Project 365 - My Reef Journal - One Photograph Per Day

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is absolutely beautiful !! Really enjoying this thread and your pictures are awesome looking forward to seeing each day you post.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project 365 - January 5th, 2016
Once again, thanks to those that have viewed, liked and commented so far. 5 days in to Project 365 and I'm still motivated. I have to admit the encouraging comments help keep me rolling. To this point the hardest part of this project is only posting one photo a day. :)

Here is the 5th entry into Project 365.

For today, I'd like to post about a new photography technique that I was just introduced to called Focus Stacking. Here is the quick definition from Wikipedia.

Focus stacking is a digital image processing technique which combines multiple images taken at different focus distances to give a resulting image with a greater depth of field.

In other words, you take multiple photos of the same subject, each time you move your auto focus to a new region of the subject. Once completed, you use software, in my case Photoshop to merge the photographs, taking only the in focus region of each photograph. What you are left with is a subject with extreme detail across the entire subject rather than just a small section.

Now I've only attempted two focus stacks. What I know at this point is I have a lot to learn on refining the technique but after one go at it, here are the things that I took away from the process.

1) Shut your pumps down so the lighting stays consistent on the subject with each shot you take.
2) A tripod is a must since you need the same composition of the subject.
3) Lock the exposure settings so you are getting the same exposure with each shot

The photo merge process through Photoshop is automated, quick and easy. Google it and you will get several quick tutorials.

The image below is the result of my 2nd attempt at focus staking. This was originally shot as 5 separate images that were photomerged to give me one image with a much higher depth of focus. I'm not here to say focus stacking is better than single shots, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve with the shot. Again, I need some practice at the technique but not bad for my first attempt. Looking forward to a future attempt on some SPS!

That's it for today! 5 down 360 to go!

Project 365 - 1/5/16 - Focus Stack of Lobo Coral​

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan, jumped on the bandwagon and drooled a little. Excellent idea, fantastic photos and beautiful reef, I look forward to every update!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Project 365 - January 5th, 2016
Once again, thanks to those that have viewed, liked and commented so far. 5 days in to Project 365 and I'm still motivated. I have to admit the encouraging comments help keep me rolling. To this point the hardest part of this project is only posting one photo a day. :)

Here is the 5th entry into Project 365.

For today, I'd like to post about a new photography technique that I was just introduced to called Focus Stacking. Here is the quick definition from Wikipedia.

Focus stacking is a digital image processing technique which combines multiple images taken at different focus distances to give a resulting image with a greater depth of field.

In other words, you take multiple photos of the same subject, each time you move your auto focus to a new region of the subject. Once completed, you use software, in my case Photoshop to merge the photographs, taking only the in focus region of each photograph. What you are left with is a subject with extreme detail across the entire subject rather than just a small section.

Now I've only attempted two focus stacks. What I know at this point is I have a lot to learn on refining the technique but after one go at it, here are the things that I took away from the process.

1) Shut your pumps down so the lighting stays consistent on the subject with each shot you take.
2) A tripod is a must since you need the same composition of the subject.
3) Lock the exposure settings so you are getting the same exposure with each shot

The photo merge process through Photoshop is automated, quick and easy. Google it and you will get several quick tutorials.

The image below is the result of my 2nd attempt at focus staking. This was originally shot as 5 separate images that were photomerged to give me one image with a much higher depth of focus. I'm not here to say focus stacking is better than single shots, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve with the shot. Again, I need some practice at the technique but not bad for my first attempt. Looking forward to a future attempt on some SPS!

That's it for today! 5 down 360 to go!

Project 365 - 1/5/16 - Focus Stack of Lobo Coral​

Good info and awesome photo! Keep it up!

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic! I've attempted 365 photo projects in the past and always lost interest halfway through, if not sooner. Never thought to focus on just my tank, though - that sounds far more fun! Looking forward to seeing this thread progress.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is absolutely Beautiful!!! I will be following along!

drstratton - Thanks for the kind words and following along. Much appreciated.

Your tank is absolutely beautiful !! Really enjoying this thread and your pictures are awesome looking forward to seeing each day you post.

Chrisfish - Much like the poster above, I really appreciate your kind words and checking in.

I'm a fan, jumped on the bandwagon and drooled a little. Excellent idea, fantastic photos and beautiful reef, I look forward to every update!

Reeflogic - Thank you so much.

Good info and awesome photo! Keep it up!

Thank you sir!

Fantastic! I've attempted 365 photo projects in the past and always lost interest halfway through, if not sooner. Never thought to focus on just my tank, though - that sounds far more fun! Looking forward to seeing this thread progress.

Flashy Fins - Thanks for the view and comment. I hope to be able to stay motivated. As mentioned in an earlier post, this will be a true test for me.

Well done, perfect idea, subscribed.

Sps Dream - Thank you for the view and subscription. I hope I don't disappoint.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics! Gorgeous tank and fun idea. I'll be watching:)

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project 365 - January 6th, 2016
Here is the 6th entry into Project 365

Once again, thank you to all those who have viewed, commented and liked my journal. I really started this project for myself without thinking about the positive comments that might come with the posts. As the comments have come in, it has not just motivated me on the photography but in my reef as well. For that I thank you.

I'm just letting the inhabitants guide me into what to post next. When I had the camera out, my Geometric Pygmy Hawk graced me with his presence. For those of you that have or have had this fish, you know what I'm talking about. These are the type of fish that you might see once a day. I think that attribute about them is one of the reasons why I like this guy so much. There is just something about their secretive nature that I'm drawn to. Not all of my fish have names but this guys has one. The wife named him Waldo, he's red and white and hard to find. Where is Waldo?

Project 365 - 1/6/16 - Geometric Pygmy Hawk​

Thanks for looking.

That's it for today! 6 down 359 to go!

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Waldo! Reminds me of when my kids were little! Great picture!

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job on this thread so far. I once tried to take on the Image 365 challenge myself, but I didn't last past 13 days. So selfishly I'm hoping you accomplish it since that means I'll get to see all your pretty pictures and descriptions. :)

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with everyone your tanks amazing and your photography skills are beautiful. Little late joining the party but definitely following from now on. Keep the tips and shots coming.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job on this thread so far. I once tried to take on the Image 365 challenge myself, but I didn't last past 13 days. So selfishly I'm hoping you accomplish it since that means I'll get to see all your pretty pictures and descriptions. :)

Melev - 13 days aint bad. That's 6 more days than where I'm at now. :) Hoping I can stay focused! Thanks for the nice words on the photography.

Totally agree with everyone your tanks amazing and your photography skills are beautiful. Little late joining the party but definitely following from now on. Keep the tips and shots coming.

steve&mari - You are not late at all, I'm only 7 days in with 300+ more to go. Thanks for the encouragement and for tuning in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project 365 - January 7th, 2016
Here is the 7th entry into Project 365

I'm posting this photo tonight in hopes of showing some of the diversity in the aquarium. In this shot you can see acropora, montipora, seriatopora, LPS and even a gorgonian.. I'm an SPS guy at heart but I can't help adding LPS or softies in little nooks and crannies where I can't get SPS to take off. Couple that with my inability to get rid of corals I purchased way back when and I have a pretty mixed reef.

The dominating corals in this shot are the ORA Green Slimer and the Strawberry Fields tabling acro. For a reference point, the Green Slimer is ~14" tall and the Strawberry Fields is ~12" across. That may help with the scale of the photo a bit. This picture was taken late in the light cycle after the T5's were off for the night. This is an LED only shot, a bit dark but I thought it had some nice contrast to it.

Project 365 - 1/7/16 - Strawberry Fields Acro with ORA Green Slimer
Thanks for looking.

7 down 358 to go!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back