Prophylactic Treatment vs. Reactive (QT)

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having a discussion in discord last night about the pros/cons of prophylactic treatment vs. observation within a QT system. I can see benefits and draw backs to both sides, but I was curious to see what opinion you have and your shared experiences.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether or not to prophylactically treat has more to do with YOU than the FISH.

Are you an overly observant person? Will you notice little things like elevated breathing, head twitching, yawning, etc. which necessitates further investigation/treatment? Do you have 15-20 minutes every single day to sit in front of your QT to watch for scratching, flashing, swimming into the flow of a powerhead, etc.? If so, passive observation might just work for you.

However, if you are always on the go, busy/hectic schedule or just don't notice the little things; then it would be wise to implement some form of prophylaxis when it comes to diseases.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally, prophylactic treatment no matter what. I have a camera setup to monitor my QT for symptoms, but I would rather run them through my protocol then take the chance. Two fallow periods in a year changed my thinking. So far I have had great success only losing one fish, and only because it would never eat. I have 3 in QT right now. To much velvet going around for me to just observe and then hope I can treat in time if I see symptoms. I would rather just treat them and be confident they are disease free.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many suppliers and LFS are dosing their fish with sub therapeutic levels of copper and other half measures of meds these days. They do it to keep losses down and fish still looking sellable. Problem is then you or me buy a fish or two from them, and in a few days the copper wears off and velvet, brook, ich, uronema, bacterial infections, etc. comes roaring back, often without warning or the usual symptoms. Not good. Lost a whole tank of fish in QT a few months back. Really sad. The whole tank was gone within 4 days and no visible symptoms until day 3.
Since I started prophylactically treating, starting with copper first and soon, and then General Cure, I haven't lost any fish to disease. Lesson learned. ;)

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many suppliers and LFS are dosing their fish with sub therapeutic levels of copper and other half measures of meds these days. They do it to keep losses down and fish still looking sellable. Problem is then you or me buy a fish or two from them, and in a few days the copper wears off and velvet, brook, ich, uronema, bacterial infections, etc. comes roaring back, often without warning or the usual symptoms. Not good. Lost a whole tank of fish in QT a few months back. Really sad. The whole tank was gone within 4 days and no visible symptoms until day 3.
Since I started prophylactically treating, starting with copper first and soon, and then General Cure, I haven't lost any fish to disease. Lesson learned. ;)

Did you find out why you lost the whole tank? That really sucks man... If you check my post history, I just lost my entire QT 2 weeks back (Hence why some of my questions).

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find out why you lost the whole tank? That really sucks man... If you check my post history, I just lost my entire QT 2 weeks back (Hence why some of my questions).
Turned out it was velvet which quickly turned into secondary gram negative bacterial infections. 6 fish dead in 4 days.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would say I’m half and half. When I get them I usually put them in GC or prazi then after that observe for a few weeks. I don’t do other meds unless i See something during those weeks.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back