Project 365 - My Reef Journal - One Photograph Per Day

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thle009 - thanks for your kind words. I have the Canon 70d. Most of my photos are taken with the Canon 100mm L series macro lens. The lens is of equal or more importance than the camera body. My lighting is about 18k so when I process my photos in photo shop, I just set the white balance to 18k and I get pretty good results.

drstratton - I loved reading that you were looking forward to my new post. That is awesome. I've actually used some pieces of painted wood as backgrounds for photography. This helps for sure. It does not help for daily viewing of the tank which I think is improved with a background.
I agree with drstratton, I have been looking for new post from you and so happy to see them, they are beautiful!!! Can't wait wait for new ones, I must admit they take my breath away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now who would be that inpatient to rush you lol. Great pics as always

Frankyrivera - I really appreciate you looking out for me. I had not forgot about posting today, but there will be a day in the future that this kind of prompt will be needed. Thanks for looking.

I agree with drstratton, I have been looking for new post from you and so happy to see them, they are beautiful!!! Can't wait wait for new ones, I must admit they take my breath away.

Chrisfish - That really makes me feel good to read that. Thanks so much for taking the time to view and comment.

I could use that picture as my desktop background, simply beautiful!

Brian Kim - Thanks so much. Would be happy to send you a high res version in email if you every wanted it for your background.

Frankyrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So few questions. Are you shooting tripod mounted or free hand. Are your pumps off i.e. Return power heads etc. are you lights mostly white when shooting do you ever use a strobe or flash hot shoe mounted or external. If external are they side firing top firing or head on. Ever use any reflectors. Do you use a remote shutter release or timer.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project 365 - January 16th, 2016
Here is the 16th entry into Project 365

When I setup my first reef this coral use to go for $40 a polyp. I remember wanting to get my hands on these but just could never pull the trigger. By the time I finally bought them the price was down to something that was at least reasonable. From the point forward, the Nuclear Green Paly's have always been a coral that I loved and that's saying something for me because I'm not even a zoa/paly guy.

Here is a shot of the mini colony that I have of this coral. I tried to set the aperature on the camera such that I could get a single polyp really sharp while the others would fade in/out. I'm pretty happy with the result here.

Thanks for looking
16 down 349 to go!

Project 365 - 1/16/16 - Nuclear Green Palys​

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So few questions. Are you shooting tripod mounted or free hand. Are your pumps off i.e. Return power heads etc. are you lights mostly white when shooting do you ever use a strobe or flash hot shoe mounted or external. If external are they side firing top firing or head on. Ever use any reflectors. Do you use a remote shutter release or timer.

Most of the shots I've posted up to this point were hand held. The lobo photo stack was certainly on a tripod. Most of the time I leave my pumps on. From time to time, I will put the tank in feed mode which shuts everything down except for my return pump. No flash for my reef photos but I use an external flash for other pics.

This would've been a good one to photo stack

You are so right. Thanks for the idea. I've got a long year ahead of me. I can certainly get a stack in.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed.
Excellent initiative that I need to take on one day to revive the dedication of taking pics or updating threads on daily basis which the fish of life has taken away from lately.
Amazing tank and photography.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed.
Excellent initiative that I need to take on one day to revive the dedication of taking pics or updating threads on daily basis which the fish of life has taken away from lately.
Amazing tank and photography.

Maroon.c - thanks for your kind words. I've been guilty of long breaks between posting which is one of the reasons I challenged myself with Project 365

I would love to do this but I don't think I have 365 items to photograph lol

Frankyrivera - I think you might be surprised when you start consider your entire setup. I'm also quite certain you will see some duplicate subjects but photographed differently.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project 365 - January 17th, 2016
Here is the 17th entry into Project 365

It's been a few days since I posted an SPS photo so I figured it was time. This is a Myagi Tort that I purchased from a local reefer (Thanks Zibba). Started out as very small frag and it's growing pretty quick for me. I'm hoping that this coral will continue to grow and give me a nice table that is front and center in my aquarium. I love that this coral tables and grows low in the aquarium. Finding acros that are happy along the bottom have been a difficult task for me.

Thanks for looking
17 down 348 to go!

Project 365 - 1/17/16 - Myagi Tort​

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the year you should turn all this photos into a coffee table book I know I would buy one [emoji106]

Usernam invalid - I like that idea. I'm already planning to do a photo roll up at the end of each month. This could lead to if nothing else a calendar.

+1 would make a very nice photo album.

I will have to figure out some clever way to roll the entire year up. That is if I can make it that long. [emoji3]

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it! I know I'll keep looking! I might not always post something, but I will like every picture!!!:)
Totally with you there I always check in maybe a few days with life happening but always come back and check for more. I can't wait to see the end of month roll you're doing. Keep up the beautiful pictures and inspiring us that have been following along with you in this journey.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice Tort!

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project 365 - January 18th, 2016
Here is the 18th entry into Project 365

Like the monti caps, I think the digitas are an underrated coral. I really like the digitatas for many reasons. A couple that come to mind are that they are easy to care for in relation to acropora and they can be mounted low in the aquarium which leaves the prime real estate up high for light hungry corals. I also really like the growth forms on the digitatas. I currently have ORA Peach Digitata, ORA German Blue Digita and of course the Forest Fire pictured below. While the Forest Fire is my favorite for the coloration, the German Blue's growth form can't be beat. They grow into small bonzai shaped trees. One other benefit of the digitatas is the grow fast which makes them great for trading at the LFS or with local reefers.

Thanks for looking
18 down 347 to go!

Project 365 - 1/18/16 - Forest Fire Digitata​

Back