Proper Fish Nutrition: How important and how to accomplish it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's discuss proper fish nutrition, how important it is and how we can accomplish it.

I believe a lot of issues that we have concerning fish health relates back to one thing proper nutrition. A well fed fish is a healthy fish and we're not just talking about a fat fish here. Just like in our own diets the same holds true to our beloved fishy friends. What you eat effects you and what you feed your fish effects them either positively or negatively.

Nowadays there are many types of foods that we can offer in many variety of ways. Just because they are made for fish doesn't make them good for our fish as well as the fact that a variety of fish will do better on a variety of different types of food.

Supplements and Foods. What do you do, why, and what results have you seen?

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do the best I can. Lots of variety. I also very much pay attention to the weight of the more gluttonous feeders while trying to keep more finicky feeders full.

I feed:

Dry:
NLS pellets
Red Sea pellets (discontinued)
ON pellets
HBH Spirulina pellets
ZooMed spirulina flakes
Salifert pellets (yet to try them though)

Frozen:
PE mysis
Hikari mysis
Hikari plankton
Sallies? plankton
cyclopeeze
Nutramar Ova
venus clams
diver scallops
bay scallops
various shrimps/prawns
green mussels
ON frozen formulas

Supplements:
Vitachem
selcon

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing to consider is that all foods are NOT created equal and you shouldn't trust the label on a product as being the truth.

For continued health it is a good idea to research what your particular fish eat in the wild.

Is the fish a Carnivore, Omnivore, or Herbivore?

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm going to have to trust the label ingredients.

As for what they eat in the wild, eh, that's debatable, and will be fish specific, IMO. People keep large angels alive for YEARS without a bit of sponge in their captive diet, while wild adults eat almost nothing but.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well what I am saying is that you should check the ingredients on the label as well as any other research you can do. Don't just trust the title! :D

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, oh, I gotcha now... I thought you were suggesting I send it out for chemical analysis at an independent laboratory!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for more input! :)

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think cleaners are very important to health. I noticed while doing some night scaping the next day one of my chromis was bad hurt both sides shredded and red I figured I musta squished him while moving rocks while they was sleeping. Since then that chromis has been using my skunk shrimp a lot and is now 95% recovered. I think a lot of my fishes health comes from have skunk shrimp and neon goby. I have seen all my fish using one or the other including clownfish anthias watchman goby wrasses. I know this isn't nutrition but I believe its relative health and nutrition.
Oh yea I use omega one flake and pellets with garlic, cyclopeeze and mixed frozen foods from ocean nutrition and I forget other brand name but all the lfs carry it. Something bay I think lol

Last edited:

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed pellets in the morning and Rod's Rod food with a squirt of Arctic Pods in the evening.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back