OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish are able to be medicated 24/7 in qt idk understand how with products like general cure you don’t just mix and serve? I mean if the dose is too high the fish will just pass it through it’s system as if it were consuming continuous amounts. GC doesn’t have levels of prazi or metro to be problematic unless it’s all put into one feeding
I’m not exactly sure what you are saying here. An overdose condition doesn’t just “pass through its system”. GC can certainly be overdosed, either in the water or in the food.

Jay

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not exactly sure what you are saying here. An overdose condition doesn’t just “pass through its system”. GC can certainly be overdosed, either in the water or in the food.

Jay
Whats the dosage to where OD takes place? Also how many grams of food should 1 packet 320mg I think treat? I know from working for a vet during my college days that these types of meds have a pretty large acceptable range from efficiency to toxicity. Do you know what that is with GC?

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the dosage to where OD takes place? Also how many grams of food should 1 packet 320mg I think treat? I know from working for a vet during my college days that these types of meds have a pretty large acceptable range from efficiency to toxicity. Do you know what that is with GC?
There isnt an answer to that question - there is a proper dose for both of those drugs. Do you mean the LD50 for the drugs or the LD100? The proper dose would be a LD0, and that’s what you need to use. Metronidazole is so bitter that fish won’t eat food treated with it above about 5000 ppm. Praziquantel shows nervous system reactions at about double the normal dose of 40 mg/kg of fish mass. Because those two drugs are dosed differently, that is why you CANNOT dose it properly in food when they are mixed in a single powder.
Jay

Jay

Sarcasm Included

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write-up it was a good read (and your other work here).
I like your gelatin medium for feeding. I don't recommend medicated flakes since flake food is such a horrible medium. Unless the fish snaps up the food immediately the flake begins breaking down releasing the medicine into the water column.

Back