Proper Times and Techniques for Replacing your T5 Bulbs

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by ATI North America, Feb 16, 2015.

1. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Interesting info, really glad they did the study! However I don't feel it was really anything new or different from what we have been telling people for years. It is nice to see someone else collaborate what we have stated: properly seasoned bulbs - dimming does not reduce bulb life span. I am really glad they specifically called out the burn in period (while 100hrs is excessive or double what we recommend)

I guess I am a little surprised the bulb degradation was not as high as I expected after the simulated 1 year time span, I suppose that is because most people run them longer than (going on memory here) 7:15 per day. I expected it to be closer to upper teens to low 20's after 1 of use. I look forward to the "next year" of usage report.

I imagine different ballasts would cause different amounts as well. I'd say that would be a good study, but many of the T5 ballast manufactures are out of business so it is probably a moot point.

What did you all think?

DSC reef likes this.

2. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018 NJRC Member

I think it’s hard to simulate a years use in three months with anything. It’s not really real world conditions.

That being said I think you make a good product and it showed in their test.

And for people like me who only use t5 as supliment lighting I will maby go over a year before replacing my bulbs but for anyone who’s main lighting is t5s I would still change out my bulbs annually as your reef depends on it.

DSC reef likes this.
  3. Punchanello

Punchanello Member

I thought it was great that BRS were able to confirm ATI's information. I got the LED powermodule because I wanted T5s but replacing any more than 4 tubes every 10-12 months at AU$50 each was starting to stretch my already lean reef budget.

Knowing that I can use them comfortably for 12 months with limited loss of par and shift of spectrum (especially if I stagger bulb changes) made me even happier with my purchase. The icing on the cake was the confirmation that dimming isn't the issue it is sometimes made out to be.

4. s2nhle

s2nhle Valuable Member

12 months seem to be reasonable for the light bulb.

5. ATI North America

I highly encourage anyone with a Dimmable fixture to create a "burn in station". A simple ballast with end caps so you can run your bulbs a couple of days straight to burn them in. Once complete you can mark them with a sharpie on the end so you know its complete. This way you can swap out 1 bulb every 4-6-8-10 weeks or whatever suits your needs. Just be sure and also date the bulbs when you put them in so you know when they need swapped as well. A fine tip sharpie on the metal end works great.

6. Myka

Myka Valuable Member

Exactly what I do. I use an old Hagen 2-bulb fixture that I setup with a fan blowing on it. I burn in a year's worth of bulbs in a week. Works like a charm.

Question: Are the bulbs supposed to be horizontal when they burn in or does it not matter? I assume they should be horizontal so that's what I've done.

7. ATI North America

I don't have an answer for this so I will find out. My personal burn in station bulbs are vertical so its a good question! I believe the static charge the distributes the phosphors will far overpower gravity, but I will look into it and see if I can find a solid answer.

Myka likes this.
  8. ATI North America

I confirmed bulb orientation is irrelevant for burn in period. It does not matter how you have it situated.

Myka likes this.
  9. Myka

Myka Valuable Member

Excellent! I'll start standing it on end then! Thank you for following up!

10. JMM744

JMM744 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Any tips for ease of changing bulbs. Big fingers make it hard to grip and twist bulbs.
    Thanks, Jim

11. Mike810

Mike810 Member

I put on a pair of latex gloves when changing out my bulbs. It helps to grip the bulbs easier and no transfer of oils onto the bulbs.

12. naecO rM

naecO rM Active Member

Hi,
    I heard that after change the curve of T5 unit (as example for tank maintenance we lifted one side of light unit) the spectrum is changed and again the bulbs should be "burned" for 50 hours before use dimmer again.
    is that true?

13. ATI North America

Hello naecO rM, I am not certain I understand what you are saying, but once a bulb is burned in there is no reason to do it again unless you buy new bulbs. Rotating the bulbs, moving the fixture or putting it in storage has no impact or the bulb that would require it to be burned in again.

naecO rM likes this.
  14. naecO rM

naecO rM Active Member

Thank you.
    So is not necessary to burn bulbs again even if bulbs from horizotal position moved to vertical and then back to normal position?
    If once bulbs are burned, the second burning process is not related with powder inside the bulb and spectrum of the lamps not changed too?

15. ATI North America

You are correct, there is no need for a second burn in period regardless of orientation of the bulb. If for example the bulb was burned in at the factory it could be shipped from Germany to USA, to the dealer and to you and not require an additional burn in when received.

naecO rM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted