Pros vs Cons: Rimless Aquariums vs Traditional Braced Aquariums

Pros vs Cons: Which type of aquarium do you prefer?

• Rimless Aquarium

Votes: 239 72.0%
  • Traditional Braced Aquarium

Votes: 93 28.0%

• Total voters

Giancarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the rimless tank, and I love top down view of corals and especially clams, so it's a no brainer for me!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337122033.198192.jpg

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both and love the pros of both but braced tanks really require a canopy to complete the set up while a rimless tends to look cleaner and allows for easier access into the tank.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the slightest work in the tank on my rimless cube causes water to slosh out of the tank. I hate it, and will never own another rimless tank. Just cleaning algae becomes a surgical chore...
I just turn my return off and this isn't an issue...Dont think I'll ever own another style tank, rimless just looks clean...

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do like the look of a rimless tank in some scenarios, they just aren't for me...

1. I like being able to hide my DIY lighting in a canopy
2. I think the tank looks more integrated into the room when it is built like furniture
3. I like fish that jump... hence the canopy...
4. I don't like to see the water line in the tank. The rim and canopy do a good job at covering that
5. I have kids... They have small tows which they sometimes like to throw... I don't want to come home to a penny wishing well when they decide they want to throw money or other random stuff into the tank...

Some are personal preference while other reasons are functional. Maybe someday I'll have a rimless, just not at this point for sure.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4. I don't like to see the water line in the tank. The rim and canopy do a good job at covering that

That's my only aesthetic issue with them. To me it no longer looks like a window/snap shot into a reef, but more like a tidal pool. Which is great if that's the look you are going for.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the rimless look but wanted the piece of mind of some bracing and a place to set stuff while working on the tank so I went with euro bracing.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be going into my first rimless very soon. decided to go with an ADA 120-P instead of an acrylic build i was looking at. Will do a build thread and update. I currently have my 180g acrylic with bracing and i don't care for it (old wide bracing) since i run halides and it gets pretty hot on top. also scratching acrylic is a PAIN...

dedubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48x48x12 rimless it's beautiful for sure, but the sloshing, and my dam cleanup crew always crawls out and my cat finds them on the floor. Jumpers is another issue even if you put a screen on top which I do there is no way to truly secure the screen so it wont move around easily, thus still allowing jumpers to easily escape R.I.P. my poor yellow coris wrasse. And my female clown has jumped out trying to attack my hand as I put it in to move a coral, luckily I saw where she landed before the cat did.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a rimmed tank as long as it does not require a center brace for stability. I love the shallow cubes (18") as you still have a very clean look with or without the light on it.
bsa

Rick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rimless/ euro braced looks way better than a big plastic rim

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tanks with rims (made by tank manufacturers) and I just recently finished a DIY 24 x 18 x 10 rimless frag tank. I LOVE the look. Here it is being water tested:

P7100020R1e.jpg

And here it is set up next to my 55g QT:

P7280013.jpg

Now I need to fill it with frags. And I want to build a bigger rimless. Maybe a 40-60g, but the wife says 4 tanks is enough... :hail:

MrG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought most Acrylic tanks were rimless? WebRep

Overall rating

This site has no rating
(not enough votes)

Back