Project 365 - My Reef Journal - One Photograph Per Day

Frankyrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant along not alone lol. Do you use any special colored screw on filters or gels to offset blue LED light or just simply post process adjusting white balance. Are all your images shot raw or as high res jpegs.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you've kept pictures coming they are great. I love the use of the bokeh with the anthia beautifully captured the eye details as focal point. I can't wait to get a macro lens to really learn to use ours for tight coral shots. Already have the avast marine porthole to use. Slowly putting a budget dslr package together lol. You're pictures are inspiring to reach the skill to capture shots as you have.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging alone. Would you share settings alone with the pics
I meant along not alone lol. Do you use any special colored screw on filters or gels to offset blue LED light or just simply post process adjusting white balance. Are all your images shot raw or as high res jpegs.

Frankyrivera - Thanks for tagging along. Here are the camera settings on that basslet photo. 1/40th sec at f2.8 with ISO 400. That photo was taken very late in my light cycle with very little light left in the tank. I will try to keep up with posting the camera settings going forward.
Frankyrivera - I don't use any filters or gels. I shoot in RAW and adjust my WB in Photoshop. I've found that I can simply set my WB in Photoshop to 18-20K and I get the WB that matches how I see the tank.

I'm glad you've kept pictures coming they are great. I love the use of the bokeh with the anthia beautifully captured the eye details as focal point. I can't wait to get a macro lens to really learn to use ours for tight coral shots. Already have the avast marine porthole to use. Slowly putting a budget dslr package together lol. You're pictures are inspiring to reach the skill to capture shots as you have.

steve&mari - Thanks for checking back in on the thread. It's been a fun 12 days so far. I just got my first macro lens at xmas and I'm loving it. The lens also works great as a portrait lens and shooting longer shots as well. If you don't want to spend the cash on a macro yet, you could always get some extension tubes. I bought a set of 3 ten years ago and used them right up until I got the macro lens. The extension tubes allow you to convert any lens into a macro for about $100. You lose a lot of light through the tubes but you can still take good macros on a budget.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bac magnifique !
Photos sublîmes grand merci à vous ! ;)

Labagatelle - I had to translate your post with Google and it came back with:
"Beautiful tray! Photos sublime big thank you !"

I'm not sure the translation was great but either way, thank you for taking the time to view and post here on my journal.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great project and since I am moving into salt a great project to me to look at and of course be jealous of. I think you have great support here to keep on going

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project 365 - January 13th, 2016
Here is the 13th entry into Project 365

This is a photo of my Oregon Tort. This was the first coral that I every purchased online and it's really stood the test of time. When I moved my corals from my old 110g to the new 250g, I lost a lot of acros in the move. After a couple months of battling coral loss, I finally added an MP60 to the end of my aquarium and the corals started to take off again. I was very fortunate that of all my losses, the Oregon Tort was not one of them. This coral was a centerpiece in my 110g and is once again a centerpiece in my 250g. Anytime I have frags to offload, they go very quickly in our local reefing community.

You may recognize this coral from my second entry into Project 365 which had the little Yellow Clown Goby perched in this coral. You can also see a full frame shot of this coral in the 11th entry into the journal. I hope you enjoy the simple beauty of this coral.

One side note on this shot, the background illustrates one of the downfalls I mentioned of having a peninsula style tank. In order to get this shot, I had to also capture light coming in from your glass doors. I would much prefer if that distracting light was not present.

Thanks for looking
13 down 352 to go!

Project 365 - 1/13/16 - Oregon Tort​

Frankyrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Oregon one of my favorites deep deep blue. Try some felt or black fabric with suction cups and stick in on the glass to remove light glare or distractions

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project 365 - January 13th, 2016
Here is the 13th entry into Project 365

This is a photo of my Oregon Tort. This was the first coral that I every purchased online and it's really stood the test of time. When I moved my corals from my old 110g to the new 250g, I lost a lot of acros in the move. After a couple months of battling coral loss, I finally added an MP60 to the end of my aquarium and the corals started to take off again. I was very fortunate that of all my losses, the Oregon Tort was not one of them. This coral was a centerpiece in my 110g and is once again a centerpiece in my 250g. Anytime I have frags to offload, they go very quickly in our local reefing community.

You may recognize this coral from my second entry into Project 365 which had the little Yellow Clown Goby perched in this coral. You can also see a full frame shot of this coral in the 11th entry into the journal. I hope you enjoy the simple beauty of this coral.

One side note on this shot, the background illustrates one of the downfalls I mentioned of having a peninsula style tank. In order to get this shot, I had to also capture light coming in from your glass doors. I would much prefer if that distracting light was not present.

Thanks for looking
13 down 352 to go!

Project 365 - 1/13/16 - Oregon Tort​
Another beautiful picture! I love the color!

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. What I aspire to...

Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Oregon one of my favorites deep deep blue. Try some felt or black fabric with suction cups and stick in on the glass to remove light glare or distractions

Frankyrivera - Thanks for the tip with the felt. I've propped poster board up but I really like the felt idea.

Another beautiful picture! I love the color!

drstratton - thank you so much. Really appreciate your ongoing views and comments.

Following. What I aspire to...

Thanks for sharing.

CastAway - that's a very nice compliment. Thanks for looking and commenting.

What a great project and since I am moving into salt a great project to me to look at and of course be jealous of. I think you have great support here to keep on going

Bob Escher - thanks for the kind words and following along. This has been a great project. It's been easy for 13 days. We will see how I hold up after 100 or so.

Frankyrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome can't wait to see more pics from you. Soon I will start a thread when I transfer my 75 gal over to the 180. I'll pm you on a pack when the tank is up and running which would probably be when you're on pic # 75 lol

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project 365 - January 14th, 2016
Here is the 14th entry into Project 365

When I look at this photo, I'm reminded why I bought this coral long before I knew how invasive they are. When I transferred corals from my 110g to my 250g, I thought I had gotten rid of all the rock that had this coral attached. Apparently, there were some polyps hiding deep into my rock that made it possible to transfer to the new tank. I find myself trying to corral this coral by shading or cutting it away but despite my best efforts, the coral lives on. On the bright side, I can typically, cut some free of the rock work and trade a LFS for frozen food.

Thanks for looking
14 down 351 to go!

Project 365 - 1/14/16 - Clove Polyps - A beautiful mistake

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome can't wait to see more pics from you. Soon I will start a thread when I transfer my 75 gal over to the 180. I'll pm you on a pack when the tank is up and running which would probably be when you're on pic # 75 lol

Frankyrivera - Thanks again for the views and comments. Good luck with your new build.

Projet 365-13 Janvier 2016 = :) ;-) Very gorgeous :)

Labagatelle - :) Thanks so much!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love it!

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project 365 - January 15th, 2016
Here is the 15th entry into Project 365

I got my first reminder today from a member asking for today's photo. I'm sure as the year goes on, I'm going to need more and more help to remember. With that said, half a month down and still going strong. Once again, I appreciate the views comments and posts that have been provided.

Today's photo is of one of my most prized fish, the Copper Banded Butterfly. This guy was my 3rd attempt at keeping this fish with the other two never getting past QT. The first two attempts were healthy coming in but I could never get them to eat. This fish was eating mysis out of the water column at the LFS so I thought I would give it one more try. I've had this fish in the display for 8 weeks now after spending 8 weeks in QT. He eats live black worms from a home made feeding station which is kind of a hassle but I just love the fish and he's worth the extra effort. So far so good in terms of coral nipping.

Thanks for looking
15 down 350 to go!

Project 365 - 1/15/16 - Copper Banded Butterfly​

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back