Proposed fix for leaking Kamoer pumpheads (including Mastertronic)

erichuyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry misread it! Sadly I don't know and it difficult to find...found it for the alkatronic but no definite on the mastertronic...

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up using this. It's 1/8 ID, which is 3.175mm and the manual calls for 3.2mmID tubing for the *external* hoses, so I took a chance and it seems to be working just fine. I didn't replace all the hoses since they were a bit of a pain to get to, but I got the ones with the most gunk in them.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for sharing your design with the reefing community! Sincerely appreciate it!

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a follow up for those interested…

It took about an hour to implement the spacers and change out the hoses. I didn’t disconnect any other hoses or wires. Looking from the back side, I just pulled out the left side a little more than the right and I was able to access all the pumps without removing the carousel.

Just make sure you have the hoses connected properly and reference the picture I attached even if you think you have it right. It’s easy to get the hoses mixed up during installation.

I’m guessing old hose C was a few tests away from leaking. Formed a split down the middle. Very happy to have all new hoses installed.

Thanks again Jeremy for sharing this with us!

D5BFF1D6-7AF2-4556-99A9-E39AEF520A0C.png

OP
OP
S

sector9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing your design with the reefing community! Sincerely appreciate it!

Just a follow up for those interested…

It took about an hour to implement the spacers and change out the hoses. I didn’t disconnect any other hoses or wires. Looking from the back side, I just pulled out the left side a little more than the right and I was able to access all the pumps without removing the carousel.

Just make sure you have the hoses connected properly and reference the picture I attached even if you think you have it right. It’s easy to get the hoses mixed up during installation.

I’m guessing old hose C was a few tests away from leaking. Formed a split down the middle. Very happy to have all new hoses installed.

Thanks again Jeremy for sharing this with us!

D5BFF1D6-7AF2-4556-99A9-E39AEF520A0C.png
You’re welcome! Hopefully as more people install the spacers, we can get more feedback to evaluate if they are helpful

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’re welcome! Hopefully as more people install the spacers, we can get more feedback to evaluate if they are helpful
If you are happy with yours so far, I’m sure we will be as well!

I am surprised Focustronic hasn’t addressed this. This will be an issue for most users unless Kamoer released a revision that I don’t know about. Focustronic has replaced hoses, but has not released a fix. Without the spacers, it will happen again to new hoses.

Last edited:

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sent me replacement hoses. I was hoping they'd send me entirely new heads.
I'm curious if this was just one run of bad heads. I have 4 other Kamoer pumps with the same (or same looking) heads. While they don't run nearly as much*, they're not showing any signs of wear when I've checked them.

*Or maybe they do, I guess I've never done the math.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I popped pump B off to see how the hose was doing after doing about 150 tests since the install of the aftermarket hose and bushings. Here is what we have.

u0BNmFA.jpg

P7E0PY5.jpg

After rubbing off some of the black stuff it looks like the hose is a little mushed(as it should be) but otherwise perfectly fine.

So far so good.

Side notes: I replaced the rubber tops for the glass vials, but I still have not changed my needles. I just did my 3rd round of calibrations and the unit has been working flawlessly with a total of 540 tests done so far.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my B head tubing decided to blow this week after ~200 tests... To make frustration worse Coralvue have no replacements in stock and getting the tubing from China is easily going to take a month... sigh

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my B head tubing decided to blow this week after ~200 tests... To make frustration worse Coralvue have no replacements in stock and getting the tubing from China is easily going to take a month... sigh

Bulk reef supply is the new supplier for the US but as of a few days ago they were still waiting for their shipment of replacement parts.

I have some of the ebay tubing if you need one now. PM me if you want. Also, fwiw, when I ordered the ebay tubing it took about 3 weeks.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throw that Kamoer garbage in the trashcan and pop on the cheapest Jebao heads. Have them on for a year now without any single issue.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to the Jebao heads? Thanks.
Sorry, i had a bunch left from a defect doser.
I should also note that only the ones with red innerparts work. Had also one with white innerparts and that one slipped on the axle (or maybe it was just stuck i don't know).

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, i had a bunch left from a defect doser.
I should also note that only the ones with red innerparts work. Had also one with white innerparts and that one slipped on the axle (or maybe it was just stuck i don't know).
Just checked that one with the white innerparts which i still had laying around and yes it was stuck. So all Jebao's should work.

They don't click tight on the motor by the way. Just slide them on and they stay in position. I used a piece of ductape to be sure they stay on.

OP
OP
S

sector9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throw that Kamoer garbage in the trashcan and pop on the cheapest Jebao heads. Have them on for a year now without any single issue.
Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

A little birdy told me that Kamoer redesigned their pumpheads so that the casing isn’t as sharp so hopefully this leaking issue stops happening

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little birdy told me that Kamoer redesigned their pumpheads so that the casing isn’t as sharp so hopefully this leaking issue stops happening
What would be even better is if they would send replacements out to all of us with those pump heads, or, at least to all of us that have contacted them about it. When my pumps went bad they sent me new tubes (though I pushed for new heads) and I'm sure the new tubes are going to rip at some point too. I did add the spacer, but for how much I paid for this, I shouldn't have to own a 3D printer to keep it up and running.

And, for $1300, I'll return it before I have to resort to
a piece of ductape to be sure they stay on.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back