Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok:

FO/FOWLR: ~1100- 1150

ULNS: ~1150-1250

SOFT: ~1200

MIXED REEF: ~1350-1500

SPS DOMINANT: ~1280- 1400

More Mg for special LPS and SPS that need more and Tridacna clams.

If it gets over it doesn't matter really the whole range for

No Corals: 1000-1300

Corals: 1200-1500 MAX

The most important is to maintain a balance between Ca, Mg and Alk levels, it has to be balanced and not one too much and one too less.
:)

what is the rationale for those suggested values, or for that matter, the need for “balance”?

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the rationale for those suggested values, or for that matter, the need for “balance”?

Skeletogenesis is the process by which special cells within the corals soft tissue, combine the foundation elements together with Strontium and Barium from the surrounding water to form the building blocks of coral skeletons.
Corals build approximately 90% of their skeleton by combining Ca and CO3 ions from the water to form Aragonite (CaCO3 ). The rest of the skeleton is made up from Magnesite (MgCO3 ), Strontianite (SrCO3 ), Calcite (a more brittle crystal structure of CaCO3 ), Fluorite (CaF2 ) and other minor and trace minerals. In unbalanced conditions such as low levels of Mg and/or Sr the skeleton will develop with a higher proportion of Calcite making it more brittle and more susceptible to damage. The foundation elements complement each other in the formation of coral skeleton and if not available in the correct ratios one of them will quickly become the limiting factor of healthy coral growth.

That was from researching I forgot source
and after some more research: (for reef)

Balanced: Ca: 460, Alk 11-12, 1400-1500 Ca: 430, Alk 9, Mg 1290

Unbalanced: Ca: 4500, Alk 7, Mg 1200

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol was he testing me?
I don't think so. Many science minded individuals enjoy advice based in fact rather than anecdotal evidence or hearsay, and if you have new factual evidence I am sure he would like to hear it.

Also saying "This advice is based from my experience" is a valid answer. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey you're a reef chemist

im questioning your rationale as I don’t agree with the asserted numbers, and also whether there is evidence that particular ratios or balance are better than other ratios.

my advice is to keep calcium at 400-550 ppm, and magnesium at 1250-1400. Within those ranges, I don’t think there are any clear problems.

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im questioning your rationale as I don’t agree with the asserted numbers, and also whether there is evidence that particular ratios or balance are better than other ratios.

my advice is to keep calcium at 400-550 ppm, and magnesium at 1250-1400. Within those ranges, I don’t think there are any clear problems.

ya see even u say Mg at 1250-1400. I think that way too... 1400 for mixed reef is what I said and 1250 for soft and ULNS But for FOWLR since there is no corals it acceptable to keep Mg levels at 1100

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

but back to the topic: that guy has Mg: 1600, its not an emergency or its not too serious but its a little too high :/
i mean I like my Mg levels at~1300 IMO. and thats what I kept it at in my 2 nano reefs (only with soft corals and zoas and an anemone)
my calcium levels were at 400.
Also EDIT on my last reply i wrote 4500 but its 450
and found the thing
1590196406062.png

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes very true 1600 is way too high.
For FOWLR and ULNR it is best to have magnesium of 1000 -1100
and for SPS dominant = 1280
and mixed reef= 1350-1400MAX
I have the same refractometer (MA887) as you and I also have an instant ocean hydrometer and 4 apex probes
(ORP, pH, Temp, Salinity) and a trident for (CA, MAG and ALK)
I also have a full set of hanna checkers
for (Ammonia, Nitrite, Phos, CA, MAG, and pH)
and also a nutrafin saltwater master test kit 10 parameters for backup in case i run outta reagents
You say you want to use the triton method. Fine
Just make sure you have an extra large refugium.
Recommended: Trigger Systems: Triton line of sumps. They are designed to suit this metod.
You should start out with an algae barn refugium starter pack (L) with chaeto
and you should have good dosers like 2-3 neptune DOS with trident and apex or the ecotech ones
buy the ICP tests and get a good skimmer like reef octopus or NYoS and buy a set of core7s
get a couple of good media reactors with carbon and other media (Torq)
Tank just finished cycling 3 weeks ago. Nitrate is up to 10 ppm now but no P04 yet.
So yes I need to get the fuge going.
I1s2wCewT2yccf5Sfsi42w.jpg
5wKYtsl3Tqy7K2WO8kn88Q.jpg
uXU54mfSRNKUNCRc4csrww.jpg
xLfkUSpgTgy4nYm3YOUhyg.jpg
EhowewSeT2STRD2cicHGwA.jpg
mSxn3dJsTk+NrcQmWL2Pow.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but back to the topic: that guy has Mg: 1600, its not an emergency or its not too serious but its a little too high :/

If it is real, I agree. But I think test error is much more likely than an actual value that high.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is real, I agree. But I think test error is much more likely than an actual value that high.
Thanks for staying with me. I am thinking and hoping it's the test and me but we shall sone find out as I got the email that they have my sample and saud 2-3 days today is day 2
In the meantime I decided to dose Triton normal and not check Mag
This morning Alk was 7.5 Cal was 433 I dosed 4 ml #1 & 2 have 3a & b mixed dosed 8 ml
now Alk 7.2 Cal 429

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk and Cal seem to be liking my ml #'s this morning they were 7.1ppm and 425ppm repeated same dose as yesterday when it was 4 and 8 ml 2 times. might want to tweak it this afternoon to bring alk more towards 8 ml and cal more towards 440 ppm. I have a Salifert Mag test coming
\

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Tropic Marin Pro-Reef
I received an email from Triton yesterday and they have my water sample. The first one for this new reef aquarium. It will be interesting to see what value they have for Mag.
I would love to just stop measuring it and I know that there are people that have beautiful reef aquariums and don't test for Mag. Myself on the other hand can't stop because I realy need to understand why my tests are wrong what other test kit would you recomend?
Same for me.
It Turns out that Mag is high but not to much but at the same time the ICP test showed all kinds of problems with metals and I am going to go over everything to try to find the source but I just don't see it. They have quite the list of things I need and do.
Here is my ICP test result. I have to digest this and come up with a plan to fix.
I will take any suggestions on the best way to start and get things done.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't agonize over the tin. Not high enough.

Copper is unusual, but likely not a problem, at least not yet. I've had it at 13 ppb without apparent issue.

Aluminum is getting up there. Any white media or white bacteria substrates?

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't agonize over the tin. Not high enough.

Copper is unusual, but likely not a problem, at least not yet. I've had it at 13 ppb without apparent issue.

Aluminum is getting up there. Any white media or white bacteria substrates?
For Last week I was seeing a lot white dots on the glass and I ment to ask what kind of algae it was then I started to see the rocks starting to get what looked like the start of cycno so IU dosed Vibrant

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't see what would be the cause is it because I am dosing Triton and don't have the fuge setup yet ?

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other thing I can think of is to test my new saltwater mix from Tropic Marin Pro Mix

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back