Proper Times and Techniques for Replacing your T5 Bulbs

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by ATI North America, Feb 16, 2015.

1. naecO rM

naecO rM Active Member

Hi ATI NA,
    Just wondering how often I have to change ballasts if my lamps working 12hours per day? I have T5 ATI powermodule.
    After 2-5years will be good or I have to change them only if the ballast doesn't work?
    How I can check if the ballast is not reduce the power of the light intensity?
    What brands of ballast you will recommend for 39w and 54w tubes?
    Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017

2. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I am not aware of any reason to change ballasts prior to ballast failure. I am also unaware of any way to determine output without specialized knowledge and equipment. Simply checking wattage would not account for loss of efficiency which is what would likely happen if anything. Frankly, I wouldn't sweat it. You are better off replacing reflectors and lamps to maximize your output vs ballast.

ATI uses HEP ballasts in all fixtures.

naecO rM likes this.
  3. Punchanello

Punchanello Member

Hi All,
    I'm new to t5 and not sure if this question has been answered - When we talk about burn in time, does it mean the light has to burning in for 50 hrs continuously or can it be for over a series of uses?

4. ecam

ecam Active Member NJRC Member

Takes 50 hours of burn for the light to burn in and achieve the desired spectrum.

For dimmables it would take 50 hrs of burn before you should try to dim them.

It can be achieved over time not in one continuous lighting session

5. Punchanello

Punchanello Member

Great, thanks ecam.

6. insectkiller2005

insectkiller2005 Member

Hi is it ok to run t5s at less than 100 % I have the new 2017 hybrid 6 tube and with all bulbs on already have good par level readings from the seneye . Adding leds drives this even higher so have to keep them very low which visually get masked by the t5s and lose the shimmer effect .

7. ATI North America

You only want to dim your T5s below 100% after the 50 hour burn in period has completed. Once this has been done then you can dim all you need. If you are worried about too much PAR I would recommend lifting the light considerably during this time then lower it.

8. MJC

MJC Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Is there any study/proof other than aesthetically pleasing that dimming is beneficial to coral?
    In other words if you happen to have a hybrid unit and are tired of burning in bulbs couldn't you just have the bulbs go on and off? Thus eliminating the need for burning in. I mean before dimming was available people kept coral right?

9. siggy

siggy Which way do I go R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Hello, I have seen several post about changing out at the 8-12 months. Are you able to estimate when the tubes become brittle and absolutely NEED to be replaced. Mine are purely supplemental and can go slightly longer

10. ATI North America

MJC, the dimming is primarily a human desire. People enjoy having a nice sunrise and sunset primarily. It can be useful for coral acclimation and other things, but to answer your questions you can absolutely simply turn them on and off.

I have never heard of glass becoming brittle. I imagine if you don't need the output for coral growth it will be more about when you want it to look good since spectral shift will happen.

11. siggy

siggy Which way do I go R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I am a 30 plus year electrician and have had numerous fluorescent tubes break at the hot spot simply from expansion and contraction.

12. ATI North America

Gotcha, guessing this wasn't in an active cooled ATI fixture however, I would suspect this would be pretty nominal since its going to be a fraction of the temperature vs an office fixture for example.

siggy likes this.
  13. vanreefer

vanreefer Member

I plan to burn in my new bulbs for 50 straight hours using a new ATI 8 x54w dimmable fixture. Are there any issues with running either the bulbs or fixture for that long?
    Thanks
    VR

14. ATI North America

It is no problem at all! I would just check the normal things like be sure your fan is running etc. (it is temperature controlled, so you may have to wait for it to warm up)

You can run it on manual, just use the menu to select manual, set it to 100% and leave it be.

15. vanreefer

vanreefer Member

Thanks!!

16. Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey Valuable Member

Now I have to flip around my T5 fixture and ensure all the labels are on the vent holes side ... when I get home today. Thanks for the "tip"! ;)

ATI North America likes this.
  17. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018 NJRC Member

Ati what is your thoughts on the brs investigates?

18. ATI North America

I have watched some of them, but not all. Was there something specific?

19. xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy Member

Yeah, BRS just put out a video on spectrum shifts and par loss with ATI bulbs.

20. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018 NJRC Member

What @xiaoxiy said

Draft saved Draft deleted