ProfiLux and monitoring Alkalinity and other things ...

Discussion in 'GHL Advanced Technology' started by Matthias Gross, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross GHL Team R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

Hi

with the announcement of the P4 we also mentioned that Alkalinity and measurement of other parameters (e.g. Ca) are coming soon.

Personally I didn't expect that much of feedback and interest in these planned new features for the ProfiLux, actually I wasn't aware that this is something special since the automated measuring of Alkalinity and Calcium is standard in laborities, nutrient production and public water supply for decades ... nothing spectacular in my eyes.

However, we didn't want to just start a hype with some vage announcements, actually I planned to annouce more facts as soon as details like release date and prices are clear.

So now, as the "cat is out of the bag" (I hope this phrase makes sense in English;)) I want to give you some more information here.

Q: What is the current state of measuring Alk and Ca with a ProfiLux?
    A: GHL has been working on continous automatic alk monitoring for alsmost 2 years now. The prototypes are running reliably meanwhile. The next step is to design an affordable product for the "mass-production". Ca was easier, works also, but the price is here still the issue.

Q: Will this work for ProfiLux 4 only?
    A: No - Alk and Ca measuremtn will be possible with ProfiLux 4 AND ProfiLux 3

Q: Can I control or just measure?
    A: As with all probes a ProfiLux can use the readings to start actions like switching sockets (pumps, solenoids), dosers, etc. It is up to you if you only check the values and act on your own or if you let Profilux handle that.

Q: Release date and price?
    A: Sorry, still working on it. Don't want to disappoint if we can't keep the promises. But definetely in 2017.

Q: Can we see some videos?
    A: Later, not in this phase of development. Just don't want to be copied or start debates.

2. chema

chema Member

Matthias, this sounds so great! . I'm just drooling at the possibility of regulating the calcium reactor output (by means of a CO2 solenoid) according to the alkalinity lectures.

reef fish likes this.
  3. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

Following

4. Phil Cusimano

Phil Cusimano Active Member R2R Supporter

Following, another important feature would be a salinity probe. Does that already exist ... or is it something in development?

5. ReefRocker

ReefRocker Active Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

@Phil Cusimano The salinity probe has been available for years now, it's GHL's Conductivity probe.

daelie and Phil Cusimano like this.
  6. Phil Cusimano

Thanks for letting me know, I didn't see it on their website that's why I asked the question. Maybe because I was looking at the new release I didn't see it. I'd really love to put this controller on my new system that I'm current building. On my current system 55g I'm running the apex. Thanks for the assist in answering my question.

7. Phil Cusimano

My bad ... I see it now!

8. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor

Thanks for the update Matthias.

Phil Cusimano likes this.
  9. David Cher

David Cher Active Member

Subscribed

10. Phil Cusimano

Ditto!

11. ReefRocker

ReefRocker Active Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Go for it! Setting up the Profilux is much easier than having to learn the coding Apex demands. The level of reliability is on a whole other level.

I know I'll be getting a P4. :D

Phil Cusimano and daelie like this.
  12. acesq

acesq Active Member

This is very interesting and a potential game changer! Can you describe the method Profilux is using for measuring Alk?

13. daelie

daelie Active Member Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

If he were to describe it, then that would be exactly like showing a video, and he stated that he doesn't want to be copied or start debates in the final question above.

ebushrow likes this.
  14. adroc718

adroc718 Member R2R Supporter Showcase Editor

You didn't think that probes that can display a constant, accurate alk and calcium reading for reef tanks would be of much interest!!!?????
    Are you serious?
    Coincidence how Neptune just announced plans to have an alk probe too.
    You didn't want to make a vague hype marketing statement so you proceed to do just that ....... lol

15. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor

Neptune has the same response when I talked to them at MACNA. They didn't think it would be of value to enough users to justify the cost.

ebushrow likes this.
  16. Mallard

Mallard Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Neptune bought the exclusive rights to the automated alk monitoring tool presented here on R2R. They are planning for a release next year as well I believe. There is a press release with the info somewhere.

17. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Active Member

At least now I know what my 2016 tax return will be spent on. Can't wait to see what both companies bring to the market next year.

18. acesq

acesq Active Member

Just interested to know whether it is a probe like Mindspring or a titration system like Apex. No need for a video, to disclose proprietary information or debate the merits of each method.

19. Willz

Willz Well-Known Member

Then you have to know that the cost is going to be astronomical. I think anyone who read the Alkalinity Monitoring thread shouldn't get their hopes up for a $500 product for Apex or GHL. It will be priced high since the demand is high.

Phil Cusimano likes this.
  20. Phil Cusimano

I am, I love the apex system on my current aquarium ... but your point is well taken when it come to coding apex commands you can put your hair out. But I'm gonna do exactly that and go with the Profilux on the new reef aquarium. Thanks for you input.

fredro likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted