Promoting bio-diversity - live rock in filter?

carnthetiges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of trying to stamp out some dinos.
Among other things i'm looking to bump up the bio-diversity in the system (15g AIO).

My question is wether adding live rock to my AIO's filter is worthwhile (no space in the display)?
My worry is the amount of light that would penetrate to the bottom of the filter area - would the reduced amount of light (thanks to egg crates, filter floss etc) negatively impact on the rock or am i over thinking it?

Cheers

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of trying to stamp out some dinos.
Among other things i'm looking to bump up the bio-diversity in the system (15g AIO).

My question is wether adding live rock to my AIO's filter is worthwhile (no space in the display)?
My worry is the amount of light that would penetrate to the bottom of the filter area - would the reduced amount of light (thanks to egg crates, filter floss etc) negatively impact on the rock or am i over thinking it?

Cheers
Difficult call to make, whether adding live rock will have a noticeable positive effect on the biodiversity AND any effect on nuisance organisms.

Everything you add to the aquarium brings its own collection of hitchhiking microorganisms. A live rock is no different. The question is can late arriving organisms influence the systems established biofilm. I tend to think it is possible but maybe not or not so easily or not so quickly.

As for illuminating the live rock, I am not sure that matters for what you are trying to achieve. Poor circulation of water around the rock might be a more important consideration.

Back