Promoting algae growth

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my cycle is finished, yet I am considering getting past the 'ugly' phase before introducing fish? has anyone done this, I have left lights off for last month, I'm considering turning them on for a month to promote algae growth to combat it whilst my tank is empty

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my cycle is finished, yet I am considering getting past the 'ugly' phase before introducing fish? has anyone done this, I have left lights off for last month, I'm considering turning them on for a month to promote algae growth to combat it whilst my tank is empty

Interesting idea. When my cycle finished I added two clowns a week later, still hadn't turned the lights on, and then a week after that started the lights at 3 hours per day and increased it by 1 hour per day. This is mainly because I wanted to add corals. My ugly phase started a couple of weeks after I added the corals, so the lights had been fully on for 2 weeks.
The uglies did nothing to hurt the fish but the diatoms did put a beating on my new coral frags. They have all recovered though so no longterm damage.

I'm not sure you can really 'wait out' the uglies so I'd introduce a couple of fish and let them give you enjoyment when everything else turns a godawful brown LOL

OP
OP
Rick's Reviews

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll understand mate, if you stick this hobby for long enough. I will never forget the bloke that told me I looked at at the toilet paper after wiping my butt. I did it, but it never registered.
Ok.. clearasea automatic 3Clarisea SK-3000 Automatic,. Maybe use it on your mouth ... Mate?

OP
OP
Rick's Reviews

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are bored or heard enough of this then maybe quit the forum, negative people like you just frustate all.
As far as I am concerned forums and people are like an aquarium cycle.. you need good people to run the aquarium and we need to get rid of bad people

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are bored or heard enough of this then maybe quit the forum, negative people like you just frustate all.
As far as I am concerned forums and people are like an aquarium cycle.. you need good people to run the aquarium and we need to get rid of bad people
Wait, wait, I don’t think that was @Garf’s intention. I really think they were joking and maybe it didn’t come out right. They actually helped me out quite a bit with some of my issues a while back.

Anyway, I think all they were saying was that the bacteria that naturally live on corals, as well as the coralline that usually grows on their plugs, is a great addition to a tank when the tank has matured enough to support coral life. Adding fish helps to mature a tank because they add to the bioload, which further helps the bacterial colonies grow, which then helps to keep a stable tank, and on and on.

I don’t think anything was said out of ugliness, though ;)

OP
OP
Rick's Reviews

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, wait, I don’t think that was @Garf’s intention. I really think they were joking and maybe it didn’t come out right. They actually helped me out quite a bit with some of my issues a while back.

Anyway, I think all they were saying was that the bacteria that naturally live on corals, as well as the coralline that usually grows on their plugs, is a great addition to a tank when the tank has matured enough to support coral life. Adding fish helps to mature a tank because they add to the bioload, which further helps the bacterial colonies grow, which then helps to keep a stable tank, and on and on.

I don’t think anything was said out of ugliness, though ;)
Ok? I guess I misunderstood so back to my original/ main post about ' growing algae'... Or is my introduction confusing? As I am

Back