Proper Times and Techniques for Replacing your T5 Bulbs

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by ATI North America, Feb 16, 2015.

1. buzzword

buzzword Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

Lilbuddha thanks man.

2. LILBUDDHA

LILBUDDHA Valuable Member

NP ...U also want to see the vent holes on the left / corded side. If u don't see them ,slide the reflectors to the right so the air flows correctly . Half moon shape or 50% is fine .

3. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I posted this in the other thread, but here it is again so no one has to search for it. This is a Sunpower
    label side.JPG
    exhaust vent.JPG

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  4. ATI North America

This info would be correct for Powermodule fixtures, as the Sunpower reflectors are in a fixed position.

5. gdemos

gdemos Active Member

What is the risk of dimming right away with new bulb? Why 50 hours of run time? If doing 8 new bulbs 1 per week with 8 hour runtime that's 9 or 10 weeks roughly with no dimming total.

6. ATI North America

gdemos dimming the bulb right away will reduce the usable lifespan of the bulb. The burn in period allows the phosphors and mercury to properly distribute throughout the whole tube. Dimming the lamp prematurely can disrupt this process. It sounds like your best solution would be to replace all the lamps and raise the fixture during the burn in period.

7. gdemos

gdemos Active Member

Makes sense thanks.

8. gdemos

gdemos Active Member

All new ATI BULBs this weekend and something is not right. I really don't think this is a burn in related issue. This is 8x54 dimmable sunpower
    For burn in I raised light and run at 100% 7 hours both channels
    Channel 1 is bulb #3 & #6 where I have a B+ and ACtinic
    Channel 1 is way brighter than ch2 for some reason. I mean super bright like somehow this channel is overpowered (or channel 2 is underpowered. )

I've run this fixture for approx 3 years and never had this issue
    I recently replaced a ballast but that controlled bulb 4,5 I believe.
    I have an ATI 6x24 on frag tank for comparison the brightness is different

Is there a factory setting adjustment or something causing this?

The tank looks crappy with this super bright channel

I feel that Ch 1 is somehow overdriven and 2 is underpowered

9. ATI North America

Hi gdemos!

My apologies for the issue with your Dimmable SunPower fixture.

Please contact us at customercare@atinorthamerica.com or 303-459-2119 and one of our technicians will be happy to you figure out what is going on.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  10. ATI North America

Double post

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  11. si reef

si reef Member

ATI burn in time

What could I expect the life span of a T5 bulb that was not burned in and was dimmed from day one, running 10 hours per day.
    I failed to do this and after 4 month I am having a Cyano outbreak. This could also be due to a Carbon overdose.

12. ATI North America

I don't have a good number to throw out at you for what to expect for life span, this would be better checked with a PAR meter. It is not likely however to be the cause of your cyano, even without a proper burn in I don't believe your lamps would have diminished to the point of causing cyano. Sorry I don't have more concrete information, but carbon overdose, high nutrients or lack of flow would be far more likely causes of your cyano.

Cheers

flexiblewater likes this.
  13. Sahin

Sahin Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I would put my money on the Carbon overdose. I just finished battling a Cyano outbreak in my tank. At first I ran GFO and GAC quite strong, but it wasnt going away, so in order not to hurt my SPS, I just pulled the GFO/GAC cold! After a few weeks the Cyano is only about 5% remaining. I just let the tanks filtration naturally deal with it.

Cyano exits in our tanks all the time. It rears its ugly head when there is a bacterial imbalance. I'd siphon out whatever you can during water changes, and as long as it doesnt start to affect your corals, let the Cyano die off naturally.

14. Myka

Myka Valuable Member

FWIW, I have a dimmable SunPower and I deal with the burn in time by running the bulbs in a different fixture away from the tank. I have an old Hagen Glo 2x39W fixture that I put the two new bulbs into and run them for 50 hours straight with a room fan blowing on them. I just put the fixture in a back room where it won't annoy me to be on all night. After this I let them cool and transfer them into the ATI fixture. I usually buy bulbs in bulk when there's a sale, and then I'll pre-burn them all and put them back into their packages so they're ready for future use. It seems to be a good solution.

15. MJC

MJC Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I have the ATI T5 hybrid fixture and it's time to change some bulbs.
    I have a two bulb T5 light from Home Depot is it ok to use this to burn in bulbs and then place in main unit?

Thanks

16. Vaughn17

Vaughn17 Well-Known Member

I was unaware of the burn in period and didn't do it. My bulbs are now three months old, and my acros are showing excellent growth and color. I'm not changing bulbs until I see a reason to.

17. rs1831

rs1831 Active Member

I would like this answered as well. Thanks!

18. Platehead

Platehead Active Member

I'm still unsure about the true correct answer to when it is time to change the bulbs. Over the 3 years I have been in the hobby, I have come across a select few, including myself, who don't change there bulbs during the span 8-12 months. My current ATI bulbs have been running for about 2 years now. I have not had a single algae outbreak and my tank has not shown any ill effects. Im wondering if over this time have the lights gained a spectrum previously not there? This tank is mostly LPS with fish and 4 RBTA. The favias are showing great color, flesh size and adequate growth rate. Tank 29g with a refugium.

19. ATI North America

This should be no problem at all as long as it is a High Output fixture. Be sure the fixture calls for the exact same wattage bulbs as your ATI fixture/bulbs:
    24w 24"
    39w 36"
    54w 48"
    80w 60"

Cheers

awais98 likes this.
  20. Sabellafella

Sabellafella Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

@ATI North America whats the dilemma with running the bulbs, with the lable side facing upward on the opposite side of the vent hole openings on the dimmable and powermod(aka completely upsidedown backwards. Honestly my whole life,i just tossed the bulbs in however i wanted untill i seen this thread. Thank you

drawman and Joshky like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted