ProfiLux and monitoring Alkalinity and other things ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are way behind on their intended launch plans and their showing at the last 2 MACNA's was very dissapointing. They have had no real working demos and if you didn't know what Mindstream was, you certainly wouldn't have figured it out from their booth. Considering that they were trying to secure funding at MACNA 2015 through crowdfunding which they didn't make their mark, the effort to present themselves in their booth and at MACNA 2015 and 2016 along with their marketing was pretty disappointing. Especially at such a big venue. I don't have much faith in them or their product and I am certainly not holding my breath. It's a neat idea if it works but the discs will be costly too. Accuracy is critical and given their lack of effort to present themselves, it doesn't bode well for the quality of their product. Especially if they are trying to secure funding from marine aquarium industry. Just my .02..
I have to disagree with you on this Scott. I spent some time at the Mindstream booth at this MACNA talking to their representatives and still believe that they will bring their product to market and that it will work well. They have secured significant (well over a million dollars, if I recall correctly) venture capital after the Kickstarter campaign failed, have overcome a number of engineering issues, including the brush that wipes the sensor plates to clear them of biofouling, and are planning to launch next year. Hopefully it will be in the early part, but the rep was not willing to make any projections. I'm going to sit tight and see what MindStream does before I write them off. IF it works as well as they say, it will be a pretty awesome real time testing solution.

Whether GHL can produce an accurate and precise alk and calcium monitoring solution is an unknown. But if they can, that will be huge as well. Add that to what Neptune is doing with Jim Welsh's device -- which is a proven solution but with an unknown timeline for launch-- and we should see the holy grail of reefkeeping finally realized hopefully in 2017. Exciting times.

fredro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really hoping that realtime Alk and Ca monitoring will be something more than an automated reagent testing machine (as cool as it is...) that Neptune has in the works. The last thing I need is to find a spot to keep a device like I saw displayed at MACNA, on top of reagents and a waste container etc. As exciting as the Alk monitor was for most people and hearing that Neptune secured the rights to it made most people excited for Neptunes product, I wasn't as excited. I
Just don't see this and "new technology," being that it's just an automated reagent testing unit. Don't get me wrong, it's cool and all, but Is it really that efficient? Now, hearing that a company like GHL has Alk and Ca monitoring in the works... AND the Profilux P4 has ports and software that is ready and fully compatible with the forthcoming (or as it sounds, already present in Germany) technology and hardware that will be released, THAT gets me excited. And as if today, my P4 Mega Set has been preordered.

As far as the Mindstream monitor goes... it's been this mythical device that comes and goes in the press and at conferences, but in reality, there's not a lot that shows us that this device will be something that is too much more than a prototype to show off. Along with the term "replaceable discs/wheels," leaving much to be desired IMHO. There's nothing I don't want to have to do more than buy a $30 box of wheels yo change out every month. Also, my OCD kicks into Full gear every time I see a picture of the Mindstream device and how it sits on an angle, not even when it's mounted. I hope someone else knows what I'm talking about, or maybe it's just me.

The reality is, I'd take a substantiated rumor about a future GHL product release over a working demo of a Neptune product ANY day of the week.

GHL FTW.

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree with you on this Scott. I spent some time at the Mindstream booth at this MACNA talking to their representatives and still believe that they will bring their product to market and that it will work well. They have secured significant (well over a million dollars, if I recall correctly) venture capital after the Kickstarter campaign failed, have overcome a number of engineering issues, including the brush that wipes the sensor plates to clear them of biofouling, and are planning to launch next year. Hopefully it will be in the early part, but the rep was not willing to make any projections. I'm going to sit tight and see what MindStream does before I write them off. IF it works as well as they say, it will be a pretty awesome real time testing solution.

Whether GHL can produce an accurate and precise alk and calcium monitoring solution is an unknown. But if they can, that will be huge as well. Add that to what Neptune is doing with Jim Welsh's device -- which is a proven solution but with an unknown timeline for launch-- and we should see the holy grail of reefkeeping finally realized hopefully in 2017. Exciting times.

I too spent time with them at MACNA 2016 and heard virtually the same story. I heard the same story from them at MACNA 2015. They had the virtually the same demo or lack of at MACNA 2016 too leading be to believe that they weren't much closer. Talk is cheap. Time will tell and I will believe it when I see it but I'd be willing to bet it won't be out in the early part of 2017. From what I gathered in talking to them, they still have a long way to go. If and when it comes to market, I am sure it will be a very useful tool to many but I'm not holding my breath. Not after what I've seen and heard for the last couple years at the biggest show the industry has to offer here in the US. For a product with such promise, they should have had a much better showing and if it was so close with so many problems solved and millions at their disposal, their demos and presentation would have been much better becaue their investors would have demanded it.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I too spent time with them at MACNA 2016 and heard virtually the same story. I heard the same story from them at MACNA 2015. They had the virtually the same demo or lack of at MACNA 2016 too leading be to believe that they weren't much closer. Talk is cheap. Time will tell and I will believe it when I see it but I'd be willing to bet it won't be out in the early part of 2017. From what I gathered in talking to them, they still have a long way to go. If and when it comes to market, I am sure it will be a very useful tool to many but I'm not holding my breath. Not after what I've seen and heard for the last couple years at the biggest show the industry has to offer here in the US. For a product with such promise, they should have had a much better showing and if it was so close with so many problems solved and millions at their disposal, their demos and presentation would have been much better becaue their investors would have demanded it.
My glass is always half full!! And I really want it to succeed so I'm betting they will. Side bet?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm usually a half full kind of guy myself but not a gambler.. What's the bet and what do I win or loose? :D

Given your relative proximity, I'd think some fish tacos and cold beverages somewhere around Santa Monica would be a good start. :)

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The bet is whether Mindstream has production units in the hands of consumers before say, July, 2017? Winner get a frag of their choice from the loser's tank. I have my eye on that rainbow cyphastrea you're showing off in your build thread!

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really hoping that realtime Alk and Ca monitoring will be something more than an automated reagent testing machine (as cool as it is...) that Neptune has in the works. The last thing I need is to find a spot to keep a device like I saw displayed at MACNA, on top of reagents and a waste container etc. As exciting as the Alk monitor was for most people and hearing that Neptune secured the rights to it made most people excited for Neptunes product, I wasn't as excited. I
Just don't see this and "new technology," being that it's just an automated reagent testing unit. Don't get me wrong, it's cool and all, but Is it really that efficient? Now, hearing that a company like GHL has Alk and Ca monitoring in the works... AND the Profilux P4 has ports and software that is ready and fully compatible with the forthcoming (or as it sounds, already present in Germany) technology and hardware that will be released, THAT gets me excited. And as if today, my P4 Mega Set has been preordered.

As far as the Mindstream monitor goes... it's been this mythical device that comes and goes in the press and at conferences, but in reality, there's not a lot that shows us that this device will be something that is too much more than a prototype to show off. Along with the term "replaceable discs/wheels," leaving much to be desired IMHO. There's nothing I don't want to have to do more than buy a $30 box of wheels yo change out every month. Also, my OCD kicks into Full gear every time I see a picture of the Mindstream device and how it sits on an angle, not even when it's mounted. I hope someone else knows what I'm talking about, or maybe it's just me.

The reality is, I'd take a substantiated rumor about a future GHL product release over a working demo of a Neptune product ANY day of the week.

GHL FTW.
Nicely said, as far as I'm concerned Mindstream is vaporware. I'll put all my eggs in the GHL basket any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. If there's anyone that can do it quickly it will be GHL. That's why Neptune jumped on the wagon, that's what 35 years Corporate experience leads me to believe, IMHO. Waiting for my check to clear so I can pre-order P4 Mega set, now that excites me! :)

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bet is whether Mindstream has production units in the hands of consumers before say, July, 2017? Winner get a frag of their choice from the loser's tank. I have my eye on that rainbow cyphastrea you're showing off in your build thread!
You're on! Additional, side bet that GHL beats Mindstream to market!

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL! Love the enthusiasm Phil, but before every GHL fanboy out there thinks there's an open betting window at my house, I want to make clear that I offered the bet only to Scott. ;) I cant afford to lose too many frags!!

As for the GHL bet, I have no way of handicapping it since I don't really know the company that well. The Profilux is a very well regarded controller, but that's all I know. I'll take your word that they will bring their Alk monitoring product to market soon and hope they do! Heck, if it is both accurate and precise, I'll buy one!!

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! Love the enthusiasm Phil, but before every GHL fanboy out there thinks there's an open betting window at my house, I want to make clear that I offered the bet only to Scott. ;) I cant afford to lose too many frags!!

As for the GHL bet, I have no way of handicapping it since I don't really know the company that well. The Profilux is a very well regarded controller, but that's all I know. I'll take your word that they will bring their Alk monitoring product to market soon and hope they do! Heck, if it is both accurate and precise, I'll buy one!!
Well, thank you! :) Yes ... I knew full well it only applied to Scott. But I figured one extra side bet wouldn't hurt! LOL! Besides, it's all in the spirited wholesome fun among liked mind people. Wouldn't want you to lose too manny frags!! :)

IMHO, this is how I see things playing out FWIW ... GHL will be first out on the market with their Alkalinity & Calcium real-time probes, then Neptune will follow suit, and if mindstream gets it's act together they'll be the last ones out of the gate. FWIW :)

Again all in good fun :)

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, thank you! :) Yes ... I knew full well it only applied to Scott. But I figured one extra side bet wouldn't hurt! LOL! Besides, it's all in the spirited wholesome fun among liked mind people. Wouldn't want you to lose too manny frags!! :)

IMHO, this is how I see things playing out FWIW ... GHL will be first out on the market with their Alkalinity & Calcium real-time probes, then Neptune will follow suit, and if mindstream gets it's act together they'll be the last ones out of the gate. FWIW :)

Again all in good fun :)

You have no idea how right you are about not wanting to lose too many frags! I lost 90% of my SPS colonies to a rusting magnet a couple of months ago and I am starting again with tiny frags. I can't afford to lose ANY! :D

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no idea how right you are about not wanting to lose too many frags! I lost 90% of my SPS colonies to a rusting magnet a couple of months ago and I am starting again with tiny frags. I can't afford to lose ANY! :D
So sorry to hear that you lost a large majority of your SPS colonies, I can commiserate with your plight. I lost all my corals and fish 4 months back due to a stress crack in the lower corner of my tank. So basically I'm starting over again my tank was almost 6 years old. In all my years I've never lost an entire reef aquarium fully stock. Ironically, I was getting set to buy a larger tank to replace my 75g, things always seem to happen when I'm not home! when they do happened! So currently I'm building a cabinet for my new 120g tank. So hopefully I'll have anything complete in the next couple of weeks. The only aquarium I currently have is my 55g breeder which is home to my harem tank ... stocked with bubble tips and Gold Maroon Clownfish. So I totally understand ... I hate losing any type of livestock ... so I get it. If you're in this hobby long enough ... I guess these things happen :-(

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol
no problem ^^ but i have to say i was a bit shocked... :D

hope we get an answer

Cheers
It happens sometimes ... mean one and say another especially early in the morning when I'm not in full gear! When I saw your comment I said to myself " No I just didn't say that! (face palming myself!). Definitely, I'd rather have an answer sooner than later. :-D

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back