Prorocentrum dinos

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help battling prorocentrum dinos. I recently was battling high phosphates around .18-.2 but have now got them under control around .06-.08 but I think that dropping them started a dino bloom. I have been fighting them for about a week now, dosing phyto, pods and microbactor7. I have a UV sterilizer but have been reading mixed reviews if I should be using it for the type of dinos I have. I also have a bag of oceans direct live sand I've been considering sucking out all the dinos on the sand bed and adding the new live sand back on top, not sure if this is a good idea or not. So far I only my torch coral seems to be affected by it My tank is 3'x2' around 100 gal total water volume. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
PXL_20210505_010215749.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly looks like prorocentrum to me. The UV sterilizer won't hurt anything, but it's not going to be as great of a cure for these specific dinos as it is for ostreopsis.

I'd highly recommend reading through the dino thread, and don't be afraid to try a lot of things. It's a slow process, and even the best treatments have low success rates. One of them will work for your tank, eventually. It's just finding which one.

I found success with UV, dosing phosphates and nitrates, phyto and dinoX. But I had ostreopsis.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly looks like prorocentrum to me. The UV sterilizer won't hurt anything, but it's not going to be as great of a cure for these specific dinos as it is for ostreopsis.

I'd highly recommend reading through the dino thread, and don't be afraid to try a lot of things. It's a slow process, and even the best treatments have low success rates. One of them will work for your tank, eventually. It's just finding which one.

I found success with UV, dosing phosphates and nitrates, phyto and dinoX. But I had ostreopsis.
Thanks! I don't think phos and nitrates are the issue at this point. I kicked my UV back on and upped the flow. I'll check out the dino thread and keep baffling.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you solve for your dinos yet?
Still battling, dosing phyto and microbactor7 daily. Manually cleaning my sand and rock as much as possible. It doesn't seem like it's getting worse but not getting better either. I'm going to try and add some seeded bio bricks to the sump as well to see if I can get as much new bio diversity as I can. After that I'll try dosing silicates.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back