Pros vs Cons: Rimless Aquariums vs Traditional Braced Aquariums

Pros vs Cons: Which type of aquarium do you prefer?

• Rimless Aquarium

Votes: 239 72.0%
  • Traditional Braced Aquarium

Votes: 93 28.0%

• Total voters

SeattleReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my LFS's display rimless blew out over night. Lost most everything . I'm all for the support.

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the slightest work in the tank on my rimless cube causes water to slosh out of the tank. I hate it, and will never own another rimless tank. Just cleaning algae becomes a surgical chore...

Have you tried turning off the return pump and lowering the water level before cleaning your rimless?I never had issues with water spilling over the sides while cleaning algae,etc.heck I used to use my magnet algae cleaner with all pumps running including a wavebox and didn't spill water.you just have to be slow cleaning near the top.JMO

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow is key when using my Mag-Float, else you make too big a wave and slosh water out. Still, much prefer the rimless look, and don't mind taking my time when cleaning the glass. I find that if I just dip my finger in a glass of RODI, I can eliminate any slight salt creep and residue on the inside at the water line. I have a valve on my return header, and can use it to bypass the DT altogether, or use it as a throttle and thereby control the water level. I like to drive it such that the waterline is about 3/4 to 1 inch below the top edge. I have an idea for a cover, using thick Acrylic, and routing a grove so as to fasten the clear mesh, just the same as the grove in conventionally used window framing. So far, having to have a cover is the only aesthetic drawback to a rimless.
rimlesssaltbox.jpg

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted rimless, however my last euro acrylic 90 cracked half of its top brace because of a shifting floor. Not sure what would have happened if it would have been rimless.

djurynk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My VOTe

I have never had a rimless tank and do see many of our experienced friends have mixed views. I think its a matter of taste, practicality, and functionality. True appearance appears that a RIMLESS makes sense, but those who replace water, have marine life that climbs, jumps, and of course do not suspend their lights a braced tank makes more sense. Good question and good responses.

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a rimless tank and do see many of our experienced friends have mixed views. I think its a matter of taste, practicality, and functionality. True appearance appears that a RIMLESS makes sense, but those who replace water, have marine life that climbs, jumps, and of course do not suspend their lights a braced tank makes more sense. Good question and good responses.

I must say since i have my rimless couldn't be happier. I don't know what the people complaining about loosing snail i lost 2 since i got the tank ; come on now your going to deprive yourself of that style for a few snails, WOW.

Then thier's those with water issues i'm wipping no lmore no less than my previous rimmed 65 G i had before, so poor excuse there. Bogus again.

Then their's the look of the waterline , don't like it ? Talk about looking at the glass half empty when its 3/4 full . The waterline really, you spend thousands of dollards on a tank and you look at the waterlines, talk about bad focus or you really screwed up your aquascape to look at the waterline instead of the well your work!!

The other one don't exist anymore we can put an invisible acrylic top now with small plastic braces that are sold to hold your trim and mesh look it up.

I've suspened my lights in 6 inch concrete slab with a diamond bit took some muscles but its feasible, go to the GYM you can do it from any ceiling.

Salt creep NONE whats next can't think of any...

Like the man said its a question of taste not of its more practicle this way, any excuse will be said not to choose a thing if you don't like it.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rimless 90 gallon frag tank and my 300 DT is rimmed. I honestly hate the rimless and won't get one again. Yeah they look nice but I can't stand trying to clean it with water sloshing. Also don't like the water line that much.

Basile, everything you stated is your opinion but what some of us experience and our preference is definitely NOT poor excuses. So for me a rimmed tank is way more practical. I've lived it now for a year.

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rimless is a great look. I have had both and aesthetically rimless wins but I do notice much more spilling ( water runs down the panel) when I'm putting my arms into the tank. Also it's much MUCH easier to chip an edge or corner w a rimless tank.

JOSE CASAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For many years I have only had rimless tanks and love the look. The first rimless tank i had 10 years ago I made the mistake of having the water level 3/4-1'' from the top and yes i had to be careful when cleaning the front panel like many have stated and having the water slosh out. Its was a pain! When i upgraded i made sure the water level was 1'' 1/2 from the top and never had an issue after that. When I had my 366 gal AGE rimless tank i had a custom overflow and could adjust the water level height by where i made the holes on the overflow. I had a 2'' on that tank and still looked good to me. I know the higher the cleaner it looks but i was ok with it. I never had an issue, even when it went through a couple earthquakes here in Cali. Here is a pix of the 366 gal with the water level 2''. I love rimless tanks!

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For me I just can't stand the light bleed over. I have had different lights over both kinds of tanks and I always come back to the same thing. The light bleed drives me nuts. I know this isn't exactly a hood or no hood discussion but it seems that the norm for rimless is to hang the lights. Aside from a couple other quirks that's the main reason I won't go rimless again

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried turning off the return pump and lowering the water level before cleaning your rimless?I never had issues with water spilling over the sides while cleaning algae,etc.heck I used to use my magnet algae cleaner with all pumps running including a wavebox and didn't spill water.you just have to be slow cleaning near the top.JMO

I've had this rimless cube for I don't know how long now.

Have it.

Avoid cleaning it.

Rimless tanks are just not for me I guess.

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a rimless. Wish I had a euro braced tank. I miss my rimmed tanks. I like the lack of the center brace. I miss being able to blast flow without the fear of over splash.

Clayalaleona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of rimless and I find it super amusing to wake up and follow the snail trails to rescue the dummies lol

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of rimless and I find it super amusing to wake up and follow the snail trails to rescue the dummies lol

Funny you say that. I actually found bristle worms dried up around my cube (TWICE!). Did they throw themselves out? Did the clownfish spit them out? No clue, but now I've seen it all. No more rimless tanks for me.

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say that. I actually found bristle worms dried up around my cube (TWICE!). Did they throw themselves out? Did the clownfish spit them out? No clue, but now I've seen it all. No more rimless tanks for me.

because you lost worms ????

Last edited:

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For many years I have only had rimless tanks and love the look. The first rimless tank i had 10 years ago I made the mistake of having the water level 3/4-1'' from the top and yes i had to be careful when cleaning the front panel like many have stated and having the water slosh out. Its was a pain! When i upgraded i made sure the water level was 1'' 1/2 from the top and never had an issue after that. When I had my 366 gal AGE rimless tank i had a custom overflow and could adjust the water level height by where i made the holes on the overflow. I had a 2'' on that tank and still looked good to me. I know the higher the cleaner it looks but i was ok with it. I never had an issue, even when it went through a couple earthquakes here in Cali. Here is a pix of the 366 gal with the water level 2''. I love rimless tanks!

WOW you have a really nice collection in there man. I can see 3 fish , you still have that now?

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use your left hand to hold the inside of the algae magnet and it won't splash water while you clean the top of the tank... Super easy. I have no issue with water splashing out of my rimless tank. So start at the top and go across while holding the inside part of the algae scrubber and then clean the lower parts of the tank after.

Rimless looks sooo much better and cleaner...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back