Pros and cons of a harlequin tusk

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs received a tusk and I’m interested in getting it. Has seeing the pros and cons of adding to a mixed reef with other fish.

OP
OP
M

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for that. That definitely made up my mind was I have a blue spot jaw fish otw and much rather have him than the tusk. Thank you again for that!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for that. That definitely made up my mind was I have a blue spot jaw fish otw and much rather have him than the tusk. Thank you again for that!
And the blue spotted jawfish isn’t an inexpensive fish, either. I can’t imagine what a 6-8” tuskfish would be like in my tank...

OP
OP
M

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That it’s definitely not. I paid 150$ for it. Looks like the going price for them

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope @OrionN might weigh in. He's got experience with HTs.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tusk is a must have fish for me… have kept one almost constantly in at least one of my tanks since ‘73!

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely amazing fish in person, probably my favorite looking reef fish but it almost seems like a hawk/puffer when it comes to risk to other inhabitants.

Them teef...

OP
OP
M

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame hawk he’s an awesome one. Hides under a rock when he sees me knowing he’s about to get fed.

Specfishin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 now. My 1st one was a friendly showboat. Always came over for the camera and food. Swam alot. I had a 75g heavy acros but mixed reef. Snails and stars were all i could keep for cleanup. Shrimp was hit or miss. He grew to over 5" was very friendly with all the others. From small mandarin to fellow sized tang and foxface. Best fish ever if you dont mind not having ornamental shrimp or clams possibly. Didnt even eat my large feather dusters. Just another point of view from the opposite spectrum. I also fed him daily to every other with krill and larger mysis. He did ultimately disappear, clean up crew mustve completely took care of it cause i couldnt find any trace.

The newer one is pretty docile and i had to pull the clown wrasse since it was bullying him. Now all 11 fish are harmonious. Another 75g. In a few months the 300 will be set up. He is medium maybe 3" size. Not shy and already comes over to me at the tankside. I will always have one in my tanks. Just keep em fed often. I find if you keep your hungry fellows fed well, they generally stay nice. Just my experiences. Good luck but have fun.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted one these fish and asked in a thread about them and someone told me that harlequin tusk fish if well fed will not attack other fish or cuc members at all.
I decided not to get one as any fish can be different than the norm and be more aggressive than others experience but they sure are beautiful fish ^_^

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine when he was small, overall a great fish but you are admitting your CUC is a meal whenever he wants it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back