Project 365 - My Reef Journal - One Photograph Per Day

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's true....many of these prints would be fantastic in a calendar, framed posters, coffee table book, etc... I for one would buy several oversized prints to frame and coffee table book

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Green Efflo

Project 365 - September 4th, 2016

Some times you take photos of what corals have become and other times you take photos so you can see what they use to be :) Today's post is definitely the later. This is a coral that belongs to our local Coral Farming group but lives in my tank. :) I've mentioned this before but we have a group called PROP which consists of about 10 local reefers that grow corals, those corals are then sold at an auction and the proceeds go to buying more coral. The objective is to use PROP money to buy expensive frags that we'd not buy on our own and then help reduce the cost as we sell to local reefers.

I originally mounted this coral only to have it magically disappear the next day. I looked for it on the sandbed and urchin but could not find it. I had long written it off when it showed up more than a month later attached to my urchin. The best I can guess, it was under some rocks and the urchin managed to extract it for me :) Nice of him, as I'm sure he's the reason it went missing in the first place. Long story short, I remounted it about 4 weeks ago and it's encrusting and starting to color back up. I'm hopeful this takes on the true efflo growth pattern.

Thanks for looking
247 down 118 to go!

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. :)
... and kind of spooky, I bought my first blastos yesterday and I've got or tried most lps. ;)

najer - That is ironic timing on my post. Good luck with the Blastos. IMO, they don't need a lot of light.

Your tank design is amazing as is the entire area around the tank...love the whole style of your room...who is the interior designer?
This would make a incredible poster/framed print....have you thought about selling your photos? I'm in line if you do:)

Lilly45nano - Thanks for the kind words. The interior designer is a combination of my wife and I. My wife loves her house and decor is very import to her. You can imagine the sales job I had to do with her when I suggested we replace our dining room table with a new reef tank. I was able to do some sketches so that she could see the vision I had for the project. We are both very happy with the end result and it's become much more than just a tank. It's really a focal point for our house.

I know. I mentioned of a calendar print.

Thele09 - I'm planning a calendar at the very least. Also thinking about a larger prints of the recaps. We will see. :)

It's true....many of these prints would be fantastic in a calendar, framed posters, coffee table book, etc... I for one would buy several oversized prints to frame and coffee table book

gettaReef - I'll hold you to it. :)

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

September FTS

Project 365 - September 5th, 2016
Here is my most recent FTS taken from the hallway side of the aquarium. If forced to declare front or back of the aquarium, I call this the back. The previous FTS that I posted on 8/30 was of the opposite side or what I refer to as the front.

I really like this shot because you can get a sense for the size of some of my corals. Starting left to right, you can see purple and green caps, bird of paradise, slimer, hawkins, strawberry fields, humilis, pearl berry, SSC, blue millie, tazardi...

Thanks for looking
248 down 117 to go!

JohnnyCheats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Starry Blenny

Project 365 - July 23rd, 2016
I'm really excited to share this new photo of my Starry Blenny. I absolutely love how this photo turned out. The glow from behind the fish is the sunlight coming in our sliding glass doors late in the afternoon. I'm happy with the details in the fish and how the sun is reflecting off of the eyelashes. This may be my favorite photo taken this year. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Thanks for looking
203 down 162 to go!

Purchased a Starry Blenny because of your amazing pics!!! We had a lawnmower blenny years ago and the new guys personality reminds me a lot of him. It's so neat how they adjust their colors with the different lighting and rock work.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a Starry Blenny because of your amazing pics!!! We had a lawnmower blenny years ago and the new guys personality reminds me a lot of him. It's so neat how they adjust their colors with the different lighting and rock work.

That is so awesome. I think everyone should have a Starry Blenny. They are that cool. Enjoy it JohnnyCheats

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those blennies, specially when he sits at a ledge starring at me... :)
With these pics it's even better. Someday will get a decent camera to capture the detail of my aquarium. Your pics are simply amazing!!!

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of your help! I've enjoyed going through your build thread. Great tank. I'll have to check out that barnwood place in Phoenix since my wife wants me to do a wall like that and it's close enough. I have all the tools to mill down my own wood but it's so popular right now it's hard to find. I like the beam you used to hang the light from.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

September FTS

Project 365 - September 5th, 2016
Here is my most recent FTS taken from the hallway side of the aquarium. If forced to declare front or back of the aquarium, I call this the back. The previous FTS that I posted on 8/30 was of the opposite side or what I refer to as the front.

I really like this shot because you can get a sense for the size of some of my corals. Starting left to right, you can see purple and green caps, bird of paradise, slimer, hawkins, strawberry fields, humilis, pearl berry, SSC, blue millie, tazardi...

Thanks for looking
248 down 117 to go!

I like this shot!

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Strawberry Fields

Project 365 - September 6th, 2016
Tonight's photo is a cool shot that I got with an LED color combo that I never use. I cranked up the red which I've never ran in my lighting scheme and noticed that it really made the strawberry fields pop. Here is the result.

Thanks for looking
249 down 116 to go!

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coral Collage

Project 365 - September 7th, 2016
I have a few corals in the tank that are tucked away and hard to photograph, the Rocky Mountain Corals Skull Cracker is one of those. I was able to snap this shot tonight through a very tight window. It make for a pretty cool shot with several corals visible and the single chromis peaking up. I love to have coral tucked in and around the tank, it helps to create interest in spots where they may not be any without them.

Thanks for looking
250 down 115 to go!

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coral Collage

Project 365 - September 7th, 2016
I have a few corals in the tank that are tucked away and hard to photograph, the Rocky Mountain Corals Skull Cracker is one of those. I was able to snap this shot tonight through a very tight window. It make for a pretty cool shot with several corals visible and the single chromis peaking up. I love to have coral tucked in and around the tank, it helps to create interest in spots where they may not be any without them.

Thanks for looking
250 down 115 to go!

Gorgeous as usual - its great having those little nuggets of hidden goodness that arent always out in the main focus. You miss them on the regular tank look over and when you catch them again, its a delight to see how they've changed.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is mindblowing. Amazing set up and your livestock rocks. Did you add the butterfly before the tangs to avoid aggression? I want to add one to my system but know they can be hit or miss amd would like to increase his chances of survival

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful!

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ORA German Blue Digitata

Project 365 - September 3rd, 2016
I've had a couple people ask about photos of the German Blue Digi but it's a difficult coral to photograph. The coral doesn't have much contrast between the skin and the polyps which makes it tough to get a great shot of it. The location of the coral is tucked away as well making it difficult to photograph. Needless to say, here is a shot that I was able to get today. This is a super easy coral to keep for those that want to get started in SPS. I do find that it needs a bit more light than the ORA Peach and Forest Fire Digitatas.

Thanks for looking
246 down 119 to go!
Yeah! It's so pretty! Thanks for posting it!

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WWC Red Gonipora

Project 365 - September 8th, 2016
It's difficult to see in this photo but the polyps on this coral have some blue highlights in them. I've mentioned it more than once in the the last 250 days but I'm not real great with LPS so I'm pretty proud of this coral. I first bought it as 3 little polyps that were about the size of a pencil eraser. Other than being a bit aggressive, this has been a great addition to the tank.

Thanks for looking
251 down 114 to go!

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 Months of Reefing
Project 365 - September 1st, 2016
It's September! For us that live in Arizona that has a greater meaning than many other places in the country. It means that our highs will still be in the 100s but we will get morning and evenings in the 70s, something we have not had for since early June. With any luck, the 100s will go away quickly and we can all remember why we live here.

For today's post, I wanted to get a recap of the project up to this point. The photos in this post are all inclusive of Project 365 from January 1st to today. It's when I see these recaps come together when I'm really glad I've kept the project going.

Thanks for looking
244 down 121 to go!

I love the recaps as always really cool

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back