Pros vs Cons: Rimless Aquariums vs Traditional Braced Aquariums

Pros vs Cons: Which type of aquarium do you prefer?

• Rimless Aquarium

Votes: 239 72.0%
  • Traditional Braced Aquarium

Votes: 93 28.0%

• Total voters

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Had to make a quick switch and was just tired of having to grab a stool to get up in my 90 to reach the bottom and I'm 6' tall. I've always been a fan of the shallows having a wide footprint for depth without having to add gallonage. Second floor apartment currently.

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inside matters more to me than whats on the outside so I'm much more of a function over form. None of my house decor is the modern minimalistic look so it isn't important enough for me to pay extra for a rimless. I also don't use sleek fixtures or want to suspend my lighting. I prefer canopy to keep light from spilling into the room as much as possible especially if tank is located in bedroom or TV room.

I don't see myself ever using a rimless just isn't important to me.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure can!! I had a 90 with a 14 refugium plumbed in under it and about 10gal volume in the sump as well. I did my water test in the 80 while the 90 was full as well. Probably not a great idea long term, but it got me to thinking. I did mention to the wife that the floor seemed fine under 170 gallons worth of tank. She was not amused.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
525XL WOOT WOOT. Don't forget there's a bigger one coming soon! 750XXL

IMG_2724.JPG

very nice and you have the kessil AP700 on there? DO you like them? I was looking at 3 Hydra 26HD or the Radeon equivalent. I think the 750 might be too much for my house lol but who knows. xD

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never owned a rimless tank, they look nice. I like glass tanks mostly due to scratching. I have had t medium to small braced tanks fail. one was a 55 gallon, gave me no indication any thing was wrong we were watching TV and the front bottom seam split water hit the ceiling drain in less than 2 minutes. the other my dogs got I n a fight so it was not a tank fail but they knocked a 30 gallon over that was on the old iron stands of yester year.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually surprised at the votes on the rimless aquarium. Its a preference to what you like....like home décor.
I have a custom 255 rimless aquarium. I really like the look of the rimless. Much cleaner look IMO.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rimless tank and I think it looks way better. But on the other hand if I hand a big tank 180 plus I would go with a braced tank just for the extra support. Idk anyone that would want 180+ gallons of s/w on there floor but that my My opinion

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back