Properly Placing New Scoly and Cynarina in the sandbed

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the coral game and added my first scoly and cynarina today. I understand these coral do best in the substrate and considering these are my first coral I plan on keeping on the sandbed I figured I would ask the community for advice. FWIW my substrate is a coarse "reef flakes."

The scoly and cynarina I purchased are currently mounted on frag plugs, so what is the best way to display these on my substrate? Should I cut off the stem and lay them flat, attempt to remove the skeleton from the plug and put the skeleton in the sandbed, attempt to create some sort of flat "base" with epoxy, etc.?

Thanks again for the advice everyone!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the coral game and added my first scoly and cynarina today. I understand these coral do best in the substrate and considering these are my first coral I plan on keeping on the sandbed I figured I would ask the community for advice. FWIW my substrate is a coarse "reef flakes."

The scoly and cynarina I purchased are currently mounted on frag plugs, so what is the best way to display these on my substrate? Should I cut off the stem and lay them flat, attempt to remove the skeleton from the plug and put the skeleton in the sandbed, attempt to create some sort of flat "base" with epoxy, etc.?

Thanks again for the advice everyone!
Place in area if moderate light and water flow where sand won’t get all over the scoly

MrPiGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread however, I am getting a scoli soon and would love to hear what you ended up deciding on and if it worked. Thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back