Proper Times and Techniques for Replacing your T5 Bulbs

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by ATI North America, Feb 16, 2015.

1. adhd_nerd

adhd_nerd Active Member Partner Member 2018

Dang It. Have to flip my bulbs. Not the easiest thing to do in my setup :(. Oh well good to know the reason for the label being on the vent side. Thanks.

2. s2nhle

s2nhle Valuable Member

hahaha, at least you have 6-12 months to save some cash for the bulbs.

3. Tom Swell

Tom Swell Active Member

Makes sense. thanks.

4. naecO rM

naecO rM Member

Hi ATI , is this true that dimmable bulb has shorter life time than not dimmable?

5. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

No it is 99% false. The only part of it that is true is if you fail to season your bulbs at 100% for 50 hours (hence the 1%), then it will crush your bulb life span. This is likely where the misinformation is coming from. If you burn in your bulbs dimming them will not impact lifespan.

6. naecO rM

naecO rM Member

Thank you.

7. s2nhle

s2nhle Valuable Member

Great Information.

8. Rich Kapoor

Rich Kapoor Active Member

Bulbs installed into non-dimmable fixtures require a 50 hour burn in period as well?

9. Sabellafella

Sabellafella Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Short answer nope, just for the dimmable. All bulbs have to be burned in to perform correctly (witch in your case isnt really necessary) but it needs to be done before adding to a dimmable fixture.

10. Sabellafella

Sabellafella Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

@ATI North America hello all! Figured instead of a quick email, might as well toss this up here because im sure its a crucial subject. My fans arent working too stellar compared to last year around this time. In the summer, i usually will run my house around 70°F witch usually will keep my tanks and fixtures up to par without any swings or occuring issues. Around now, my dimmable sunpower keeps tripping into safe mode due to the warmer climate. Im pretty good with service on my fixtures, just would like to know what you guys recommend on fan service. Fixtures 2 years now, replace? Or lubricate?

11. Sabellafella

Just found the video on changing the dimmable factory fan setting but rather not play with that untill last resort.

Also have a sunpower and pm laying around collecting dust, can i use those fans to replace my dimmable ones?

Also has anyone gutted a dimmable into a powermodule body before?

Thank you in advanced!

12. pirate2876

pirate2876 Well-Known Member

Hi @ATI North America , someone was saying your fixtures have a higher wattage ballast than other T5 kits. Is this true?

13. Leadfooted

Leadfooted Active Member

Does this mean it takes up to 50 hours of use before the bulb reaches full intensity with light output? In other words the bulb's light output gradually intensifies during the first 50 hours the plateaus?

14. Sabellafella

Dont quote me =) but i think the burn in period is to burn the phosphorus equaly through the bulb before using the dimmable option. For bulb dimming purposes only

Myka likes this.
  15. ATI North America

Hello Pirate,
    This is kind of true. ATI uses HO (high output) ballasts, while many "run of the mill" fixtures are normal output. For example our ballasts run 48" bulbs at 54w while a standard normal output is only 28w.

Hello Leadfooted,
    No this does not have to do with high intensity, Sabellafella below is what it is about.

Correct, the bulb needs to be at 100% to evenly distribute the phosphors inside the tube. They get a bit "baked on". If you do not burn them in at 100% the phosphors may not distribute and you can have uneven color and a great deal of added wear and tear on the bulbs.

Sabellafella likes this.
  16. rock_lobster

rock_lobster Valuable Member R2R Supporter

what is the reason for changing t5s at 12 months? If coral look healthy and no algae outbreak. I can see it as preventative, but I've had mine running for 2 years straight 12 hours a day and tank looks better than ever. mixed reef with SPS, LPS and softies.

17. ATI North America

The output of 24 month old is likely in the 50-60% range compared to the new output. The spectrum is also likely considerably shifted from the original.

18. Myka

Myka Well-Known Member

@ATI North America Could you please answer Sabellafella's question about fan maintenance? I just dust them off. Do they need lubricant?

drawman likes this.
  19. Jeremy Willis

Jeremy Willis Member

Where can I buy replacement fans for your light? My fan died.

20. ATI North America

I am sorry I missed the other questions in the thread about the fans.
    A few things to note:
    • You can purchase replacements at your local dealer, or at store.atinorthamerica.com they include a new fan cover but not the plastic rivets to hold the fan cover to the fixture.
    • You will get the best performance out of the fans by regularly blowing them out with compressed air. Be sure and hold the fan still when doing so to prevent over-spinning the fan.
    • Powermodule and Sunpower fans are not the same
    • You can test fans using a 9v battery to ensure its the fan that is problematic not something else on the fixture.
    • LED Powermodules and Dimmable Sunpower fixtures have temperature controlled fans, they only run when needed however you can still set the max voltage/speed.

Draft saved Draft deleted