to the GCC 1.1.3.1 released code before sounding the alarm.

As I mentioned on the call with Vinny, I've been incredibly pleased with the reliability of the P4 system to-date. Discovering this issue in beta code is MUCH different than finding something wrong with the actual unit or the released code version. Lesson-learned. Revert to released version before crying wolf.

Thank you all for your willingness to offer insights and recommendations.

My Bad for sounding the alarm without reverting to the released version of code. I hope this thread helps someone else who may be having the same issue in the future.

Thanks again!
Rick

Attachments

• IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1719.jpg
    IMG_1719.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 70

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great!
And definitely a valid issue. a lot of people don't have a spare computer to test with either.
Having the unit reset like that is a serious issue so they'd want to know about it too.

Highvaknin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue as you described, p4 version is 7.24
Every time i connect the p4 to the pc via usb the p4 freeze and all power outlets.

i only work and configure the p4 trow wifi/myghl

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue as you described, p4 version is 7.24
Every time i connect the p4 to the pc via usb the p4 freeze and all power outlets.

i only work and configure the p4 trow wifi/myghl
The Knowledge Base USB article has information on this. Take a look.

Kngfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it to work with my SA doser USB but not consistently. I have had no success connecting to the Profilux 4. The profilux just shuts down when connecting using USB. I have an AMD laptop (AMD Ryzen 5 5600H) running windows 11. I used a hub to connect to the SA Doser but took many tries (power cycles/laptop reboot/unplug USB cable). I see the "GHL Virtual..." and sometimes GCC connects and sometimes not. More consistent with a hub but sure wish this would work consistently. I have no issues when I use this same laptop with other USB devices like programing my drones or a pinewood derby timer. The issue I am having is really just the GHL devices and GCC where I have USB issues. The are no firmware updates from HP as I am running the most up to date firmware.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 55.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%

Back